Costco? for hearing aids for first timer? Or? Where to start?

And it’s also been said that your brain doesn’t just forget those missing sounds and frequencies, but replaces them with sounds of their own… aka, tinnitus

1 Like

Thank you all for your additional perspectives. You all kind of made my day - I appreciate the encouragement! I’m kind of excited about it!

I would start with Costco. Check out the audiologist if you can. See what his experience with HA is.
I started there and was very happy with the help I got when I first bought HA. Excellent choices and good service.
Mine got worse so my Costco audiologist suggested I see an ENT. That kind of integrity in HA industry is hard to find, even with ENT (Eye, Nose, Ear doctor). Everyone wants to sell you a hearing aid and a hearing test. Ended up seeing 3 ENT’s who ignored my problem ( everybody’s voice sounds like a cartoon character… Donald Duck)

2 Likes

@ciaotebaldi - Thank you for sharing. Sorry to hear about the ENTs dismissiveness, and your comment rang a bit of bell for me. As I recently went to an ENT. My first time. It was incredibly dismissive - I still find it hard to believe. It was as though I was a product purchased at the grocery store and was simply run through the automatic checkout line with barely a hello or a thank you. I found out much more information on my own and on this forum.

1 Like

Yeah! Whenever I get treated like that by any business, (and Medical is a business run by businessmen now,) I dump them. MoMoney, MoMoney, MoMoney! That’s what it’s all about. I tell them "I don’t consider myself a "patient anymore "when I’m treated more like a customer, and badly at that! Too bad. There are good MD’s around but they’re getting more difficult to find. I try to find a freind I can trust and ask who they go to! The AMA and the ADA does nothing about it. They’re in the “fix”!

1 Like

I can relate, I remember when I first got HA’s and was totally lost as to where to start. Luckily I have a great audiologist and good insurance and was able to trust in her. All that to say, in my experience REM, fitting and tuning of the aids is very important to your over all experience. The better all that is the better off you’ll be. Basically the difference between loving your aids and feeling like they are worth the price vs. being slightly annoyed by them and always wishing they were something better.

1 Like

You do not any more of a hearing aid than Costco 10’s rechargeable regular batteries. I would love your hearing loss. I have the Costco 9’s with regular batteries and my ENT said I do not need to upgrade

1 Like

Freedom makes a legitimate point. All Costcos are not created equally. Neither are all audiologist. Saving money at Costcos, although a huge factor, is not the most important thing if you get the wrong aids. As a consumer it is our responsibility to be informed in order to avoid a poor experience. An audiologist or a Costco that recommends just one hearing aid could be a sign of future problems. Costco offers a long trial period. Terrific. Use it. Ask questions. Get things adjusted. Don’t assume that wherever you go it’s going to be a positive experience. This forum is proof that’s not always the case

4 Likes

Just a reminder. So-called audiologists have varied training. Most hearing aid sellers/fitters do not have post-graduate university training. With such, they are either Au.M. (masters) or Au.D. (doctorate). Most people who sell/fit hearing aids are hearing aid technicians, or dispensers. On this site most are frequently referred to as “audiologists”. But actually there are differences. Technicians may not have university training; they pass a test and learn on the job. Hearing aid technicians are licensed by the state (in the US). That said, many are very good at what they do, and with years of experience. Ask questions, if you are concerned.

2 Likes

I’ve only been to Costco because my wife made me. :grinning: Actually I couldn’t hear people at work also. Noisy environment. I went in to Costco in 2012 and didn’t know a thing about hearing loss or ha’s. I feel like I got a good test and fit. I live between two stores so if I don’t like someone, which I don’t, I go to the other store. Just reading this forum has helped me a lot. The book “Hear and Beyond” is great. It really explains a lot. Good luck what ever you do.

2 Likes