Costco News: KS10 discontinued

Costco has been selling these aids for about 18 months. Did they change the manufacturing process or is this a problem KS 10s have had from the start?

Definitely something is up, a lot of people noticing the KS10 being pulled from the shelves at Costco, but I’m wondering if it’s more a new model coming out, KS11 (Phonak Lumley?)

@tenkan KS11 (Phonak Lumley?)
Not sure what you meant:
1- Johanna Lumley
2- Phonak Lumity
3- Not sure

:sweat_smile:

What kind of association does Lumity evoke? A weaver working his shuttle through the weft and warp?

Who hired the guy that came up with this? Was there a focus group?

Ha ha, yeah you’d think they’d at least get a bunch of people together over brunch! cheap wine can do wonders! but yeah lumity it is, dam text to speech and no proof reading on a sunday!

1 Like

The discount or price accommodation on hearing aids purchase less than 30 days earlier is for recharageable models only.

I just called Costco today about the KS10 problem. According to the rep they are not discontinued, but suspended until a charging bug is fixed. They will be sold again when that problem is resolved. He did not have any specific information on the KS11’s, but say new models usually come out in the spring.

4 Likes

@ctreenmn: thanks useful information. Hoping it is accurate and soon charging bug problem is soon resolved and they are available again for those of us for whom this model seems to be a good fix.

I find it odd that Costco recommends the KS10 for your loss. I think I mentioned that Costco would not even sell the KS10 to me, and your high freq loss is greater than mine. I think they justified it by claiming that Resound goes to 9.5k Htz and at higher gain s in the upper freqs, were the others top out at 8k and lower high freq gains. Go figure…

1 Like

So the KS10 recall has nothing to do with the KS11 coming up?

The KS10 (Phonak) is actually better for high frequency loss than Resound in most cases.
The KS10 has a better frequency lowering technology. It can shift high frequencies to lower frequencies than other brands of aids. This benefits those with severe/profound upper frequency hearing loss.

On the other hand, if a person has high frequency hearing loss and hears well in the upper frequencies and all they need is gain, maybe the Resound aids are better. Honestly in this scenario most any good hearing aids can be of great benefit to that person. It is just a matter of gain and acoustics.

3 Likes

I honestly have no idea which aid is better for high frequency loss. I was only passing my experience along and what Costco told me. Also why I self program and returned the Jabra’s

No.

:slight_smile:

:slight_smile:

Several months ago I had to bring my KS10s in for repair. The left one would not hold a charge properly. I got them back in about 10 days. Now the right one seems to drain more quickly than the left one, but still performs OK. I had similar issues with my rechargeable Phonak Marvels. I just sent them in for reconditioning as my 3-year warranty was about to expire.

2 Likes

I"ve had to do a hard reset a couple of times with my Phonak Audeo Paradise P90R’s. Each time they were fully charged when I left home. Some time after driving/arriving at work I found one hearing aid dead.
Remedy was to put my hearing aid into my charger case, recharge. Meanwhile reading the owner’s manual on line and doing a hard reset…at home.

DaveL

Saw that Dr Cliff posted on this. He said with all of the complaints he was aware of, that it was surprising that Costco waited so long to pull them.
A year ago more than one Costco audi told me the KS10’s were the most unreliable aid with the highest return rate that Costco ever sold. Guess they were right

2 Likes

So my take is that they are private label versions of my hearing aids…Phonak Audeo Paradise P90R’s…

I’m getting nervous because I think they should perform the same. Why isn’t anyone saying the same about the P90’s?

DaveL
Toronto

Where is the problem ???
The KS-10 has the same parts as the Phonak Paradise. there are only some minor differences. Why did the problem appear with COSTCO hearing aids and not with Phonak, Unitron, etc.

4 Likes

I’m in purgatory. A couple of weeks ago I got tested at Costco and paid up front for a pair of KS10s. then I saw this thread. I called Costco to find out where I stood and haven’t heard back yet. My appointment for pickup and fitting is just over a week away.

When I called I asked what the specific problem was, and was told it was the charger. Does anyone know if a Phonak charger that I might find on eBay would work with the KS10s?

3 Likes

I don’t know.

I have 2 Phonak P90R’s and posted above…my P90’s are a careful fit into the charger I have. If your shells are the same, they’ll fit. If they’re not, they won’t.

You have a guarantee and can return your HA’s! You can get your money back.

DaveL
Toronto