Comparison of battery life (mAh) in eight different brands of hearing aid batteries

The 13’s should serve you. Some have reported that the 312’s don’t last an extra full day. They need to be recharged nightly compared to replaced weekly or whatever.

I too like Duracell and have gotten good results with them. Although the Costco ones do almost as well. I get about a day extra with the Duracell. That makes the Costco ones a bit more cost effective but I also like the longer pull tabs on the Duracell. The Costco ones are too short for easy use with my hands.

Here are two links to the science project of a 14 year old boy that support waiting 5 minutes after removing the tab on air activated batteries.

The videos are worth watching.

http://legacy.kare11.com/story/news/education/2015/06/09/mn-8th-grader-makes-medical-discovery/28771777/

http://kimt.com/2015/05/05/student-makes-discovery-when-it-comes-to-extending-hearing-aid-battery-life/

RodeoGeorge

Yes, the young man and his study have been debunked here already. Numerous testers here could find no difference.

I’d be more interested if anybody has found that aids were struggling to maintain their longer term performance with the latest mercury free batteries across any battery/hearing aid type.

I have been using Rayovac and since they passed to the MF era they had issues. Voltage was 1,4 now they mention 1,45. DOA and huge fluctuations even a day of life. Now things seem again normal. No problems last 6 months.
I do believe that it would be time to do the test again that was done 6 years ago by the admin. Rayovac, PowerOne are the main competitors out there with icell, Zpower, Duracell
I wish i could do it for all of you i would be willing to do so if i was explained what equipment i need to have to do it.
I am thinking switching to Power one but not sure yet. Now people may use wireless also that do drain the battery faster for sure …that would be an addition to the test !!!

I use duracell. They cost more but batteries are a cheap part of it all. The duracells last a day or two longer for me. They come in a plastic case that is easy to throw in a pocket. They also have longer tabs which are a nice feature.

My audiologist had numerous complaints about Rayovac batteries that he sold a while ago and switched back to Power One. I myself find no difference between them since I get 8 days of power in my HA’s with both brands. One caveat is that when I use accessories such as the Compilot, it tends to cut the time by a few hours.

If your question refers to h.a. performance over the lifespan of the battery, the discharge curve for zinc-air batteries is very flat. That is, their output voltage remains quite constant until they give out completely.

Open-circuit battery output voltage is a function of the chemical reaction that makes them work. So all zinc-air batteries will have the same open-circuit voltage, regardless of manufacturer.

I have been wearing hearing aids for 35+ years and while battery technology from my first aid to now are vastly different when looking at modern batteries, be it 13 or 312 I have found little difference between the high priced models and the cheap Chinese Ebay batteries. My aids are on 16+ hours days and are high powered models. I get a week of life out of most batteries, be it high cost name brand and cheap Chinese batteries.
Failure rates are about the same regardless of who’s name is on the package. For $12-15 I can get 60 batterys to meet my needs for a year.

I think your math is wrong - unless you only have one HA.   If a battery lasts a week - you would need 50-60 for ONE for a year.  Two HA would take twice as many.   I agree - not much diff. between "no-name" and expensive branded - not enuf to make up price  diff.

I only have one HA…

Please feel free to point out the error to my logic here, but has anyone tried using different brands at the same time? I.e. Use Rayovac in one HA and Duracell in the other. That would give a mostly similar side by side comparison. Then take the “winner” of that one and compare it to a different brand.

Of course if you only wear one HA this wouldn’t work :rolleyes:

One hearing aid could be set to a different volume and use more power.

How about switching HA’s each day until one runs out of power?

How are you disposing of dead batteries?

I collect mine (all sizes, not just HA batteries) in a Ziplock bag and recycle them when the baggie is full. The audiologist office, electronics or big box home supply stores, public sanitation or fire departments and some tool suppliers are possible drop off sites for earth-friendly disposal alternatives.

Since many HA batteries have mercury (or had mercury), I saved all the ones I have replaced at home (hundreds) in a small box. 6 years worth. Don’t know what I’ll do with them. We do save the AA, AAA, C and D batteries and drop them off at BB.
Do HA batteries still have mercury? Even off brand ones?

Current hearing aid batteries do not have mercury. They are made from zinc.

Have been using Costco brand batteries. Last ones I bought had 4 dead ones in one pack. Was getting 6 days out of them. Had my free powerone batteries I received for filling out a suvey and got 10 days out of first set. Size 312. # 0f days more helpful than hours

Can you share the link for the power one survey? I too use Costco batteries and have had multiple cases with just dead batteries.

uhear
Jul '14
clifford

Cliff, reading your post got me thinking about altitude. Knowing that the batteries use Oxy to activate and generate electricity?
anyone with this experience at high altitude?

Just checking some batteries and was getting ready to ask a question you just answered. I had some older batteries, was checking the voltage and noticed they were little over 1 volt. Getting ready to toss them and decided to remove the TAB and measure again. The voltage had crept up to 1.5 volts. I barely noticed the VENT holes. So air does the trick.