Costco KS8 first impressions

kirkland-signature
costco

I’ve never been able to get that little magnet to work right, tbh. There’s probably a thread on that.

As for your audiophilia, are they using the programs – there are three – specifically for listening to music? I like the two that I use – not the one for performers – quite a lot. As you say, they disable a lot of the noise reduction and so on. This is one feature that I’ve appreciated with the KS7s.

Yes, I’m an iPhone user. The fact that hearing aid technologies were aligning to iPhone prompted me to shift to an iPhone several years ago.

Yeah, I agree. Seems like kind of a “standby” mode.

My old HAs really amplified plane noise, so I never wore them on planes. The KS8s are so much better on the plane!

You are my hero! This worked like a charm. I (and my ears) can’t thank you enough!

I didn’t know a “Mute” setting was an option! The next time I go in for an adjustment, I will ask about this to replace one of my lesser used programs. Thanks for the tip!

A few more observations after 2 full weeks with the KS8s:

1. The first pair of batteries last around 4 days, the second pair lasted longer at nearly 6 days, and I’m currently on day 5 of the third pair. This is much better than the 2-3 days I had read about elsewhere. I’m wearing them on average about 13-14 hours/day, with sporadic streaming mostly for phone calls, with minimal audiobook and music listening.
  2. I have been getting a lot of headaches lately that started roughly when I got the HAs. When I initially got them, I had the HIS adjust the volume up slightly, and I have concluded that was a mistake and the additional volume is what was causing the headaches. Things were just a little too loud, and I noticed that I was turning the volume on the HAs down fairly often. Yesterday I went for an adjustment and had her put the volume back down to where she wanted it to be in the first place, and so far today no headaches. In hindsight I think my desire for more volume was overcompensating for the fact that my previous HAs were not calibrated correctly and I was afraid of missing a single word.
  3. I continue to marvel at how these HAs are so, so comfortable. I can’t feel them in my ears at all.
  4. Like @kwwilliams, I find the app to be not particularly intuitive. Fortunately changing programs and volume are easily accessed by triple-clicking my home button, but for anything else I have to search for it in the app.
  5. In addition to the 6 programs that are stored in my HAs, the app gives access to an additional 3 Learning Situations (Cafe, Cinema & Theater, Group Conversation). I haven’t played much with these yet, but I did find “Cafe” to be helpful in a noisy situation.
  6. The clicking when streaming to the HAs is unpredictable. Sometimes there is no clicking at all, and other times it is just enough that I find it annoying.

How do you switch from one Apple device to another? I got a pair of KS8s last night and would like to also use them with my iPad.

The aids stay paired to the original/phone until Bluetooth is disable. Use the drag to disable BT on the phone - enable on iPad - reenable on phone. It is now on the iPad until release at which time it repairs to the phone.

Ken,

Thank you…I will try this. I have noticed that the HAs never appear in the Bluetooth device list on my iPhone. However, if I disable Bluetooth it kills the audio stream. I wonder why this is happening?

Bob

The BT section shows pairing to standard BT. The aids aren’t standard. They are a version of BTLe. The only thing using that currently is aids.

Hello, @Pleaides,

I also have just received KS8’s. My first set of batteries lasted 5 1/2 days. No music streaming however I did have several cell phone calls using my iPhone. I just wanted to report another user with far more than 2-3 days of battery usage on the KS8.

Thank you, the transfer between IOS devices works exactly as you describe.

I thought the Connect Direct app on my Android phone only used Bluetooth to communicate with my KS8’s. I was using the phone & app to adjust some settings on my KS8’s with my 12 yo and 6 yo granddaughters near by. They both said what’s that noise? Of course I could not hear it … but their young ears could! On looking closer at the app it seems there is a setting relative to this sonic control of the KS8’s. So now I’m curious as to why there seems to be both Bluetooth and this sonic control!

I have KS7s so am just speculating. It may use the sonic controls to communicate with Android phones? Just a guess. If so, it seems like they could have it on just with Android phones, but it may have been simpler just to leave it active all the time.

When the Signia introduced the app, they said it was high frequency sounds that did the changes. I don’t think that has changed. It’s probably left our pets a bit confused. :slight_smile:

On my iPhone, the app defaults to sounds to change the settings if the Bluetooth connection is not available.

I seem to recall MDB saying in the past that it’s around 12khz. Able ears can hear up about 20 or so. (thus the cd digital cut-off of 22)
I asked my spouse if they could hear it as I had already known young co-workers could. They said it was like short bursts of a buzz like sound.
It’s also only one way. The app tells the aids. The aids don’t reply.

That may be it … when my KS8’s were new … maybe 6 weeks ago … I did go through a process of pairing them up with Bluetooth … it took about 3 trys. So perhaps you are right … the sonic signalling is a backup to BT.

I am not happy with my KS8 had them now for about 2 or 3 weeks and have been to Costco many many time for adjustments,domes now are hurting my ears,have changed those twice ,so back to Costco for another change of domes. Feedback also is a big problem,going on vacation soon and will take my backup one’s from Resound,the domes on those are so comfortable,I forget I am wearing them.