Considering Second Implant--Will sound quality approximate "normal"?

My apologies, I misread your posts. Thank you for your thoughts.

Your comment about little improvement is wrong about CI. For most implants the improvement is huge. Enough to change the way you live, at least it was for me.

I believe you mentioned getting further tests to see if CI would medically work for you. Please keep us updated. I for one am interested.

Sheryl, sorry for going off topic on your thread.

4 Likes

This is why CI do work well…

3 Likes

If it’s any help, I’ve had about seven of my patients become CI users over the past few years and all of them are happy they did it and report life-changing improvements. One reports much better hearing but is a little unhappy with his magnet placement–he’s not complained in a while but I don’t know if they changed something or if he got used to it. One can only hear with lip reading and effort with theirs, but the ear had been unaided for over a decade and they still feel that it adds huge benefit when used with their relatively well-hearing aided ear. For all of them, there’s still a device they need to manage and there are still noise situations that are not optimal. All of them report that the number one thing they like is how much easier everyday conversation is.

Oh no, I forgot someone. One patient is a bit luke warm. They hear better with it but find it fussy. Their hearing in the other ear is quite good and they resisted a lot of the rehab recommendations in the first six months. The implanted ear had been unaided for a couple of years before surgery. They do wear it consistently, but are not as effusive as my other patients.

In regards to age–we always compare ourselves against a memory we have of our younger selves. But as someone who works with a fair number of older seniors. . . 75 isn’t that old.

5 Likes

I have nothing whatsoever to contribute to this thread (I only wear hearing aids) other than, Welcome to the Forum! :slight_smile: I’m relatively new here, but have found that everyone here is very nice, and eager to help. You’ll enjoy visiting.

2 Likes

Thanks for your input Joan.
I’e just joined the group as recently, March, I suffered a sudden sensorineural hearing loss event in my left ear, which given I was already completely deaf in my right ear, has had a huge effect on my life. Boy what a change to my life!
So I am now looking to CI for help and am currently trying to decide which of the manufacturers is best.
So great to hear positive feedback and such success stories…its heart warming.

2 Likes