Comparing natural sound of the Oticon More and the Phonak Paradise

Hi all,

am on my 2nd week trial. 1st week was with the Philips, which I didn’t like and now with Phonak Paradise which sounds much more natural.

I am on the fence in regards to trying out the Oticon More as the rechargeable batteries can be changed in the shop whereas I guess with the Phonak batteries have to be sent back to the manufacturers.

Has anyone tried the sound of the Phonak Paradise and the Oticon More and which of these sound more natural? TIA.

1 Like

I am wearing the Oticon OPNS1 aids that are rechargeable and they sound great to me. As someone that has been wearing hearing aids for over 16 years I have to ask what is natural sound?
I have been wearing Oticon hearing aids for over 11 years. And no other brand of hearing aids sounds as good as Oticon aids to me. It is all about what sounds right to the individual.

5 Likes

@kel19 has the OPN 1 and trialed the Paradise but then went with the Oticon More 1. But he has been wearing the OPN 1 before so he’s probably used to and has a preferred bias on the Oticon sound already. It doesn’t mean that the Paradise sound is not as good.

Like cvkemp said, what do you considered to be “natural” sound? One difference you’ll probably find is that the Paradise may be more aggressive in reducing sounds that are not speech, while the More is aggressive in letting all sounds in. So it’s really a matter of preference whether you want to hear everything or want the sound scene to be more quiet with less “noise”.

5 Likes

Yes to me natural is hearing all sounds in my environment.

1 Like

Thank you all for your input

If you have a chance to try the Oticon More, I say give it a shot. I have try both but since I’m so used to the Opn1, I have to go to the More 1. The Paradise just felt quiet for me not the speech but everything around me. You will be able to tell the difference between the two for sure. At the end of the day at least you try both and you can make a better decision on what you like more. Bluetooth is better on the Paradise but try the phone call see how that works for you too.

4 Likes

I’ve been wearing the Paradise for the last few weeks after having worn Oticon Opn 1 for the last 4 years. I will be starting a trial with the More next week.
I think the Paradise sounds slightly better than the Opn 1. I was actually surprised that the Paradise sounded as natural to me as it did after having worn the Opn 1 for so long.
I am excited to try the More and compare it with the Opn 1 and with the Paradise. Since the More is two generations ahead of the Opn 1 I am expecting significant improvement over the Opn 1. And since the Paradise sounds only slightly better to me than the Opn1 I expect that the More will also sound significantly better than the Paradise. I’ll be sure to post a review when I receive the More.
sindhulim, I would say definitely try the More. What have you got to lose by trying them?

4 Likes

Thanks for your input. Appreciate this very much. It’s just that due to Covid, it’s hard to get an appointment with a different audiologist due to where I live. There’s only two of them. The first one had many brands including the Oticon More (which they didn’t have it for me to try), but not the Phonak as they don’t deal with them. They gave me a Philips to try which I didn’t like. So I gave it back. Had to go to a second audiologist which stock many brands and they had the Paradise, which I am trying them out. Seems it’s more natural compared to the Philips. The only thing as that they don’t have Remote support. I will try and see if they have the Oticon More to try on my next visit this Thursday.

When some people are looking for natural sound, so they can hear the most natural sounds, but I think that in that case you ignore the fact that hearing aids often do not have natural sound, but more unnatural, with the reason to emphasize speech frequencies to make speech better understood. People should test how they understand the speech of others with these hearing aids, because it is not enough to look for natural sounds. Our ear is mostly damaged, some hairs have been destroyed in the cochlea and they make our hearing very difficult to understand, so hearing aids often distort the sound to make speech better understood.

I am currently wearing an older Phonak Naida Q50, the first time I put the hearing aid on my ear, it was like I couldn’t hear anything, it took time to get used to and start recognizing the sounds that were muted. I don’t think that’s a bad thing.

I had situations where in a noisy situation I would not understand others, there were other situations when I wanted to adjust the sound because I was not satisfied with the conditions in which I find myself. The new devices are automated, maybe even better than the old ones, especially the one I currently have but I think most hearing aids are too automated. They can’t always know exactly what I want, that’s why I was most interested in Widex Evoke or Moment because it has the option to create sound through (A - B options) and eventually make your own program. I would like other manufacturers to introduce it as well because no one can always predict what exactly I want. For example if I am in nature and running, it is most normal that I want the most natural sound of nature, the sound of birds etc. because I want to relax, but when I would talk to someone then I would want a program that is adapted for speech.

6 Likes

Hi,
You are correct in all aspects about HAs. Very well said and food for thought. Looks like lots of adjustments from the audiologist to get the sound right for individuals. Many thanks for your input.

2 Likes

I was listening to a podcast with Paradise aids and not comprehending the words very well. I went back to my OPN 1s and could understand a lot more. That’s just my experience and there were two different audiologists programming them. I also love the Oticon ConnectClip and find the Phonak clip on mic loses range waaay too easily on walks with my spouse so I keep hearing an annoying chime instead. I go back to my OPN 1s whenever I need a remote mic.

3 Likes

Did you have real ear measurement with the Phonak aids?

Very surprised by your post. I wear both Oticon NHS and Phonak private aids and there is virtually no difference in my comprehension. If anything the Paradise should be superior to the OPN1 when using bluetooth because they are a couple of generations newer.

1 Like

Hi Sufhl,
thanks for your input. Regards

Hi Glucas,
unfortunately my Audi don’t do REM and also don’t do Remote Support as I live in a small town in Germany. Hopefully my Audi will have the Oticon More for me to try on my next visit this Thursday. Will call him this morning to confirm. Appreciate your input.
Regards

1 Like

Yes I had REM for both. There are a lot of variables. In general, Bluetooth on the Paradise is much more reliable on my computer. It is not as good at a distance, especially when someone’s body gets in between while walking outside single file. I agree others may have a completely different experience.

2 Likes

Also very curious to experiences with the more. Am testing paradises right now. Love the bluetooth, but dislike the sound / amplification. Just can’t get it right. Yes, speech is better, but there is way more then just speech. I feel more handicapped with the paradises than with my old aids in spute of the fancy stuff on them.

1 Like

I believe they can alter the protocol Eric so they sound slightly different… Cheers Kev.

small edit.

1 Like

What hearing aids were you wearing before you tried out the Paradise, @Eric?

phonak Dalia MicroP. Used them for over 5 years

1 Like

So you already own the OPN 1, were given the Phillips to try, and now you’re also trying out the Paradise? Are you planning to also try out the Oticon More?

1 Like