Costco KS8 first impressions

kirkland-signature
costco

I’d try to tone down expectations some. I find myself most disappointed and unhappy when I had very high expectations. Never happens if I don’t expect too much.

I’m 2 months in and getting very familiar with the KS8’s. My expectations have been met & in some cases exceeded. I think it’s important to always keep in mind these are “ hearing aids”, not new ears. But having said that, these devices are light years ahead of the ones I’ve been using for the last 6-7 years.

Rather than starting a new topic I thought that I would post. Y experience with the KS8 hearing aids here. If I should start a new thread please let me know. Thanks.

1. New member and new hearing aid user. Previously tried Phonak Lyric for about a month, not an overall good experience.
  2. First appointment with Costco Tech 10/31/18. Very through exam and lots of detail provided by tech. Let me demo KS8 and walk around store for a while to try out. Good test for background noise. Seemed good. Ordered HAs and set up appointment for final fitting on 11/5/28. Quick turn around. Opted for KS8(312 battery) due to smaller size.
  3. 11/5 appointment. Fitted with new HAs and she programmed the aids. I discussed further with her my previous experience with hearing aids. I have moderate hearing loss (audiogram is in my profile) at high tones and found the lyrics really amplified some noises to the point that I was jumpy. Running water, dishes on counter, silverware in the drawer or on the counter. As a result she lowered the initial programming to give me a better initial experience. Personally I think that it is too low. Overall a good experience with my 2nd visit to Costco.
  4. She only loaded one other program called Noise/Party. There were also 3 other Listening Situations, Cafe, Cinema & Theater, and Group Conversations. She did also help me pair my iPhone X with the hearing aids.
  5. Battery life is 5 days max. I have had to change my batteries every 5 days and am on day 13. Battery meter as others have stated is pretty much worthless for forecasting. It will tell you when they are just about dead or dead, but the batteries look good up until they die. I am on day three and the battery indicator says that both are only minimally discharged. If I triple click on the home button the report that I get outside of the app says Left 90% and Right 80%. I know right now that I will have to change them in less than 48 hours. I am not a heavy user of the Bluetooth. Just the phone when it works…
  6. Since I mentioned it I will address the Bluetooth now. I find that the Bluetooth connection is frequently lost to my phone. I will get a call and it does not come in through the HAs even though I made sure that they were connected when I put them on in the morning. It takes some girations to get them connected back up. This has happened first thing in the morning and then again in the middle of the day. Not sure what is going on with the connections. If anyone else has experienced this please let me know. Looking for a solution to this.
  7. Answering calls. I read another post where users said that they could answer calls using their iWatch and I use a Garmin Vivosport which is connected to my iPhone. I found that I can answer calls using my Vivosport and have the call in my HAs. There is no mic in the Vivosport so I still have to use the iPhone speaker, but hear the call through the HAs. More to learn.
  8. Programs. We went out to dinner the day that I got the HAs and tried the programs loaded and the Learning Situations and noted really no difference. Best hearing has been with Automatic.
  9. Volume. With the current programming I am finding that I detect no change in volume, up or down. While my wife says that I do not have the TV turned up as loud I find that there is no change when I change the volume either through the app or using the buttons on the hearing aids. I am hoping that this is all due to the conservative programming.
  10. The app only lets you jointly control the volume, but you can split the volume controls by changing the setting in General-Accessibility-Mifi…-Devices and adjust from there or more simply by triple clicking the home button which takes you to battery and R&L volume settings.

That is all for tonight. Overall a good experience and hopeful that things will get better with my next visit to Costco tomorrow. I will try to remember to update my experience after my next visit. Comments are appreciated.

Oh, one question for the experts on the site. My hearing aids are fitted with M receivers whereas the S receivers would seem to be a better fit to my uneducated eye based upon my audiogram. Is there a benefit or detriment to the M receiver over the S for my situation?

Thanks. Feedback appreciated.