Connecting Connectclip to PC

Laptop doesn’t support 4.2 either… Works fine on there with 4.1. In any case, it’s needed more on the laptop than the desktop so it’s probably not worth worrying about. If I really need it I can pick up a $20 BT 4.2 dongle.

The issue with the BT 4.2 dongle is that hopefully it’s fast enough without noticeable latency to you. I guess that depends on the quality of the dongle.

My audiologist recommended the Sennheiser BTD 800 USB dongle when I was using OPN1 with my desktop. It paired easily and I didn’t notice any latency issues. I don’t seem to need it with OPN-S1R, most likely due to Windows 10 upgrades during the past several months. I read that, up until recently, Sennheiser had an affiliation with Oticon (Demant) as a joint venture, but they have recently decided to split up.

Did it connect to the connect clip or straight to the aids

@cvkemp , my ConnectClip is paired to my MS Windows PC, and the Clip facilitates streaming to the hearing aids. I don’t own anything made by Apple, but I understand that you can stream directly (without the ConnectClip) when you use Mac, iPad, or other Apple products.

Not to the MACs or watch just to IOS devices. I have the connect clip paired to my Mac and watch.

1 Like

Hmmm…thanks for that clarification, @cvkemp. :slight_smile:

The Mac uses MacOS, which is not the same as the iOS.

1 Like

Thanks, @Volusiano. Admittedly, I don’t know anything about Apple product operating systems, because I don’t use them. But I appreciate the clarification.

I have resolved this issue. The CC was not showing up as a bluetooth device until I uninstalled the bluetooth drivers in device manager on Windows 10 PC. I then scanned for changes and the bluetooth hardware already installed in my computer showed up immediately. On the connect new bluetooth device page the CC showed up immediately and when I clicked connect it connected immediately. I can now stream from my PC to my Oticon Opn 1 HAs.

1 Like

I have a ConnectClip and OPN S 1 aids. All have the latest firmware as of a few months ago. At my last visit for adjustments, we ended up speaking to Oticon Technical support about why I had issues with an Apple iMac Pro (then with current software updates to macOS (10.15.X) and Bluetooth 5 and BLE) where the sound breaks up when streamed through the ConnetClip. The tech support person strongly suggested that the Sennheiser BTD 800 USB dongle provided with the ConnectClip be used with any PC (Mac or Windows) other than the MacBook Pro. Sure enough, using the dongle instead of the built-in bluetooth to connect with the ConnectClip got rid of the issues with sound streaming from the iMac Pro. It is not needed with my work MacBook Pro which has Bluetooth 4.2 and BLE) - go figure.

The Oticon rep also suggested that the firmware of the USB dongle be checked and updated if not current - that can be done in Windows using the Headset Pro software used to configure Sennheiser bluetooth headsets.

I have the MacBook Air from 2017 and I use it with my connect clip all the time and I am just using the bluetooth that is in my MacBook and I am not having any issues. I do not remember my connect clip coming with a dongle .

The dongle came in separate packaging from the ConnectClip. My ConnectClip was delivered soon after they finally became available in the US. The brown cardboard box was about 5x3.5x1 inch in size with Sennheiser markings.

It may be that all the Apple notebooks have appropriate support (both hardware and software) but the desktops like the iMac don’t. I wonder if the USB dongle supports profiles that the desktop Macs don’t. Profiles listed for the Sennheiser dongle include: HSP 1.2, HFP 1.7, A2DP 1.3, AVRCP 1.6. There are also statements about 25 m (device dependent) range and Narrowband or Wideband A2DP.

I wonder if you got some kind of pre-released ConnectClip if you got it JUST right after it came out to the market like you said you did. The ConnectClip that I got doesn’t have any Sennheiser dongle included. I never have reliability issue in streaming when using my ConnectClip with my Windows 10 laptop or Samsung Note 8 phone. I don’t use Apple computers.

1 Like

I have to agree I have not had any issues with connecting my connect clip to MacBook, or windows 10. The Only issue I have is sometimes connecting it to my Phone Connect 2 and I am hoping there is a update to my Phone Connect to take care of that issue.

FWIW: For absolutely no reason I can figure out, after spending WAY too much time trying unsuccessfully to get the ConnectClip for my OPNs working on Windows 10, it started. I was at the point of ordering a Sennheiser dongle, and connected a set of bluetooth headphones for something. Then, just 'cause I saw the ConnectClip listed in the devices I tried connecting it one last time, and it worked.

Still windows 10, still the same bluetooth (4.0 I’ve been told), but it’s been working ever since… Is there any possibility that the most recent update from Microsoft did something to make it work or is it just dumb luck?

There are just way too many factors with the Windows PC world that it’s just impossible to nail it down to one thing that’s a possible cause. Maybe there’s some item(s) in your registry that corrupted something and finally was cleared out or something.

On my Windows 10 PC, I was able to use Bluetooth and the ConnectClip and other BT devices just fine forever, then all of a sudden one day my BT devices stopped working. It turned out that something went wrong with my built-in BT functionality on my PC. So I had to buy an external BT dongle and got it to work with my BT devices again. But then all of a sudden, that made the built-in BT to work again for some reason, so I no longer needed the external BT dongle that I bought. I could never figure out why, but I just counted my blessing that it worked again and I moved on.

2 Likes

The BTD has drivers for everything, where a PC or Apple is hit or miss on drivers. Another advantage of using the BTD is that you are paired to it, so you can move it to another computer easily.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

As for Volusiano’s question, I have no idea if my ConnectClip is pre-release or non-standard. It is identified as a “ConnecClip 1.1” by the Apple system information app. If I run the firmware option in Genie II (2019.2) under Windows 10 on my iMac (using Bootcamp), it lists the firmware version as 1.13.0 and “Up to date”. The serial number is: 3183430 (reported by Genie and also by the Apple app).

The Oticon rep I spoke to asked specifically if I was using the Sennheiser dongle that was provided with the ConnectClip. I had not been using it - using it got rid of the problem with my iMac.

I agree that OS and driver updates can cause or fix issues. On my work MacBook Pro I sometimes run Windows to allow connection to lab equipment that has only Windows drivers. A windows update made the Apple bluetooth mouse I typically use unavailable. It was paired and connected according to Windows 10 but it did not work. I finally was able to recover use of it many months later by turning off the option to allow the computer to turn off the bluetooth radio to save power (I had not checked that box myself so I assume an update did as the mouse stopped working immediately after an update). That kind of issue might also affect other bluetooth devices/functions …

So I’ve paired my connectclip with my brand new Win10 computer, listened to some music, had a good phone call on Skype for Business (yes it used the mic from the connectclip), but when I come back hours later - say I took a break for lunch away from my computer. When I come back I pull up the bluetooth devices and click connect it says it can’t connect to the connectclip. So then I delete the device, pair the connect and it works again. The frustrating thing is why doesn’t it just reconnect, I have to do this everyday several times a day.