Costco 2024 - Jabra Enhance Pro 20 vs Philips 9040

Thank you for the link mxb986. That Costco fitter has a number of videos and am going thru them now. As I am in the midst of deciding between the Jabra EP 20 and the Philips 9040, this is helpful. Plus, on a different video, the fitter made the comment that the Jabra HA has “hands down the best background noise suppression.” I also like the ability to focus on someone in front of you (as described for the Jabra EP20), also on a different video by the fitter.
Will visit Costco this week and talk to a senior tech there that I know and get his opinion, along with any (?) info on the possible Philips 9050.

2 Likes

I find the “Outdoor” setting very useful on my Jabra EP20s–I love these aids, BTW. Have not trialed the Philips, but have worn my Jabras with complete pleasure for 6 months. I have the “third” mic and find I can hear well in new situations without further gadgetry (ie, my Macbook laptop with no connectors or special settings). I also find the “Hear in Noise” setting very useful.

2 Likes

I watched “The hearing club” on the YouTube videos. He reviewed both the Philips and the Jabra EH pro 20’s. Based on his reviews I purchased the Jabra’s. I’ve used several HA’s over the years and these Jabra’s are really good. I love the control I have with their app. The TV streamer + using Auracast is great. I also like the fact that the Jabra’s can use Auracast signals…which will probably be the Bluetooth signal used all over in the next few years. The “Hear in Noise” setting on the Jabra works well in noisy restaurant situations. I’m sure the Philips is a great HA, but the Jabra app is from what I’ve heard a better app.

1 Like

I found the Rexton tulip domes better than any of the ReSound domes for my Pro 10s; I imagine that would be true for Pro 20s. I found well-fitting molds better than the tulip domes. I’ve been using molds that encase the receivers for the last week, and they’re significantly better than the regular molds (moulds). YMMV.

I got unexpected positive results from the Hear in Noise program a few days ago. In a noisy, echo-y environment, with lots of people around, I found myself on a bench talking with a couple. We couldn’t face each other directly, but I could understand what the person next to me was saying, even though she was soft-spoken. I had more trouble with her husband, who was next to her (so farther away from me) and even more soft-spoken, but just hearing her was a surprise.

2 Likes

Where is the announcement? I spoke to the hearing aid folks at my Costco yesterday and they didn’t know anything about it. They did assure me that I could swap my newly purchased 9040s if the new model comes out within the 6 month exchange window.

See this link on this forum: Philips HearLink 9050 to hit Costco soon, similar tech to Oticon Intent?

1 Like

Would like to hear from others on their experiences with the JEP20.

Today is Day 1.5 (picked them up yesterday) with the Jabra Enhance Pro 20 at Costco. As per “The hearing club” on YouTube, I was also swayed to give these a try. So far, limited experience of course, but several observations as I am trying to learn how to best use these. As background, these are replacing my 5 year old Resounds (also purchased at Costco).

1. The Costco tech configured the new HAs with a headset that actually measured the sound volumes in my ear, based on both the frequency/pitch of the speaker, and the volume of the speech. I don’t recall this happening before (but it’s been awhile, so I may have just forgot), which could be the reason I had to keep fiddling with the phone app.
  2. Due to the fitting, the Costco tech talked me out of having additional programs on the JEP20 for the next 2 weeks, as he says that most people he fits do not need the program if the HAs are set up correctly. I am skeptical at this point, but he may be right. I may ask for the Hear in Noise program if I do decide it would help.
  3. Listening for the first time was dramatically different than my older Resounds. As in LOUD. The tech said to not lower the sound for a bit as I will adjust to these. Getting home and later watching TV, they didn’t seem overly loud, but I did note that I didn’t have to turn the volume up as much, and I could better understand the dialogue. So, that is a plus for sure.
  4. The fit on these within my ear is more sensitive than my earlier HAs. That is, I could get away with just sticking the old HAs in my ear that seemed to work ok, but these will provide feedback noise if not properly set in the ear. Maybe the old ones also provided similar feedback, but I just couldn’t hear it.
  5. Trying to decide if the existing noise filter software is adequate or not. For one, I am hearing more noisey stuff. On the other hand, I could hear female speech more clearly. Hmmmm…
  6. The Jabra app is actually an update to my older Resound app, so that is pretty familiar on how to use. That’s good.

So, my hearing is greatly improved, which I like. However, I am also hearing more “noise” (regardless of frequency) which I was unaware of before. Per the tech, my brain will adjust to this new environment over the next 2 weeks, and if so, perhaps this is just my brain’s adjustment period.

And, I have yet to use these in a very noisy environment, which will be a make/break test for me.

Any observations would be appreciated. Thx to the members of this board.

3 Likes

Short update at this point, after 1 week of use of the Jabra Enhance Pro 20. Overall, there is some significant bad with the good.

Yes, improved hearing of high pitched speech (female), both in person, phone, and TV watching.
Still, there is a problem. Am hearing much more noise as opposed to less. This is totally unexpected. Actually, it is quite loud in normal mode, almost to the point of painful, and very distracting. Everyday activities produces a sudden loud pop or screech. Opening anything in a plastic bag is somewhat painful, with all the loud crackling sounds. Wind noise is particularly bad on the highway. It is a bit better in “noise” mode per the app, which the tech told me I would never need to use.

Still one more week before I visit the tech again. Perhaps the tech can adjust these better, or not. As of this morning, I am on the fence whether I will be keeping these or returning them. My two major reasons for an upgrade to a new model was improved speech recognition, and noise control. So far, these have delivered on only one of those features.

I am on week four of my Jabra EP 20s. These are my first hearing aids. I initially had all these loud experiences you were talking about. I believe it was because my hearing had decreased so much in the last 12 years since my previous audiogram that I was just hearing a lot more ‘noise’. I think I’ve adjusted quicker than most. But, initially I spent more time with noisy environments in the Hear in Noise program with ‘noise filter’ turned on in the app. My HCP turned my fitting up to 100% initially suggesting I could turn things down if I wanted to, which I did at first. I’m no longer bothered by crinkley noises and loud background noises are no longer as bothersome to me.

I asked for and got four programs initially; All Around, Here in Noise, Music and TV, and Outdoors (which helps with wind noise). I find that I use all four programs at different times. I feel comfortable using the app and the various changes you can make to each program. As you alluded to, it is a good app.

Today I had my HCP increase the bass in the music program and in the streaming function. I also switched to the M&RIE Receivers with closed domes vs the initial open domes. I also got my REM against the new receiver and domes. I am delighted with all these changes. I listen to a lot of music and the bass so much better. I’m no longer getting feedback when I say ‘woohoo’. And, I like the more natural sound of my voice and when with only a few people (when only the ‘mic in ear’ is active in the Hear in Noise program). I was not annoyed by any of the background noise at Costco.

3 Likes

RSW, thank you for your thoughts, that gives me some hope. You initially used the Hear in Noise program in “noisy environments.” In contrast, I have been keeping the normal mode noise filter on in everyday situations just to make it tolerable. sigh…I did talk directly to Jabra last week and voiced my concerns, not sure what will come of that. I selected the Jabras as they were supposed to have AI features to deal with noise.

I am starting to think that the HA tech over compensated on the high frequency sounds. I will be following up at Costco with the technician this week, and see what he can do. I currently do not have any additional programs on my app, so will definitely ask for them. I like the concept of Hear in Noise, TV, and Outdoor options. I currently have open domes as well. To avoid feedback related noise, I really really really have to fiddle with my left ear to get it to stop. Not sure what a closed dome is, unless that is a custom ear mold. Will be asking about that in my follow up visit.

Between you & me, I will be carrying everything back for the visit in the event I am told there is nothing they can do, but I fully expect to keep them at least another 2 weeks after some adjustments and the addition of the programs to see how they work. If that doesn’t work, either return them or find a different Costco HA tech.

Also of interest (to me, anyway) is that the Samsung 24 series, the latest and greatest, are not yet on their acceptable devices list. As the series has been out for a few months already, this is both disturbing and an indication of how fast Jabra deals with issues. Have no idea what problems, if any, they are encountering to delay placing the Samsung 24 series on their devices list.

Overall, am frankly disappointed at the 2 week mark. Will see what happens this week.

You can certainly ask the HCP (hearing care professional) to reduce the gain in the high frequencies.

Did you have REM (real ear measurements) done? I think when I got mine yesterday that it lowered the gain a bit…not sure. I do notice a very different sound but I am sure the M&RIE Receivers and the domes made big changes as well.

Your open domes are the little rubber like ‘domes’ at the end of the receiver you put in your ears. Closed domes are the same thing but without the holes in them. They tend to reduce feedback and improve bass response. The HCP originally told me the software recommended open domes. I am much happier with the closed domes … as well as the new receivers, but I was going to insist on closed domes regardless of a receiver change.

I have found the Hear In Noise (Front Focus) program to be terrific when speaking to/hearing at a customer window in a store or medical center. For the first time I can hear the employee without a struggle! I use closed domes also.

1 Like

The hearing aids can be programmed at a reduced volume but with a program which gradually increases the volume over a period of 3-6 months as you become more accustomed to the louder noise & adapt. An audiologist at Costco did this for me.

This may be slightly off-topic, but I couldn’t find much that’s current elsewhere.

I’ll be picking up a pair of JEP 20s next week to replace 5 yr old Phonaks that keep spontaneously changing programs (since the last update). They’ll come with custom molds and were recommended by the Costco fitter.

Excepting phone streaming (have read here there are Android problems), I’m looking for an improvement in hearing & features.

I have a couple of questions:

1. My Android 14, S21 Ultra 5G, under Bluetooth, shows “LE audio (LE-KS9.0 hearing aid” active for both right/left aids. Is that part of the phone’s Bluetooth function or did it come with the Phonaks?
  2. Stable phone streaming is important because I can’t understand much speech of whoever I’m talking to just using the phone & not streaming the call. Calls through the aids are critical. Jabra Support told me the Galaxy S21 Ultra should work fine. The Costco fitter said “no guarantees”. Many folks here have reported problems. If need be, I’ll update to a Galaxy S24 Ultra, but will be sad :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: because of $$$$$. Should the LE Audio make a difference to streaming performance?
  3. I’ve seen a lot of negative comments about the Jabra Enhance 20 app, so am wondering if there’s anyone here who would say it’s good - particularly considering the phone streaming function.

Finally, several commenters here seemed to have good hopes about the upcoming Philips 9050. Perhaps my timing is good in getting the JEPs because I can swap them out for the 9050 if really unhappy.

Thanks.

That is from the pairings for the phonak but it isn’t LE Audio. It is old fashioned Bluetooth LE. It is used by the app to control the aids.

WH

1 Like

Toyman1,

Regarding your comment of updating to the Galaxy S24 Ultra (which I also have): I have been told by Jabra Customer Service that the S24 is not yet on the JEP 20 approved list, which is disappointing as the S24 has been out now for several months.

With that said, the S24 is working with the JEP 20s for me for phone calls, so am giving Jabra a pass for a few more weeks for other functions which I have not yet tried.

As far as the app goes, it is essentially the same as the older Resound app, which I was familiar with. From that perspective, am not having an issue.

Regarding the Philips 9050, if I can’t get the JEP 20s to address my concerns, I will return them and wait a bit and see what the 9050 will do.

billgem, that is an intriguing option. will talk to the Costco HA tech about that feature this week. Am a bit disappointed now that the tech/fitter (whatever they call themselves) didn’t even mention this and who didn’t want to install other programs on my phone when receiving the JEP 20s.

1 Like

Wish I could offer some helpful comments, but I cannot, since I don’t use an Android phone. Several people have replied at length, tho’, so I’m hoping that helps you. Good luck! :+1:

Costco HCPs (hearing care professionals) do not hear about updates till a week before they arrive.

I heard the Phillips 9050s will arrive to the US but have not heard a definitive word that they would be at Costco yet. Still waiting.

Besides toggling Bluetooth, I really like my EP 20s with the S23s and streaming music sounds great to me after my HCP cranked up the bass across the lower frequencies and switched from default open to closed domes. HCPs do not tend to fit for music streamers like me…The app is really good…one of the best rated out there.

There is a wide range of capabilities among Costco HCPs. The beauty of their system is that you don’t have to stick with the one you start with. Next time you’re in Costco, go to the Hearing Aids Dept and just ask whoever us available if s/he knows about setting the gain at 90% with it programmed to gradually increase over several months. (Mine was for 6 months.) if you can find one after a few visits, ask to switch to her/him or ask to have that HCP explain it to yours. If you have more than one Costco within a reasonable distance and you find somebody, you can go there instead. (I have half a dozen Costcos within a similar distance from me.)

2 Likes