Concerns about the noise problem

I would point out the “for now…” qualification. Especially for Dr. Cliff’s praise that the Roger Pen is the best auxiliary speech-in-noise aid there is when he did his review and works with ~any HA with the right connector, I was tempted except for the price to get one - I plan to get a multi-mic, also supposed to be good for ReSounds. But then with these devices, you can have a problem with placement and your movement, etc., as well as it’s not so cool at a cocktail party to come up to someone and point your Roger Pen at them.

I wonder if anyone has compared the listening and signal-in-noise power of the most premium HA’s to an Amazon Echo. I have a second-generation Echo Dot. It’s ability to pick out speech in noise is absolutely astounding. It has a SEVEN MICROPHONE FAR-FIELD ARRAY. Don’t know if the mics in HA’s qualify as far-field arrays. I guess they do: Microphone - Wikipedia

But seven mics must be a lot better than two or four, whatever is in HA’s. That’s the sort of microphone array I would envision around the HA necklace that takes off from the Bose Hearphone concept - plus the additional processing power to go with it in the necklace or elsewhere on your body or in your clothes that you can’t pack in HA’s due to limitations in their size and battery power, etc., ……

I’m guessing Amazon Echo’s power needs are magnitudes greater than hearing aids. A great deal of the problem is trying to make super small and not require much power. Heck, one of our forum members has a PSAP that he’s had for awhile that streams regular BT to them. However, they’re big and require a lot of power.

Jim,

eBay…

Get you a type 2 receiver and a Roger pen. Look on eBay. I picked my set up for $300.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. I like the idea of the multi-mic because when you lay it down, it becomes omni-directional. Have you used a multi-mic and if so, what do think of it? Not hearing conversation a couple people down at a table in a noisy restaurant is part of my HA loss and I was hoping the omni-directionality of the multi-mic would solve that, if folks don’t mind having the multi-mic plopped in their midst!

I also picked up my Roger System for around $300. It also came with 2017 serial numbers I was lucky.

1 Like

Dr. Cliff’s latest YouTube video is about the Roger Select. Sounds like the ReSound Multi-Mic but maybe even better and, with certain conditions, Olson says that the Roger Select will work with “almost” any HA. Sounds like the kicker is that you either have to be able to fit a Roger receiver on the bottom of your HA or you have to have an HA with a telecoil if it’s not a Phonak or related HA.

Anyone tried the Roger Select vs. the ReSound Multi-Mic??? Dr. Cliff doesn’t not mention that little thing called price - perhaps another one of those “If you have to ask, you can’t afford it” deals.

2 Likes

From what I’ve seen, every piece of the Roger system costs as much as a hearing aid :astonished:

4 Likes

With apologies to efigalaxie and anyone else concerned about the potential negative effect of OTC on the quality of HA’s and the enjoyment of great professional treatment, maybe if MFA from Google and OTC together ever really get rolling, there will be great Multi-Mic/Roger Select-like devices available at a much lower cost.

When Amazon can make and “give away” Echo Dot as low as $30 on sale - and these have excellent 7-microphone far-field arrays that can pick my voice out of a very noisy environment with the AC, the refrigerator, the Jenn Aire stove top exhaust, etc., all running, there is hope that if the market expands due to OTC bringing a higher volume of hearing device purchases that the cost of remote microphone devices will come down a bit.

Besides my previous remarks of how the cost of personal computing has dropped since the pioneer days with orders of magnitude increases in CPU speed, RAM, and disk storage, I remember the reel tape recorder my Dad had back in the 1950’s.

Dad’s tape recorder was about a foot square and 6 to 8 inches high. Cost him $800 in the '50’s, which would be equivalent to $7,000 to $8,000 in today’s U.S. dollars. Forgotten when it was but just before solid-state devices (the iPod, etc.) came along, you could buy a cassette recorder for $30 or $40, if my foggy recollection is right.

So hopefully, a similar microelectronics cost revolution will come to remote mics that work with HA’s. Except for proprietary transmission protocols, there shouldn’t be anything terribly special in the remote microphones that’s not already being employed by folks like Amazon in their much less expensive ambient AI devices (which can be battery-powered, too, - you can buy an attachment on Amazon that will convert your Dot into a portable device that doesn’t require AC and will run for hours).

Bonus wild idea here: One really cool thing about AI assistants is their ability to identify who’s talking. It would be great if someday that technology could migrate to HA’s and you could tell your HA’s or remote mic, “listen to Jenna” and in a restaurant conversation with a bunch of people yakking away around a table, your device would know what Jenna sounds like and use the microphone array to tune in on what Jenna is saying and drop other conversations more out of your hearing. So it’s an interesting idea that the ambient computing AI revolution might actually be a driver in development in HA’s. Devices that are too small for a screen or a keyboard, you can still talk to, either directly or through Alexa, Google Home, or …. So all the billions and billions of dollars to tech research and production going on with ambient AI for picking up and understanding speech, including in noisy environments, may have considerable HA spinoff. Maybe Amazon’s FIRE HA is just around the corner?! <<<just kidding!>>> (my joke is on the Amazon Fire Phone).

That is a very interesting idea!

1 Like

Interesting, yes, and, maybe not so wild.

The iFocus 360 program does track ‘an individual’ as you move around them/they move around you. Difference: It tracks the ‘strongest’ voice, not ‘one of many of equal strength’ you have specified.

[System: Rexton/KS7 hardware, Siemens/Sivantos software]

1 Like

Agree with you 1,000%. I am curious about checking out the Phonak Marvel - and also wonder if that’s all smoke & mirrors when it comes to performance in NOISY places. That is truly my last issue with current aids - all other issues (connectivity, controls) seem to have been addressed to my satisfaction.

2 Likes

I bought my Roger System (2 x receivers and Pen) on eBay for $300. It came with 2017 serial numbers as well.

Does anybody know the price of Roger Select? Thank you very much

I googled and found one orice of $1,350 australian.

1 Like

I’m agree too. It’s a dead end. Bluetooth? Games with microphones arrays and external microphones? Rechargeable batteries? IP ratings? All of this for higher and higher prices? It’s not a “quantum leap” as Oticon Opn or Phonak MFA. EACH new platform MUST be a quantum leap! Maybe hearing aid industry convulses before death. I even know why - because of patent wars, technical and physical limitations, battery drain issues, etc.

Thank you very much for your answer, Russ. I really apreceate it. It’s a very expensive item. Prices in the HA Industry are very high, that way not much people in the whole world wear HA

it will take 5 -7 year to save money for HA only thats hard we cant save for other thing if we are gong to purchase this stuff every 5 years. at least trial should be free until it work for us without upfront payment

2 Likes

Found one in the UK, might work out cheaper. Phonak Roger Select Transmitter - FM Hearing Systems

2 Likes

Thank you very much, Zebras for the info. It’s a little bit cheaper but not to much cheaper. Anyway I think I will try it

Junkyard. I don’t have the Select myself but I’ve heard very good things from people who have tried it. It’s a massive improvement over the Pen.

2 Likes