Cookie bite hearing loss

I wanted to update this thread with my last audiogram. I recently reached out to a new audiologist to meet, get a hearing test, and potentially trial new aids. It was a relief to finally touch base with a new audiologist because she definitely sounds like a better person to work with than my last. After considerable research, I found an audiologist that’s close to where I live, and bonus has a hearing loss. I don’t think I would’ve made it to this point without also seeing a therapist for anxiety surrounding my hearing troubles. With a genetic loss that’s progressive the hearing tests cause me tremendous anxiety surrounding the results not the test itself. In late March, I’ll be able to update with a current audiogram. This one is from 2013 when my current Widex Passion aids were new.

@txgoddess might be able to share information with you. She also has the cookie bite hearing loss and I believe self programs.
It takes a special fitter to deal with your type loss.
Good luck

1 Like

I’m not very successful with it. I have managed to have some improvement, but it’s nowhere near “good”. I’ve had zero luck with someone else programming them, though. All they’ve managed to do is make it worse.

2 Likes

My hearing loss started out as a cookie bite hearing loss and I remember it being very hard to get hearing aids to sound good, and allow me to understand speech. I am now losing my high frequencies and believe it or not my aids are easier to adjust and I am understand speech better, go figure.

2 Likes

@Um_bongo has shared information about how to deal with cookie bite hearing losses.
I remember there are some key fitting differences from the typical ski slope losses. Seems like not pushing gain in the lower frequencies was very important but not sure.
Maybe some pro help will come.

2 Likes

The audiologist sounded comfortable treating cookie bite losses. She offered to loan me hearing aids to test/compare with my current Widex set. She’ll be doing Real Ear Measurements. I have a great deal more confidence in her even with just one phone conversation than in my other audiologist I’ve been seeing for decades. And I’m grateful that I don’t have to purchase anything quite yet. I’m hopeful that the technology has advanced in a way that’s helpful for my loss. I was happy she took the time to give me a call and have a lengthy conversation in response to my emailed questions. I’ll meet with her later this month.

1 Like

While pulling out my last audiogram for this new audiologist I saw that the hearing loss was relatively stable from 2005-2013. I’m curious and nervous to see the results to my hearing test later this month. I fear it’s gotten worse.

Hang in there.
Hopefully one of the pros will chime in with some reassuring information that can help you.
Asking for a fitter with cookie bite experience might be a good thing.
You are not alone.

1 Like

I have a cookie bite loss (inherited) - I had my first hearing test when I was 40 - given that was 28 years ago my hearing hasn’t changed to a great extent which surprises me as I felt that a couple of years ago I was really struggling to hear - even in quiet environments. I got very stressed initially when I was trialling all these different hearing aids - it was so difficult to compare them (I was also travelling 2 hours to the Audiologist) and nothing seemed to change - I was still having difficulty hearing - even at home. I now have an audiologist close to home who suggested that I only try 2 types of aids (both with custom molds) for my hearing loss - it was very simple and stress free in the end and it helped immensely that my lovely audiologist is so patient and caring. I am sure all will go well for you :slight_smile:

1 Like

PRR or anyone: How are readers sharing audiograms? can we scan the hard copies & insert them into our profile or??? It seems beneficial to let the technically minded of this discussion just see the audiograms, since my literacy is not good enough to describe things accurately in narrative. Thanks

In the upper right corner of the page find “my account”
Sign in.
Click public profile.
Click hearing results.

1 Like

Thanks for helping me understand about adding an audiogram into my profile.
Sherry

My cookie bite pattern is responding nicely to my Costco KS9.0 pair that I got 4 mos ago. The Wichita Ks Costco Hrg Spec is not an audiologist, but seems very oriented for my needs on the 3x I have worked with her. I went without any HA for some 8 yrs after noticing my problem, due to no $$/coverage. After my dad died, I eventually got his VA Phonak BTE HA recalibrated for me. I anticipate that my corrected hearing level will improve more when I get a smartphone, since I will be able to adjust programs (Costco H S put me on Auto for the while) & blue tooth calls & use the phone as a remote mic. On Auto program, the correction in noisy environs is not the best, but better than the 2.5 yrs that I used my dad’s reprogrammed VA Phonaks. I just entered my audiogram info into my Public Profile, in case you want to compare after you get your recent data. Best wishes for your own journey.

1 Like

Stress and tension DO make hearing worse. Not in one day, but prolonged stress is bad for many things, including ears.

Relax. Every day you get smarter and wiser. Yes, also stiff and wrinkled. It is natural and normal. “Fear” won’t help.

Modern aids “can” help. My PA system experience says that “cookie” will be tough. It bites important sounds, AND the full bass hearing will “overlap” and mask those midrange sounds. (And then the good high hearing without midrange clues must make crinkles grating.)

It’s challenging. Aids from the last few years may be very much better at this than the older ones. An experienced and caring fitter may matter more than the machinery. This can be more art than science so I would not fret about the fitter’s academic degree.

@ humboldtgrrl - what Raudrive says. I only found it from one of his posts.

2 Likes

Thanks. I think the progressive nature of my cookie bite lends itself to finding the hearing test stressful. Will it be worse than last time, and what technology will they offer? I’d imagine most hearing aids are designed with more typical hearing loss patterns in mind. I understand they’ll be programming my specific loss into the aids, but I haven’t had great experiences with correction so far. The expense of aids and the fact they are not covered by health insurance does not help. After speaking with the new audiologist, I think she’ll be helpful otherwise I wouldn’t have made the appointment. At the very least I think she’s someone that wants to make it work. With my last audiologist every adjustment seemed the same. And I can honestly say my hearing aided vs unaided was maybe 5% better with aids. I think I’m ready to start this journey again. I’m hopeful that there’s something out there that can help.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! It’s good to know I’m not alone with a cookie bite and that you’re finding your aids helpful.

While looking for an audiologist, I was searching for someone with personal understanding of hearing loss and someone nearby. My new audiologist has hearing loss and she’s within a 15 minute drive from my house. Already I’ve found that talking to her about her own hearing loss experiences and correction personally helpful. I was looking for someone who was more likely to be sympathetic to the frustrations of getting the right fit. I now know the importance of having the audiologist close by to service the aids. My old audiologist wasn’t very far, but far enough to make adjustments a pain. March 26th I’ll have that first appointment and I’m excited to meet her in-person. Because I have anxiety about the results of the test she’s offered to keep the results to herself and just use it to program the aids. Although I appreciate that offer I know I’ll be curious to see the updated audiogram.

Appointment delayed by a month due to COVID-19

Finally have a hearing screening and HA fitting on the schedule for this summer after several rescheduled appointments due to Covid-19. My new audiologist plans to have me trial a Signia or ReSound hearing aid. Does anyone know which of their aids would likely be recommended for a mid frequency cookie bite loss? Having only used Widex in the past, how do Signia and ReSound compare?

Just found this old thread and wanted to chime in, in case it might help another member.
I have what I would describe as genetic cookie bite hearing loss that I have dealt with since my teens. Have been wearing Oticon OPN 2s for the past four years and love them. I prefer a set it and forget it approach and as such have only one program that works well for me in most situations. There are some shortcomings, notably lack of bass with streamed music, but otherwise they just work for me.
Recently I began exploring upgrading to a newer technology, in order to see if there are gains to be had. Based on my audiogram, the audiologist recommended the Phonak Audeo Paradise P90 or P70 or Oticon More1. Checked out the KS10 at Costco, but it wasn’t a noticeable improvement for me, at least not in the store walk around. Sounded a bit muted, although much of that might relate to the closed domes the fitter was recommending. I might order a pair to trial, but at this point at least am leaning towards demoing the Oticon More1, as I seem to have adapted to the Oticon open sound.

2 Likes