Costco KS8.0 for a few weeks now, impressions

Man, these things are pretty good. I think I am fully up to target now and I have had a few adjustments. We turned on the frequency compression (frequency lowering) and I really like that. I am hearing things I have not heard in a while.

Pros -

1. Everything sounds great, normal
  2. TV and Smart Mic sound quality is excellent, better than my previous Resounds.
  3. The microphone pattern adjustment where you narrow the cone of sound you want to hear really works and helps me understand people in difficult situations.

Cons -

Not much in the way of cons. One thing is that while the noise/party program handles consistent background noise, like machines or air handlers, active, inconsistent background noise causes it to freak out. In those situations I keep it on Automatic and narrow the cone to just the person in front of me.

So bottom line, very happy with these and I will be keeping them and maybe getting one more minor tweak.

Glad your experience was so postive with the ks8 I had to turned mine in for a refund,was not happy with them at all. I was going back to Costco every week for adjustments since I bought them. Now will try the Resounds Forta,wish me luck.

I had some older Resounds and I liked them. They just ran out of steam trying to keep up with my progressing hearing loss. I told myself I would try the KS8.0 and if they didn’t work out I would try the latest Resounds. You will probably do well with them.

Don, thanks for the sharing. I wear Signature 5 hearing aids, now about 4 years. I am thinking it may be good to plan to get new aids for improvements in technology and just to get ahead of the old aids failing. I have only the one experience with Signature 5, but am happy wit the cost, service and effectiveness. Of course I have not comparison, but can say the Costco branded aids gave me a vast improvement in hearing. Noisy conditions and theater sound (especially DVD on home TV) remains a problem, maybe the Signature 8 mic cone will help that.

1 Like

I am a lurker here, but have been reading these forums a long time. I have some Costco KS7’s that I have had since February. My “trial” is up May 2nd and am considering returning these for the newer KS8’s. Are the improvements worth it does anyone think?

I had the sig 5 also. Those were Resound and the KS8.0 is Rexton (Signia), so if you had Resound TV transmitter and Phone Clip+ you will have to have the Rexton versions. I highly recommend the TV transmitter. People ask me now, “what did he say?”. I like the Smart Mic Bluetooth phone device also. Streaming music is very good, better than the Resound. I’m getting true stereo now. The Smart Mic can only connect with one device at a time, which is a stupid design decision. Come on Signia.

I don’t know what the differences are but it is a later model and if you were going to keep the 7.0 then there is no downside to returning and getting the 8.0. Well, I don’t know about the devices (TV and bluetooth/phone). You may have to return those too, and buy the later model.

I think they are fairly close and on the same. I understand you can get a $100 back and either keep them or “upgrade” to the KS8.

If you have an iPhone or are considering one because you’d like calls streamed directly to the hearing aids, yes, there’s a huge change. If that doesn’t matter, I think changes are subtle and I’d base decision on who you are. Hate change? Keep the KS7s. Like new and different? Take the $100 and enjoy the KS8s.

Thanks for the info. I am using android now, but thinking about switching, So I will check with Costco and let you know what happens. Didn’t mean to hijack this thread. My apologies.

Not interested in an iphone. I like having the bluetooth device and having true hands free calls, plus streaming from my laptops and tablet. Plus having office phone calls hands free.

Sounds like you’ve got it all figured out. The KS8 and new bluetooth device MIGHT be a little nicer, but there’d definitely be a learning curve to get to the level of comfort you’ve established. Goes back to the 2nd part of my answer regarding liking change.

Thanks, I did like my old resounds,lasted 6 years and still use them as my back ups. They fit so well in my ears and didn’t have much problems at all with them,can’t find anything close to them.

I have had my KS8’s for several weeks now myself. My first pair so can’t compare to anything previous. Also since I’m new to HA’s overall, can’t speak to returning to Costco for any needed tweeking, why I would need tweaking as I don’t have anything to compare it too.

Prior to the purchase of the KS8’s, I did demo a pair of Opticon’s 3. I did think that the Iphone app did allow more user adjusted settings and to be honest I don’t see where the KS8’s software setting does much of anything when I go from Automatic to something else. I also haven’t noticed any difference in setting the microphone directional settings either. Forward/backward/left/right all sounds the same to me.

What I do notice is the extra $4,000 still in my bank account from going with the KS8’s.

I will say at this point, I am very well satisfied with the KS8’s and can hear conversations in noisy situations that heretofore I had much difficulty with.

1 Like

Sometimes on a “first fit” the hearing aids are not turned up completely for your prescription. They do that for two related reasons. First, the new sounds can be shocking and they want to gradually bring you along, and secondly, the more they turn it up the more potential problems, and more potential reasons for a return. If you are not seeing some pretty substantial differences in automatic and noise/party, and music, then it might be they are not turned up all the way yet.

I can tell you this, I can tell what program it is on by the way it sounds, and microphone pattern adjustment (the cone of sound) provides significant help with intermittent background noise.

The noise/party program doesn’t handle intermittent background noise well, but, If there is steady background noise from machines or air handlers, it’s like they shut the machines off.

I’m curious about the frequency compression. I’m going back soon for my 2 week checkup for my KS8Ts and I need to ask about that. Does it really help your speech understanding? I am very happy so far. I have an android phone, but I have an IPad. The MFI feature allows me to communicate using FaceTime with my IPad. Very clear audio!

I can’t compare them to the KS7s (my previous were KS4s) but the feature that I like best on the KS8s (which was not available in the KS7s) is the MFI feature. Even though my cellphone is Android, I use my iPad to talk on FaceTime. The audio is excellent!

Yes, frequency compression is very good, for sloping hearing loss.

Do you know if Costco calls the frequency compression by another name. I’m going in for an adjustment next week, and I’d like to try that. Is that feature only in the Automatic program or does if go to all programs?

That’s what they call it. I think it can be applied to any program, but some programs would not make sense, like the music program.