Costco Rexton Trax 42 (Product Information)

New to trax 42, fitted yesterday. Got a smart connect and find it very bad for streaming. No bass at all even with the setting for bass at it’s highest. Realistically is there any reasonable way to improve the streaming sound. I will try one of the more occlusive domes and then consider a custom earpiece, if it might work. If not I’ll simply return the smart connect and listen with earbuds and the aids out.

On this thread I get the sense that streaming may not be worth the effort? Regarding the primary reason for buying the thing, my hearing is much improved albeit with some itch in one ear. Yeah I know it’s too early to pass final judgement.

if you are wearing some type of open dome with your numbers you arent getting your money from them… still dont get thiz open dome thing. while streaming stick your fingers in your ears to seal them and get back with us.

I had my bass amped up and the treble dropped. Much better.

The best streaming I have is while doing construction or yard work. I always wear those yellow ear muffs. The streaming was much much better with the muffs on. I’ve been using open domes but am going to get some closed and see how they work.

[quote=mjd2k;126039]I had my bass amped up and the treble dropped. Much better.

The best streaming I have is while doing construction or yard work. I always wear those yellow ear muffs. The streaming was much much better with the muffs on. I’ve been using open domes but am going to get some closed and see how they work.[/QUOT
uh
you will be much happier just going to custom molds

I appreciate this discussion about the Trax 42, as you folks seem to have more knowledge about those HAs than the 3 different Costco audiologists I’ve seen. The first audiologist I saw put me in Rexton Charismo HAs without any discussion about the other HA options. 6 weeks later, I wanted to demo the Trax 42 because they have many more features than the Charismo at the same price, but the 2nd Costco audiologist convinced me to exchange them for the KS6. I have worn the KS6 for the last 6 weeks and, in my experience, they are GREAT if all you want to hear is ambient noise and have no interest in hearing speech. Finally, last week, I demoed the Trax 42 for about 30 minutes. Boy, what a pleasant difference compared to the KS6. At the full volume setting, rather than the beginner level, the Trax 42 reduced the ambient noise, enhanced speech and were very “gentle” compared to the harsh KS6 (which weren’t even at full volume). It was love at first sight. In two weeks I’m being fitted for the Trax 42 and the divorce from the KS6 should be finalized.

When having the KS6 adjusted, I asked a 3rd Costco audiologist if the Trax 42 had 42 channels and he said that they couldn’t because he’d never heard of so many channels. (KS6 have 17-18 channels.) I pulled up this tread on my cell phone and showed him that do have 42 channels. He was surprised. My understanding is that channels play a role in reducing ambient noise and enhancing speech sounds. (If I’m wrong on this, please let me know.) My experience with Costco has taught me that I really need to be an educated consumer rather than completely dependent on the audiologists.

Check out this thread with respect to a discussion on having more channels:

Thanks.

I’m a newbie, so please forgive me if I say something incorrect. It seems that the Trax 42’s faster QuadCore processor is what allows it to handle the demands of 42 channels. My understanding is that the KS6 has a dual-core processor, which is 2007 technology, and 17 channels.

You can easily find “single core” HA’s with 64 or even 96 channels (America Hears). You can also find current release Bernafon products at Costco that are channel-less.

“QuadCore” (or “4C”) is the name of Rexton’s latest technology platform. It’s not meant to imply that the hearing aid has a quad-core processor inside.

Now that seems just a bit too disingenuous.

why? im guessing the ‘quardcore’ has to do with the four mic array.

They’d catch hell for calling it QuadCore if it wasn’t quad-core

"Rexton Emerald includes the following technology features:

• HD Directionality - Quad-Core processor and high-definition microphones combine for better perception of where speech is coming from. "

It’s not quad-core, and that description isn’t from Rexton’s website.

It seems you guys are right. My apologies. Siemens and Rexton talk about “QuadCore technology” and “Dual-core technology,” but no where in their literature can I find that such labels refer to processors. To me, it seems misleading for them to use the quad-core and dual-core labels because most people would interpret that as referring to processors.

Is there a trick to getting the domes off the Trax 42? I can’t seem to do it.

Just ordered the Trax 42. Gonna get 'em next week. I was given the choice of the charger or the Smart Remote. Don’t care for rechargeable batteries, so got the Smart Remote. Tech told me the IPhone software wouldn’t control the HA without the Smart Remote. Can this be correct? Why use IPhone app if you have the Smart Remote?

Smart Remote app will control aids without neck loop, Smart Connect app requires the neck loop. I also got the Smart Remote rather than rechargeable. The Smart Remote app won’t work in my car but the Smart Remote will. My iPhone 6+ connects to the car bluetooth and I can’t use the phone when the car is operating. That gives me a minor use for the Smart Remote.

Thanks for that info.

I have an Android, so my experience may differ slightly. But probably not much. Usually iPhone get the extra bell and whistle.

It is more correct to say the iPhone won’t control the HA without the Smart Connect device. (The neck loop. Has nothing to do with the remote.)

There are TWO apps. The Smart Remote app does not require the neck loop.

The Smart Connect app does require the neck loop for full functionality. But if you neck loop is not useable, Smart Connect app reverts to something similar to Smart Remote. It still give you volume control and program switching.

I usually use the buttons on the aids themselves for program and volume changes.

I have an android also, and must use the neck loop (smart connect) in order to use the advanced functions like microphone direction, battery status, etc. I like using the Remote for those times that I want to leave my phone in my pocket and not look at a screen ( such as driving or when I don’t want others to see me fiddling with my ear buttons. I have my side buttons on the remote set up to adjust the Sound Balance (bass/treble range), but they can be set by Costco for different functions if you prefer.

With my remote I can adjust the program with one button, volume up and down with two buttons, and use the two side buttons for bass/treble; it all can be done quickly and easily by feel alone, so you don’t have to page thru menus on your phone’s screen to find the Sound Balance function.
corey