Costco KS7 user experience

I ended up using Noise/Party program in noisy environments because I found that the hum (droning) is lower, like a car traffic for example.
It is not as good for understanding as Auto program, but the noise is lower

My perception of TV program is that helps a bit for a speech understanding. I used it a couple of times at my job when it was really important to get what everyone is saying. I know that at the beginning I complained about hearing echo in tv program and my audi changed something, but I don’t know what. Overall I think it seems louder and that the higher frequencies are more pronounced than the Auto program

If a person purchases and then returns the HA’s to Costco and subsequently purchases another pair does the 6 month trial start over?

I’ve never done it, but that’s what I’ve heard.

6 months per model. Trial for 3 months then go back to that model and have 3 months left.

If that is the case and I have no reason to think it is not a person could keep swapping HA’s and get the latest tech. The HIS told me that they usually get a new version every year so every 6 mos is likely to be a new model for at least one of their vendors. I’m not saying I would have an interest in doing that but I bet some people might. People were pulling that with electronics, especially cameras, under their unlimited return policy years ago and they put a stop to it by limiting the return period. I did recently return a desk that was over 2 years old but not holding up very well with no problem.

I think one could do it, but I’m not convinced it would be very pleasant. “Getting used to” a hearing aid is often challenging. Repeating this process every 6 months doesn’t sound like my idea of fun.

MDB, I am going to for sure trial the KS7 toward the end of my Brios 2 trial. I am still not sure if the KS7 is a Rexton or a Primax 7px. I like my current HA’s as far as HA’s go but if I can save some $$ I will. Way too much marketing hype with these products. In one form or another they are all amplifiers. Expensive amplifiers. Some even suggest they are “rewiring” the brain to hear better.

If I were you I wouldn’t wait until the Brios 2 trial to run out before I try the KS7. Reason being that you have 180 day trial period at Costco, right? Which is a very generous 6 months and plenty of time to try out both in parallel. After a month or 2 with the Brios 2, you’ll have adapted to it and to HAs overall. So if you try out the KS7 next and don’t like it as much as the Brios 2, at least you still have the Brios 2 to keep and you don’t need to return the KS7 and buy the Brios 2 all over again. But of course you’ll be tying up some fund if you try out both, unless you put it on a credit card which will give you some grace period before you have to pay.

Another advantage of having both at the same time is that you can do A to B comparison much more easily and don’t have to rely on memory.

Thanks for the input.

Costco carries Rexton.

Agree that there’s a lot of marketing hype. I think it was Corona who referred to all of the “magical features” that were claimed. I also agree that they are expensive, but they are pretty sophisticated. Besides amplification, you have two computers that communicate wirelessly with each other, determine your listening environment and make frequent changes to allow you to hear better. There’s stuff on one of these threads that has some screen shots from Corona that show different programming options for KS7. I’d encourage you take a look if you’re interested in KS7. Any problem finding it, go ahead and PM me. For that matter, I’d encourage taking a look at programming software for any hearing aid your considering. As far as I know, looking at the software is the only way to truly know what options are available. Corona’s hearing loss was similar to yours except that you have more high frequency loss. Was quite happy with KS7s.

— Updated —

Agree that there’s a lot of marketing hype. I think it was Corona who referred to all of the “magical features” that were claimed. I also agree that they are expensive, but they are pretty sophisticated. Besides amplification, you have two computers that communicate wirelessly with each other, determine your listening environment and make frequent changes to allow you to hear better. There’s stuff on one of these threads that has some screen shots from Corona that show different programming options for KS7. I’d encourage you take a look if you’re interested in KS7. Any problem finding it, go ahead and PM me. For that matter, I’d encourage taking a look at programming software for any hearing aid your considering. As far as I know, looking at the software is the only way to truly know what options are available. Corona’s hearing loss was similar to yours except that you have more high frequency loss. Was quite happy with KS7s.

Recently was fitted with a set of KS7 and have used them during business travel (airlines) and other environments with a large number of individuals and noise. I’m very satisfied with how the hearing aids are working when picking out who is talking to me versus a bunch of background talkers. Sometimes have to move to noise/party program, but very happy.

Eventually may add the Smart Connect device, but I’m trying to locate more reviews on it’s use and how it sounds for streamed calls and music.

Impressed with Costco. Had my 2 week follow up and as it’s mostly higher frequency hearing loss the smart connect was not recommended. I explained that I have some environments where it’s hard to hear the phone conversations without blocking the other ear. He provided me an Xphone program and showed me how to use the magnet on my smartphone so that the call is heard in both ears. Very clear and works great! I already had hands free in the car and a bone conductive headset, so the smart connect would have been redundant. You know that you are treated well when you get excellent free follow up service and a recommendation to save money.

Found this thread thanks to z10user2. I have been using KS7 for close to a month now and want to learn more. This thread discusses many KS7 programs. Costco never discussed any with me except for automatic I guess. I am making notes and will ask next time I’m back at Costco.

Hi All,

I’m considering upgrading from 3 year old KS-5’s to possibly an aid that includes frequency shifting, such as (apparently) KS-7 or Bernafon Supremia Super Power BTE. I have an appointment at my local Costco next Friday, including a new hearing test.

I have trouble understanding speech for certain voices including low-pitch voices and, of course, in noisy environments or when more than one person is speaking. I enjoy listening to classical music but wish I could hear better.

I have an iphone 5s. Will that work for programming the new aids?

Thanks,

I can vouch for the KS7s having what Rexton calls Bandwidth Compression (Frequency Compression) Bernafon has what they call Frequency Composition. It is similar to Oticon’s Speech Rescue. The thing frequency lowering is most effective at is making certain consonant sounds audible (s and sh in particular) If you have a good ear for music, you probably won’t like it (Rexton’s version) as the high notes when compressed will be way out of tune. Widex has what they call Audibility Extender which preserves harmonics. I don’t know how well it works for speech understanding.

Look at fredo’s audiogram his classical music days are behind him.

Don’t be such a damn stick in the mud. We had this discussion about a year ago with another classical music fan. It’s not gone, it’s just different. I’m sure that when we go to a concert, my wife is hearing something different than I am, but I am still enjoying myself.

OK, his classical music days will no longer be the classical music days he remembers!

Sometimes you need to face reality…

I agree BlueCrab.
When I was first getting hearing aids I was all about the music. Like yeah sure speech of course but how will the music sound. Then I learned about music programs and found that it sounded pretty good. Then I figured out setting up my computer to play music with an equalizer tuned for the different ear capability. Especially using headphones but not using aids. This sounded very good.
So it’s not the end of the world for music just because one has poor un-aided hearing. One can enjoy music un-aided with headphones and equalizer adjusted to ones hearing loss. And one can enjoy music elsewhere.