Costco Hearing Aid Center Review | Secret Shopping Kirkland Signature 10.0

We are heading to Costco tomorrow for HA, dryer sheets and some of those chicken wings!:joy:

1 Like

Dryer sheets aren’t good for your clothes or your dryer, but that’s a topic for another forum. :open_mouth:

I think the reason they are priced the same at the various levels of technology is that they don’t want you to choose solely based on price.

1 Like

The video is disingenuous at best and a weak shot at the biggest player in the HA biz. Costco had transformed HA. They are driving prices from ridiculously expensive to just expensive.

A guy from Boston we worked with would say in meetings “Money talks and b***t walks.”

In 30 years of wearing HA’s I loathed going to the country club style audiologist then discovered Costco. First I could afford my HA’s and second they were great helpful people. No expensive cars in the parking lot. No BS about $6,000 a pair. And they fitted HA’s that finally worked.

My last pair came from a local audiologist, a young guy who knows about Costco and my past experience. Somehow he provides my HA’s around $3k which is my coverage.

7 Likes

Yeah that was my takeaway. Cost isn’t the driver The discussion I had was very much about needs, what my lifestyle is like etc. I was already fairly clear that the KS10 was what I wanted but open to other suggestions that might work better.

I’ve dealt with 2 different hearing aid fitters at my local COSTCO. One was just OK and one was pretty good.

Hi.

I feel obliged to thank Costco for the service they provide at the audition.

Let’s not let a finger hide the moon from us.

1 Like

I had a very good experiemce at a San Juan Capistrano Costco center.

I think the fact that Costco does not pay on a commission basis is a big deal for lower income folks that have a budget. I agree that working with a knowledgeable professional is really important.

I think a person has to ascertain whether their Costco store is basically worth the savings compared to an independent audiologist. Shopping with both is imperative.

2 Likes

Dr Cliff - very good video and we all need to take it correct. It provides us that need hearing aids with good information on how to better support the hearing aid fitters and Audiologist fitters when we get hearing tests and then get fitted with hearing aids. Most likely 50% of Audiologist Fitters are worse than the top 25% of Costco and other non Audiologist. So this video should help get a better fitting from any provider - even from Dr Cliff. I recorded the audio of this video using “Otter” which is a transcription app for PCs, smart cell phone, etc. I was shocked to see that your speech is transcribed nearly perfectly with few errors. I have used this app to capture the text from preachers and politician’s and have not found any that are nearly as accurate. What I am saying is that you have honed your fitting practice to provide excellent service just like you have honed your voice (videos) so that the person or app fully is satisfied. This video should help other Audiologist hone their fitting method (more than 50 % do not do REM and the hearing aid manufacturers are trying to develop automatic fitting programs to compensate)! SO, do not knock Dr Cliff and do not knock Costco but get the best fitting you can afford

You drove off the Cliff…

3 Likes

Sorry, but I don’t have time to read through all the comments. I got KS10s from Costco in Charlottesville, VA, USA. My dispenser had worked at a brick and mortar hearing aid establishment for 20+ years. He was thoroughly professional, including taking the audiogram before ordering, and then fitting my HAs at delivery, including “Real Ear Verification,” Costco’s version of REM. I have had REM before, so I know that he did it correctly and with the right equipment. He also did a word recognition test (I forget, but I think that I scored ~80% with the HAs…perhaps without???). A week or so later, we did a remote adjustment that knocked about 3dB off the high end of my right ear. I’m a pretty savvy HA guy, and I was totally pleased with the entire experience. BTW, I also have Phonak Marvel RT90s. I have a somewhat better hearing experience with the KS10s which I realize are pretty much Phonak Paradise RT90s in disguise.

3 Likes

Absolutely agree - the sector needs to provide the best experience and outcomes for clients, regardless of spend.

1 Like

I just got a Costco membership and at signup asked for the Hearing Center hours. Was surprised to hear, same as store hours. Went today to stop by and make an appointment and of course, the Hearing Center is closed with even limited weekday hours and I’m in Los Angeles. Such a nice welcome to Costco staff. I am only getting aids here because I can’t afford elsewhere but if I had the money I would prefer a good private practice. I really hate Costco, the crowds, and even the people that shop there. The place is a zoo all the time, and appears very unorganized. At sign up they have you wait in a line, but others go around and just cut the line when a rep becomes open and they do nothing about the situation. I just really hope that the Hearing Center runs better than the rest of the place.

No kidding! A prime example of The Great Unwashed Masses, wouldn’t you say?
Of course, the question begs to be asked, what do they think about YOU?

I say old bean, I believe that is the non-monetary price one must pay in order to get the decreased cash outlay.

Something tells me it won’t.
But - If you see me and my wife (I jus’ call her “Sis”…‘cause she is) say “Howdy!” an’ I’ll knock back a few PBR’s with you, if’n you’re buyin.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity - are you being sarcastic or just plain insulting?

I find Costco to be much less of a zoo if I show up early in the day (near, but not necessarily at opening time)
Attitude is key to success with hearing aids. If you’re already jaded against Costco, there are likely some other low cost options in LA area.
Lastly, if you choose to deal with Costco and the drive is a hassle, you might find it helpful to call the hearing aid department in advance to assure their hours and that they aren’t short staffed that day.

3 Likes

Thanks. I feel like saying, moo, moo. The place is like a cattle drive most times. I will put up with the hassle to save a thousand or two, but I really wonder about those members that wait 45 minutes to save $1.25 filling their gas tank

I actually like their gas station. It’s the only one I know of that has green and red lights indicating if a pump is open. I generally find a pump pretty quickly, although I don’t live in LA. I probably save 15 to 20 cents a gallon and I get Top Tier gas.

We do have the freedom to shop where like here in the USA.
Browbeating something that a person has a choice on going to is pointless.

1 Like

Correct, but then I wouldn’t get my browbeat on. Dont forget, we also have freedom of speech. But as I said, I am only there for the aids. If I can save a few thousand I will put up with the cattle drive. For shopping or gas, never…