Costco Kirkland Signature 9.0 (Product Information)

We’re in a state of transition. Currently there are no external microphones that work with the new KS9s. There are rumors that Phonak is developing a remote microphone (not based on Roger) that would work with the Marvel (and presumably KS9) I have two leanings. 1) If you really like Phonak for some reason, and can wait a few months, see what happens. Hopefully Phonak will come out with a remote microphone. 2) If you just want a good new hearing aid from Costco, get a Resound Preza and a MultiMic. It will work great with your iPhone and the MultiMic is a step above most other remote microphones (except Roger).

3 Likes

Good info, thank you. Why is the KS series so popular? Just the price? Not necessarily “the best” or most up to date tech? I am not after any particular brand at all, just certain features, and don’t want to have to drop so much more $$$ at another store.

If one could rank the most up to date tech in the selection at Costco how would you rank them?

The popularity of the KS series is very good hearing aids at GREAT value. Price of KS9 is $1499 a pair. Any other aid from Costco will be $2600 or more (give or take a few dollars). They’re all pretty “up to date.” What are your priorities?

1 Like

Priority is human speech. The external neck and desktop mics are part of that. Just wary of buying into a platform on the cusp of an update/better alternative. I.E. maybe a just-released KS has more distinct human speech on its own than an older Preza with its external accessories?

Just thoughts from a noob.

For speech in any kind of background noise, I think the Preza with MultiMic would be tough to beat with anything from Costco. For speech in quiet, I expect the KS9 would be better. I don’t think the Preza will be replaced in the near future, but then again if it is, you’ve Costco’s 6 month return period (assuming you’re from US)

1 Like

I’ve been waiting for late summer to get a rechargeable Marvel with a Telecoil. I wonder if v2.0 adds more to the Marvel line than a Telecoil.

Um…$1499, I believe.

Yes, you’re correct! Kirkland’s prices keep dropping so quickly I can’t keep up. :>)

Welcome, friend, to this community of helpful HA users.

What if it is a whole new HA? That would be a shocker! It has such a small casing now with little room it seems.

[quote=“iRobert, post:19, topic:45380, full:true”]
Is this just in the US? Any Canadian dates?[/quote]

My experience, limited though it is, Costco Canada lags about 3 months behind the US release.

I talked to a very good Canadian Costco audiologist Friday. She didn’t have a date and knew less about these than I did.

1 Like

Ruth ; “a very good Canadian Costco audiologist** Friday. She didn’t have a date and knew less about these than I did.”

Are you in Nanaimo?:wink:

Typically, they get a visit from the rep, for a show and tell, in the month preceding release and wthe day the new model arrives is when they know they are in.

Prior to the KS8 release, some stores were taking orders in that timeframe, some weren’t.

I too found, until release, this was the better source of information, because of the earlier release and user experiences.

I am a musician. Will 2.0 provide relief from the problem with feeback rejection (Whistle Reduction, in particular) that causes the trilling on pure tones from musical instruments (which Marvels seem to not recognize as music)? I am trialing them and it’d be good to know as my trial will expire the first of August.

My friend is a musician as well and is profoundly deaf. She found the Sound Recover to give her a thrill sound. She turned it off and she’s had no issues since.

I believe that the Whistle Reduction is a parameter in the Sound Recover section of the setup software, but I may be wrong about that.

I am not aware of any upcoming changes to the feedback system …

1 Like

Thank you for your reply!

Very, very impressed by the overall favorable review provided by Dr. Cliff this morning!

I don’t see the drawbacks he caveated in at the end of his video to be very significant for me:
  1. Rechargeability is not a positive for me because some nights I like to leave my hearing aids in; I change batteries often during daytime because of streaming from my sign/other’s microphone; and Costco batteries are cheap as peanuts and I still retain enough dexterity to change them;
  2. I gave up on telecoil a long time ago when our favorite Repetoire Theatre turned down a fully-funded grant to install looping, despite the ADA;
  3. I priced current state-of-the-art Roger equipment as running $500-1000 complete, and yet if I understood Dr. Cliff correctly, the KS9s built-in receiver will accept ANY type of BT from ANY source, which seems to suggest they will receive from a simple Amazon BT microphone. (Please correct me if I’m wrong about that.)
3 Likes

Yes as I mentioned earlier, they’re based on the Phonak Marvels which can connect to just about any bluetooth device.

2 Likes