Completely different prices at different audiologists? Where should I buy from? How much should the Widex Moment 220 cost?

Costco’s 180 day trial return period is second to none. Also the coverage after the fact. For mine I had a one year full loss/damage warranty. I actually lost my aid recently and full coverage, replacement ordered no questions/no drama. Really it is the fitter that makes all the difference (at least with my deplorable hard to fit hearing). :slight_smile:

3 Likes

FYI, I got Costco Jabra Enhanced Pro 8 last year. Supposedly same as the higher end Resound One.
$1900 for a pair (does not accept insurance). Includes:
-free testing
-Uses Real Ear Measurements (REM) method during fitting.
-180 day return policy. (other providers had 45 days)
-3 year warranty (varies with model)
-2 year coverage for a one time loss or damage.
-unlimited number of follow up visits for life of HA (other providers I called only cover the first year then charge per visit after)
-free replacement domes, wax guards
-free cleanings

Coscto carries only 3 or 4 models (supposedly premium features).
My wait times for an appointment have been up to two weeks but they’re open on weekends in my area. I can’t comment on service quality compared to other places as I’ve only used Costco.

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing this information, it’s a fantastic deal all-round I’m yet to see anything like this from any others.

On another note, I’m sure the independent clinics are rubbing their hands together, on the fact that Costco can no longer sell Phonak models anymore!

2 Likes

the 5000 dollar widex aid your dad has been recommended would actually be a lower technology level than the costco devices - Still a good aid, but the Moment 220 is a mid-range product, where as the costco range is all top-tier technology (so equivalent of the moment 440).

2 Likes

Audiology and hearing aid prices are exactly what you say here. They are “billing looney” with prices all over the place. Good audiologists work at all kinds of places. And a $5000 hearing aid is very often the same hearing aid for $1500–look at the website of the manufacturers. Costco is basically a co-op, offering decent prices for excellent products to its members. The names and particularly the model number, of the hearing aids are different from the branded ones, but most of them are the same high priced ones available at the audiologists, who package the hearing aids with their services. (For those who jump in to correct here, I am aware that Costco sometimes has last year’s model. Hearing aids are like cars, selling new bells and whistles which rarely make much difference to the hearing experience.) It’s up to the purchaser to decide if those services are worth the much higher prices. The insurance you mention comes from the manufacturer, not the audiology practice.

Most Costco hearing centers do not employ audiologists, but hearing aid fitters. Many of those fitters are very competent and skilled. That is one reason the prices are cheaper. Hearing aids are expected to last about 5 years or so the expense can be prohibitive for many people.

You have come to the right place here, since there are lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here. We have all been there in this insane marketplace.

I disagree with this. The reason Costco can sell cheaper is because they buy cheaper and overhead is cheaper. Costco buys in such volume that they can negotiate a really low price. Any business has to look at it’s overhead and dollar volume to determine the price of their product. An office with a $300/month rent compared to an office with a $3000/month rent, given the same volume of business, the $3000 rent office needs to charge more it’s products. But there is a fair chance the $3000 office will offer a higher level of expertise and service (although not always, and this is the consumers responsibility to judge who they want to do business with).

1 Like

I gotta think that Costco’s prices from mfrs are close to the prices like what VA or state of Maine pay (links to those are in recent posts.) and a small shop will never get those deals. VA is less than $500 per aid, I think even less than $400 for most. ME pays a bit more. Drive your volume up and you can get lower prices. That would help lower prices a lot if good audiologists could band together to get those prices and deliver good service too at a reasonable price.

WH

We went ahead to the audiologist that lists the HA prices, and of course those weren’t accurate and there’s a gimmick to it… “sure, the Widex HAs are only $2880, but that’s before our $620 fee for the hearing test and fitting!”

On the positive side my dad got to test different brands, they recommended the Oticon More 3 at first but he thought it sounded a little tinny and artificial, so we just went with the Widex. Personally if the appointment was for me, I would have left and gone straight to Costco the minute I saw another hidden fee, I’m over all of this shady used car salesman behavior from audiologists when it comes to pricing. But he wanted to make sure he got a HA that sounds natural, didn’t want to wait much longer, didn’t want to risk going to Costco and getting one that doesn’t sound as good even if it is returnable… so I guess it’s another win and another extra $1000 for the price-hiding audiologist game.

But what really matters is the results, he likes the sound of the Widex and likes the audiologist, so it may be money well spent.

5 Likes

I read here that the VA is only helpful if you have service-related hearing loss, can you confirm that? Of course that is very common among veterans so quite a few of them would qualify for their benefits. My dad is a veteran, but never left the country or had any hearing loss for decades afterward, so I’m under the impression he wouldn’t qualify for any benefits from them.

I suspect Costco’s a better option anyway, unless you have proven hearing loss from your service and the VA is covering most of the cost for you.

Totally not true.

You do need to qualify for VA Health. I do have a service connected hearing loss, but there are a variety of other criteria to qualify. I think the best thing to do would be to talk to a Service Officer whose job it is to help you get into VA care if you’re qualified. My brother has no service connected disabilities, yet gets VA health care. There used to be an income check, and if your income was over a certain amount, you needed to put some money in if you didn’t meet other qualifications. I’ve heard that was removed, and I have heard it is still there. No idea, but the Service Officer will know. Cut through the mythology and get the real deal. They know how to get you hooked up if you can be.

WH

1 Like

best of my knowledge you just have to be a veteran. Hearing aids I think they will give to any older veteran that needs them. They hire dr of audiology and only distribute the top tier hearing aids. Can be difficult to get appointments, they also will give you any supplies you need. My husband gets his there for free. no service connection for hearing . No co pays either. and we are not lower income.

1 Like

Might not be worth bumping the thread for this, but my dad finally got to pick up his hearing aids and we were pleasantly surprised to see the audiologist gave him the newer model, the Widex Moment Sheer 220. I’m not entirely sure if it was intentional, or if all Widex HAs being sold now are the newer Moment Sheer version, but he expected to get the older model of the Moment. According to all online sites with prices, the Moment Sheer costs a few hundred dollars more, but he only paid for the regular version.

He’s really happy with it, it seems to be comfortable, works great, sounds natural, he has only positive things to say about it. Definitely seems to be money well spent, especially to get the newer model like this.

9 Likes

That’s great news, always good to hear a successful first fitting.

3 Likes

If you are in the US would you mind telling us how much was the pair of Widex Moment Sheer 220?

$2900 for the hearing aid, $600 in additional audiologist costs for a total of $3500. I read elsewhere that every pair of Widex Moments sold these days is the Moment Sheer version, the regular 220 isn’t sold anymore (at least according to someone on another forum).

The place a doctor referred us to would have charged $5000, the best-reviewed audiologist in town was $4000.

1 Like

Thanks for the information, I still need to learn what improvements the Sheer version brings.