Conflicting info from audiologists...do I need a third opinion?

We are getting ready to purchase new HAs for our 14 y/o daughter who has been wearing aids since she was 6 mos old. We were with her former audi for 12 years but have decided to see someone new. We have had a good experience with her current Phonaks, but it is time for an upgrade. Now that she is a teenager, she is more concerned with “discretion”, but we also need something that will “stay put” when she participates in sports.

Two years ago, she asked if she could wear CIC aids, and our former audiologist told us that she was NOT a good candidate for CIC aids (said it would not provide good sound, etc. for her); she wanted us to stay with Phonak BTE because we’ve had good luck with them. Our new audi spent a lot of time talking with us, she also suggested staying w/ Phonak but said there was no reason she couldn’t wear a CIC (Phonak Virto) aid. (The new audi was not PUSHING the Virto, but she showed it to us in addition to several BTE options). I am concerned about the conflicting opinions. Thoughts? Third opinion needed?

For reference, her audio:
Freq R L
250 55 60
500 60 55
750 60 55
1000 65 70
1500 70 65
2000 65 65
3000 65 60
4000 60 60
6000 65 50
8000 65 55

Word Recog: R–80% at 85/L–96% at 85

I have a very similar loss profile, aside from the fact that my right ear is totally dead. I have successfully worn CIC aids since they first went digital. I don’t see why she couldn’t.

Thank you, JeffBowser. Do you have thoughts about how well your CIC stays in place? She is a very active athlete (basketball, running, and soccer). Has your CIC ever just “popped” out? Sorry if this question is silly, but we have always had BTE–new territory and the unknown for us.

— Updated —

Thank you, JeffBowser. Do you have thoughts about how well your CIC stays in place? She is a very active athlete (basketball, running, and soccer). Has your CIC ever just “popped” out? Sorry if this question is silly, but we have always had BTE–new territory and the unknown for us.

Never. On the contrary, I find the CIC to be FAR more secure than the BTE’s I had to wear way back when.

— Updated —

Never. On the contrary, I find the CIC to be FAR more secure than the BTE’s I had to wear way back when.

One thing to consider, the CIC is a hard plastic shell. If you get hit in or around the ear while playing sports, it could cause a great deal of pain, as well as injury to the ear canal. A soft earmold used with a BTE helps reduce the chance of that happening. Also, if the CIC does come out, it might be very difficult to locate due to the tiny size. You may never see it again. That’s exactly what happened to another user on the forum just a few months ago.

I will add to rasmus’s story in that one of the friends of mine who now wears BTE HA’s lost something like eight CIC HA’s in about three years never to be found again and there are three of the eight still lost in his large backyard that he has never been able to find, so a 14 year old active girl with CIC’s you better get a rider on your homeowners policy, just in case.

Thanks for the input! So glad I found this site. Great point about injury; I was focusing more on whether or not it would fall out (and if someone w/ her hearing loss still had good sound quality while wearing CICs). Perhaps she can wear her current BTE HAs while playing sports and the CICs during the school day, etc.

— Updated —

Thanks for the input! So glad I found this site. Great point about injury; I was focusing more on whether or not it would fall out (and if someone w/ her hearing loss still had good sound quality while wearing CICs). Perhaps she can wear her current BTE HAs while playing sports and the CICs during the school day, etc.

I have to counter the loss and injury stories. I’ve worn hearing aids since I was 6. As for injury, I have had BTE’s crushed against my head. That hurt. Injury to an ear canal? Possible I suppose, but unlikely. As for sports, played sports, I had more issues with the BTE coming out from behind my ear and swinging free than with CIC and ITE issues. I cannot for the life of me imagine how someone could lose 8 CICs in a year unless they are taking them out. My CICs are actually difficult to remove, they for certain will not, and have not ever, popped out accidentally, even on impacts (and I have taken impacts severe enough to generate concussions). I was once smashed into by some idiot running a stop sign. T-boned me on the driver side, which is where my HA is. It knocked me unconscious momentarily, as I found myself strangely sitting in the passenger seat still reaching for the brakes. I didn’t know who I was for hours afterwards, yet my CIC stayed firmly fixed in place. These things are not uber-delicate, and do not just fall out of your head for no reason, and indeed, don’t pop out for good reason either, as I have just demonstrated.