Connexx fitting - insitugram

Is the insitugram a method to modify or fine tune ones audiogram and thus retune the aids? And then should one run the critical gain tab next to it? Message says “accoustical behavior can be optimized”. What is it for? Seems like the VC range(gray area in aid readout) was greatly lessoned when i ran it, don’t know if that matters since I rarely change the volumn. My master gain is at 13.

in-situ search

Thanks PVC, you sure are “Johnny on the spot” I have done tons of reading , but there is a lot to cover, more I read, more I realize there is to more to learn.
I have done the insitu a few times,but am not satisfied with the high freq range, doesnt test past 6K. Did the tone test from one of your posts and I cannot hear past 4300 with or without my aids so I need help in extending the high range of the insitugram. Don’t think my aids are doing much in the higher range.

You might want to consider frequency compression to make the highs audible.

Also Connexx7 Handbook Page 50.

I have setup a program with Fmin at 4.75K (where I loose hearing) and Fmax at 8k. Just clicked on ‘use frequency comp’ in Connexx 8.2, didn’t change any other parameters…testing with online signal gernerator, still cant hear above 4700. Thought the higher freq would be shifted to something hearable

If you lose hearing at 4.7, you need fmin set below 4.7 to add any audibility. Right now you’re not really doing anything. You need to put any high frequencies you want to hear below 4.7, but first you want to know that you’re getting your prescribed gain via REM. I think mine was originally set at 5-7 and I’ve gradually changed it to 3.75-5. I think I may still get a little more aggressive, but I can hear over 6k and esses are audible. I’d highly encourage reading the 20Q article on Frequency Lowering.

Is this what you are talking about. Compressed my universal program, bumped up the compressed range a few db and saved it separate. Still not noticing a lot of difference. Again from the beginning , other than the truth of my audiogram, and my wife, I don’t feel I am missing out on much anyway. denial??

In your left ear, you have near normal hearing up to 2khz so changes are not going to be dramatic. From the screen you’re on, I can see that Frequency Compression is on, but the settings are pretty gentle–looks like 4khz to 8khz. Under Fine Tuning, there should be a tab labelled Frequency Compression. It’s 3rd one down, after Frequency Shaping and Compression. There are 2 sliders that allow you to set the frequency compression starts, (Sounds below that frequency are unchanged) and another one that lets you set the frequency compression ends. They’re called fmin and fmax respectively. Ideally you should have somebody verify through REM that you’re getting appropriate gain at the higher frequencies and then they could adjust the Frequency Compression to get you audibility at higher frequencies.

Yes I did set fmin to 4khz (because an online tone generator is where I lost hearing pure tones) and fmax to 8khz. I understand the basic on some things, but it is the final actual fine tuning itself, not knowing "where ’ to set things, like what frequencies to boost to what db level or even adjusting compressed db levels.
As for as the rem, I am trying to figure out how to get one, as audis here want thousands to do it all, no love for DIY. You think some would at least work by the hour to make something off of someone instead of sending them away.

Let us know your findings. I’d like to look at those functions too.

OK, I don’t know your approach to things. Mine would be to read up frequency lowering. (a quick google search of frequency lowering hearing aids will get you several excellent articles.

If that’s not your style, I’d drop fmax to 6khz right away, and gradually work down to 5 or 5.25 khz. If that still wasn’t enough to get you some additional high frequency (“s” sound at about 6300hz is a good target), then I’d drop start frequency to 3.75khz and fmax to 5.75khz and repeat. This is all based on the assumption that the aids are properly adjusted to begin with. If you dropped high frequency gain because things were too noisy, you’d be chasing your tail. Personally I started with 5-7khz and have worked down to 3.5-5khz and am pretty happy with it.

I don’t think you’re going to be able to do REM DIY. If you’re not going to involve a professional, I’d say best bet would be to go with default settings for experienced users with appropriate dome settings. I’d probably use NAL-NL2 instead of Signia’s proprietary, but there’s probably not much difference. I’d stay away from gain and compression settings unless you really feel competent at what you’re doing. Note “compression” is different than frequency compression

Thanks for the advise MDB, that is exactly what I am hoping to get from experienced people in this forum. I know ‘nuttin’

I have tried to find a Connex 8 handbook without luck. Would the Connexx 7 handbook you mentioned be mostly appropriate or do have a link for a Connexx 8 handbook?

I think the Connexx 7 Handbook was the last one. There are references to the 8 updates.

Also, there was a Connex 8.4 Documentation. I don’t think it updates well, I can email it to you.

There is a free Connexx course if you don’t want certification.