Why I like Siemens/Rexton Emerald
Price $2,390 a pair
Rechargeable Batteries or non recharge
Free Batteries

What I don’t like
The app is only available via internet not Bluetooth
45 day return
They had no brochure & still haven’t emailed me one

Do either or both of these change programs automatically if you go in and out of loud background environments?

Any help appreciated

All current aids adjust to their environment. An environment may be complex and the choice made won’t necessarily be what you might consider optimal.

Costco’s KS7 is a Siemens/Signia/Rexton aid you might consider. You can buy a lot of batteries for the $800 difference. :slight_smile:

Ken, the Costco rep told me the KS7 hearing aids wouldn’t be best suited for my hearing loss. That’s why I posted my test. He said Forte would be best.

I think you would be best trying BTE instead of RIC. You may still want the RIC for cosmetic reasons. The BTE has the speakers in the aid instead of inside the ear. They use a tube which is a bit more noticeable but isn’t that bad.

BTE address profound well. They have less distortion than a comparable RIC. You should see less sound distortion with a BTE. With your WRS scores, that is something you likely need.

The BTE use the same hardware. They just can accommodate a bigger speaker capable of working with a profound loss better. If you don’t see a difference, you can return to the RIC. I think it likely you will see the difference though.

What Model would the BTE be at Costco? Thanks

Well, providers tend to rename the BTE but they are basically the same hardware with a speaker added. If you look at the case where Costco displays their wares, you will see a cluster of aids by brand. The BTE aids have a hollow tube running from them instead of a wire. Such aids typically use a mold instead of a dome but domes are possible for many.

Periodically – maybe six months – they change out the tube which can start to get brittle. They don’t require a wax guard. If wax should get in, it can be displaced with a piece of mono-filament or little wire.

Just ask them to show you the BTE options.

I’ve got a friend who has a very similar hearing loss as yours and she wears Phonak Naida S V SPs which are BTE hearing aids.

The Rexton app communicates with the aids via semi inaudible tones that the app had your phone produce. Those tones are then received over the air by the hearing aids.

Emerald XS 6c RIC at $2,390 or Costco Resound Forte at $2,600

I’ve heard comments about the Forte Costco Hearing AIDS, but have heard nothing about the Emeralds

Not sure which to try. The K7s won’t be as effective for background noise according to Costco Rep so I’m eliminating.

Thanks for any & all assistance

The following may be useful for future threads/topics/questions;

Many Hearing Tracker members now have their audiogram numbers graphically depicted in a colored chart that can easily be made available for viewing with just one click on their avatar.

When you are reading a topic/thread (like this one) you may notice that some avatars have a little “avatar flair”/headphone icon at the lower right of the avatar. That indicates that they have entered their audiogram for other members to view. Click one of those avatars now to see what your audiogram will look like after you enter it.

For help with entering your own audiogram find a link to the instructions at Tip#2 in Hearing Tracker Tips.

Only a signed-in member can make their own audiogram for display and post comments. Obviously. But then anyone can view comments (I’m fine with that) but also anyone can view an audiogram (I’m not entirely fine with that). I had provided that feedback to the site admin but maybe no one cares anyway. My audiogram is there for all to see but it just niggles in the back of my mind.
My suggestion was that upon clicking the avatar it pops up with an invite to sign-up and/or log in. Many forums have different layers of access. Even the old forum required a certain number of posts to then be able to start a new thread.
Just my thoughts. Not critical.

I read the tips and can’t figure out how to add mine. I guess I’m not smart enough.

Any thoughts about the Emeralds compared to the Costco Fortes would be appreciated

Thanks

pvc gets you right there. Click on “Enter your audiogram (optional)” in the list to the upper-ish left side. Then maybe click on the Manual Entry link in the lower left of the pop-up and manually type in your numbers for each frequency. If your audiogram didn’t come with some frequencies then skip that frequency. I’ll admit that the graphical editing is a little tricky.

Sorry to cause the accidental thread bump. I didn’t know making a slight edit of a post would bump the thread.

I think he just wants to get back to his original questions. But before I do that you can switch away from graphical entry, to typing in the numbers.

Bluetooth from where? We’re talking about a cellphone App. All cellphone Apps are downloaded from the Internet.

I think the Emeralds (which are very similar to the KS7s) or the Fortes could work for you. I think either a RIC or BTE could work for you. I don’t think there’s anything that’s really go to make the high frequencies audible. Just depends on what’s important to you. If money is very tight, then the KS7s would definitely be an improvement over what you’ve got now.

The directions were too complicated. Sorry, I changed it to be much simpler.

For help with entering your own audiogram find a link to the instructions at Tip#2 in Hearing Tracker Tips

pvc: I don’t think your instructions were complicated per se…it’s that they didn’t go all the way. I had written some further instructions in my post just before but it certainly makes more sense for you to have the more in-depth instructions in your collection. Thanks for adding instructions to the end.

Instructions are a fine line…is it patronizing or is it complete. I just take it all the way and what might seem obvious to one person may be needed by another. The reader can decide how far they want to go…but at least it’s all there.
It’s when there’re different paths and decisions to make and then writing for each direction that can get complicated in a hurry.
But…I’m no expert. :slight_smile: