Costco KS7 user experience

One can also use manual setup to go in and label programs. Learned this today while at Costco. Not sure if it initially has to be done via barcode or not. Did require me pick a performance level on the directional microphone setting.

I like my new KS7’s, and the app works well. I only have 2 complaints about the local Costco where I purchased them from;
First audiologist had no technical knowledge, insisted that the microphones were physically turned by the various app programs and that the connection between my iphone and the HA was via bluetooth connection…
Second audiologist was also insistent that the connection between my iPhone and the HA was over bluetooth protocol…

I assume you have the necklace unit and it is Bluetooth and does communicates with the iPhone using that protocol. That is the only way to communicate with any smart phone.

Depends on what is meant by “communicate.” Android smart phones and I assume Apple phones send sonic signals (high pitched beeps) from the phone to the KS7s. This is mediated by the Connexx Smart Remote App. There is also a Connex Smart Connect for the necklace unit. That does use bluetooth.

And they are different apps.

“Smart Remote” is the phone to hearing aid app.
“Smart Connect” is for the gizmo of the same name.

I have been using Ks7 s since Sept. 2016. Have mild to moderate high frequency hearing loss both ears. Went to Costco and was impressed with staff. I use Smart phone app and adjusted volume and treble/bass settings for first 3 months using automatic, tv, music speaker programs. I adjusted each program to my liking and then went back and showed my settings to tech at Costco. They then made overall adjustments over a 3 month period. Quite happy now. Two days ago I forgot to put aids in and rushed to a meeting. The difference was very noticeable-I was clueless-missed at least 30% of on going conversations.

Have my KS7’s for about 2 weeks now. Moved from a set of Bernafon Chronos after ~ 5 years and sound quality seems much better. I am wondering what each of the available programs does exactly since I’m not noticing much difference from the Auto program.

I have 6 programs setup now: Auto; Outdoors; Noise/Party; TV; Music - from speakers; & Music -Live. My Costco audi didn’t seem to have an i360 program and I wonder why since some of you mention it for use in a car. Is there a different version of the fitting software that has that that my audi isn’t using? And, of those of you that have the i360 program, have you found it useful, and if so in what scenarios?

The Auto program seems to work very well including the directionality choices available from my smartphone. The Outdoors program does seem to help with wind noise vs Auto, but just slightly. I haven’t been able to discern any improvement in the Noise/Party program over the Auto program while in a restaurant and wonder if there is some tweak of the noise suppression or something else I should be asking for. And my old bernafons seemed to change the sound for the better when in TV mode & these don’t seem to change my perception or clarity at all over Auto. Is there a change I need to ask for in that program, or is Auto just so good there is no room for improvement?

It would be great to know exactly what changes each of the available programs makes in freq processing, directionality, etc, and what options or tweaks are available for each program. Has anyone found anything on this yet?

While it sounds like I’m complaining, I’m not. I’m liking these much more than the old Bernafons, I’m just trying to figure out what I can ask for to make subtle improvements in any subsequent visits to the Costco audi. Thanks.

Reading this entire thread will likely answer some of your questions. To really understand the options, go to the DIY section of the forum and download a copy of the Connexx 8 fitting software with the Rexfit database. If you set up a simulation with Rexton 80 S 6C aids , you’ll be able to see all of the options available to the fitter (with the exception of tinnitus settings)

Sorry for the duplicate post. Computer didn’t refresh & I didn’t think my post took.

You should be able to go into Edit mode and delete 1 of the posts if you want.

I ended up using Noise/Party program in noisy environments because I found that the hum (droning) is lower, like a car traffic for example.
It is not as good for understanding as Auto program, but the noise is lower

My perception of TV program is that helps a bit for a speech understanding. I used it a couple of times at my job when it was really important to get what everyone is saying. I know that at the beginning I complained about hearing echo in tv program and my audi changed something, but I don’t know what. Overall I think it seems louder and that the higher frequencies are more pronounced than the Auto program

If a person purchases and then returns the HA’s to Costco and subsequently purchases another pair does the 6 month trial start over?

I’ve never done it, but that’s what I’ve heard.

6 months per model. Trial for 3 months then go back to that model and have 3 months left.

If that is the case and I have no reason to think it is not a person could keep swapping HA’s and get the latest tech. The HIS told me that they usually get a new version every year so every 6 mos is likely to be a new model for at least one of their vendors. I’m not saying I would have an interest in doing that but I bet some people might. People were pulling that with electronics, especially cameras, under their unlimited return policy years ago and they put a stop to it by limiting the return period. I did recently return a desk that was over 2 years old but not holding up very well with no problem.

I think one could do it, but I’m not convinced it would be very pleasant. “Getting used to” a hearing aid is often challenging. Repeating this process every 6 months doesn’t sound like my idea of fun.

MDB, I am going to for sure trial the KS7 toward the end of my Brios 2 trial. I am still not sure if the KS7 is a Rexton or a Primax 7px. I like my current HA’s as far as HA’s go but if I can save some $$ I will. Way too much marketing hype with these products. In one form or another they are all amplifiers. Expensive amplifiers. Some even suggest they are “rewiring” the brain to hear better.

If I were you I wouldn’t wait until the Brios 2 trial to run out before I try the KS7. Reason being that you have 180 day trial period at Costco, right? Which is a very generous 6 months and plenty of time to try out both in parallel. After a month or 2 with the Brios 2, you’ll have adapted to it and to HAs overall. So if you try out the KS7 next and don’t like it as much as the Brios 2, at least you still have the Brios 2 to keep and you don’t need to return the KS7 and buy the Brios 2 all over again. But of course you’ll be tying up some fund if you try out both, unless you put it on a credit card which will give you some grace period before you have to pay.

Another advantage of having both at the same time is that you can do A to B comparison much more easily and don’t have to rely on memory.

Thanks for the input.

Costco carries Rexton.