Cookie bite hearing loss,any suggestions

On day 2 of wearing Siemens active life open fit hearing aids, seem to be working well. I have a 60 day trial with them but would also like to compare other open fit aid products. Any suggestions on any other hearing aids that would be considered with a cookie bite hearing loss. Audiogram as follow:
hz db
250 15
500 35 and 30
750 50 and 60
1000 60
2000 50
4000 45 and 50
8000 30

You could try…

Phonak audeo or Savia… or Even exelia
GN Pulse Or GN Azure or GN dot
Oticon Epoq or Oticon Delta (I like the 4000- it isnt so pricey)
Bernafon brite …

But there are also others which are reall good

Thank you for your suggestions. I am wondering if others have sucess with the siemens centra active, with a similar cookie bite type hearing loss. Also I have heard other new aids will be on the market soon, any advice.

yes, many companies are in fact introducing new products…

There is an ongoing war between the top four companies for leadership…

Siemens as #1, Oticon #2, Phonak #3 and GN #4

In our industry we have 2 large events 1 - the AAA (usa) and 2- EUHA (germany)

Most companies do infact launch new products during those times…
While it is true GN had launch the dot (prior) it will release the sparx and
continue to promote the Azure…

Phonak will probably feature the dynamic FM and the Exelia and naidia- this are novel products and therefore I wouldnt expect them to launch new products…

Siemens will launch quite a few new products… I would expect to launch
something like the Exelia or Epoq… with bluetooth compatibility…

Oticon will introduce Vigo and Vigo pro - which will probably stirr the competition… I have seen the specs from their capital day presentation
and it should be an interesting product to work… They could pull it off
only if they fix the fitting on genie 2007 (I dont like the workflow so much)

So we have very exciting times ahead of us, regardless of what you fit…
New products open new possibilities for all of us

I was suggested the Widex passion, has anyone have experience with this aid? Is it new, never heard of this aid before. Would it be good with a person with a cookie bite hearing loss? Is it priced comparably to the siemens centra active that I am currently trying? Thanks for your suggestions.

Would anyone suggest that a receiver in the canal is the way to go with a cookie bite type of hearing loss. I have been using the siemens centra active with r.i.c. for a week now and seem to be adjusting to them very well. Anyone else out there that have success with these or anything negative about them. I would really like to test another pair of instruments to compare any differences between them and before I commit myself to a expensive investment.

i would try the passion for sure.
you might benefit from the extendent bandwith (better localization clues)
it is a really new instrument it was just release @ EUHA… and for that amount of money i rather buy
something made in denmark vs something made in china…

Thank you for responding. Are you saying that Widex has better advancements with there products over other companies. Is the price comparable to the Siemens centra active. I see that many of Widex products are very costly. Is anyone at this time using a pair of Widex Passion that is reading this and what is there opinion of them.

Not really, Widex used to be a serious player but they have fall out of grace…
the basic reason is that they do not launch as many products as their competitors. For example it is quite possible to buy products from them
for example the senso, wich had been around for a very very long time.

Most HI companies are public, Sonova (phonak unitro), William demant(oticon bernafon), Siemens (siemens,rexton,AM), Sonic Inv. So if you wish to see what is up, it is public information so you get an idea of what is happening.
However, Starkey and Widex are private companies - so there is no way of
knowing what is going on inside. As for the price of Widex, I had heard they still manufacture in Denmark. Most companies do in china - Phonak ( it is not disclosed what is and what isnt), siemens (all produce in china), GN (all china) and Oticon out of poland… So it is natural that widex cost is expensive…

As per acheivements, some companies had some acheivements in some area some dont. Example, Oticon had the first commercial digital HI, while widex had the first Ite and GN had the first Open fit instrument… While it is common
knowledge that Phonak is leading innovation in the FM market… they are other examples… you get the idea
So it depends…

On week 2 of wearing the Siemens Centra Active hearing aids. I am still not getting the clarity I was expecting. I do hear the radio and television better and understand the words clearer without having to raise the volume like I previously would have. When I am with groups of people I still have a hard time understanding at times, not as bad but not very clear. Maybe I am just expecting to much out of these. I have to go next week to have them adjusted anyway. They are very comfotable to wear, and nobody really notices them on me. Is bte with receiver in the ear the way to go with my hearing loss. I hear alot of good things about the Oticon Epoq , and I know many new hearing devices will be introduced soon. Also I hear better on my home phone without the hearing aids in and get feedback when using my cellphone. My audiogram is as follows:
hz db
250 15
500 30 and 40
750 55 and 60
1000 60
2000 50
4000 45 and 50
8000 35

On day 2 of wearing Siemens active life open fit hearing aids, seem to be working well. I have a 60 day trial with them but would also like to compare other open fit aid products. Any suggestions on any other hearing aids that would be considered with a cookie bite hearing loss. Audiogram as follow:
hz db
250 15
500 35 and 30
750 50 and 60
1000 60
2000 50
4000 45 and 50
8000 30

Are you using domes? If so are the open domes (with holes through them) or clised domes (double domes with no holes)? If you are not already fitted with custom ear tips you might also consider these as your loss at 500Hz and 1000Hz is too great for normal open domes and closed domes might cause some occlusion (like you have a cold of flu when you speak).

The type of tip I am using is a single dome tip with holes on it. Should I be using a different tip? I will be going back next week for adjustments. They started me out at a beginning setting and will tweak the aids as needed. I was told I would have to get use to them little by little and make adjustments to fit my audiogram readings as time goes on. I have a 60 day trial on them. They also said other new aids are coming out and would be able to try them also if I would like to compare differences. Any recomendations on different types of aids that would be better for my fit. Thanks for all of the input.:slight_smile:

I would ask the audi to try a diferent dome fist, maybe a single closed dome or even a double closed dome (saying this a custom made tip is lways more comfortable) - an open dome really gives you almost no sound below 1,5Khz even if the audi tries to adjust it - there is simply too much leakage (the computer may say there is enough sound, but inveriably if it is actually measured using REM, it shows no or minimal gain). Has your audi actually measured the aids’ performance in your ears using real ear measurements or did they simply accept what the computer calculated? You can also try other aids, but the aid is only as good as it has been set up and is almost never optimal unless it has been measured for your hearing loss in your ears (rather than average ears which the computer calculates). So I suggest you focus on getting these right and once it’s done, consider if you need to try something else (also properly fitted).

Thank you Hearnow for responding. So you think a closed dome or a double dome would be a better fit for my hearing loss? The feedback issues and clarity issues would be better off with these domes. I previously had cic hearing aids in which I could never get used to (clogged up feeling and sounds were not natural) and they were not the aids I should have had at the time. This was going back 8 years ago. Technology has come a long way, so I have heard since then. These are much more comfortable and at times I forget they are even in. Are there other similar types of aids that you would recommend over the Siemens Centra Active. :slight_smile:

Of all these dome options a custom made canal tip is your best options as the audi can alter the venting to reduce risk of occlusion (blocked feeling), which might be present with the closed domes. My favourite open fits are Yuu Moxi (great features and great value and excellent FB Mx), Element 16 Moxi (Good pricing), Exelia M (great for wireless tech and amazing features and sound quality- smaller Exelia micro comming in this month?), Epoq XW (wireless capability - pos less capable than Exelia, but is smaller).

I do not know how I missed this post - very informative and I think alot of what has been my problem. Thanks!