Confused about options for complete deafness in left ear

Hi I lost my hearing in left ear as a child due to mumps and was told the nerve was completely dead and there was nothing they could do for it. Now as a adult I have a mild to moderate hearing loss in my right ear which I have hade to wear a hearing aid in for the last couple of years. I recently got a new resound danalogic e series hearing aid for my right ear but I still can’t hear if someone is talking to me on my left side which has been a problem for me since my first hearing aid. I have an appointment on the 17th to have adjustments made and was going to tell them that I recently learned of cros aids and was thinking of mentioning them but I don’t really know what other technology options are out there I. I know technology has changed a lot since I was a child and want to learn as much as possible about my options before my appointment and if there are any adjustments that can made on my current hearing aid to make things easier for me to hear on the left or if not what’s out there in terms of technology other than cros aids to help me with hearing on the left or are cros aids my only option.

CROS is most common non-surgical treatment option for single-sided deafness, but you may want to consider a cochlear implant for your left ear. Hearing with both ears can help improve sound localization and speech perception in noise.

Thanks for your reply I may consider cros aids as I had an appointment about a two years ago about maybe having a cochlear implant as one of the audiologist at inhealth in the U.K. I saw seemed to wonder if it might help and my hospital won’t do it as they don’t think it’s necessary. I don’t really know what the audiogram shows for the left side I was just always told from being a child that I was nerve dead on the left side and couldn’t hear if I put the phone to that ear so I’m going to make some enquiries about cros aids and my audiogram for the left ear on the 17th and take things from there. As I’m confused because I don’t know if its my brain making me think I hear something on that side because if I’m lying down on my right ear and say I have something on like the tv with my left ear facing it I can just about make out a sound but I don’t know if that is my right ear compensating for lack of sound from the left and tricking me.

If your nerve is dead, a cochlear implant won’t help.

Trying a CROS HA will be good or you can ask to trial a BAHA as well.

Thanks I need to find out more information about what my audiogram for the left ear says on the 17th as I’m not sure what is going on with my left ear because sometimes if am laying on my right side and my right ear is blocked I think I can pick up certain tones very faintly but I don’t know if thats just my brain fooling me into thinking I’m hearing on the left but really it’s just my ear picking up vibrations from the right side and making me think I’m hearing that sound. Hopefully I will know more then and know if I’m definitely nerve dead on the left and need cros aid or if there is another way to handle this.

Could you post your audiogram? --Steve

These are both good suggestions. Sometimes they tell you “you’re nerve is dead,” but really mean your inner ear is not functioning and CIs may be indicated. Zebras, You seem to have a profound loss all the way across the spectrum. What works for you?

Hi unfortunately I have got a copy of my audiogram but am hoping to find out more on what’s happening on the 17th

Been to my audiologist today and they are ordering in a set of wired cros aids as they are all this place do for me to be fitted with on the 22nd of June and they have said that I find them annoying because of the wire I can get a referral to another place that will be able to do the wireless cros aids for me also they may have to do moulds for them as I currently have open fit but they are going to see how open fit works first.

I’ve never even seen a wired CROS. Where do you live?

I live in the U.K. and my current audiologist is through a company called inhealth which deal with gp nhs referrals through the doctors surgery but if I straight out want wireless cros aids I have go through being referred to a ear nose and throat clinic as inhealth don’t have the option of wireless so opted to try the wired first as it’s less of a wait for it and I can go always go for wireless later down the line.

Interesting. Keep in mind that the wired CROS processing is probably very limited to non-existant, so it may be quite a different experience compared to, say, modern wireless options from Signia or Phonak.

Thank you I am aware of this and my audiologist informed how to get wireless if I don’t get on with wired to start with

The wired cros aids will be a bit bulkier because of the shoes or boots that need to be placed on the end of the aids to connect the wire between the two aids.

I have had both the wired and the wireless and I much prefer the wireless.

Thank for letting me know they did say I might find them annoying what’s your experience with the cros aids how did you find it when they were first fitted? Did things sound strange coming from the side of your bad ear at first?

I really didn’t find it strange at all. I simply realised that I could hear things coming from the left side. I didn’t have to make sure that anyone I was with had to be on my right side so that I could hear them.

I did find the wire was a bit annoying - they seemed only to have two lengths - long or short, neither of which were quite the right length for me.

Battery changing was a bit of a pest, because I had to remove the boot or shoe before I could change the battery.

I’m talking about 20 years ago now, things could have changed in that time and improved.

I would still prefer to have the wireless cross aids though.