Comfort - Earmolds vs. Domes

After a search, it looks like this might be among the most recent discussion of custom moulds. I thought I’d share my experience. I got my first pair of aids, ReSound Quattros in September of 2018. I struggled with all sorts of comfort issues, primarily that whatever domes and wire length my audiologist tried, they wouldn’t stay put. I was constantly having to push them back into my ears. Sport locks wouldn’t keep them in place. She tried different sized domes, including mismatched between my 2 ears. She tried tulip domes. Nothing worked. After about 3 months, I insisted on custom molds. They are silicone. They didn’t slip. I adjusted to the different way my voice (and other sounds) sounded. They didn’t hurt. But they felt like I had acorns stuck in my ears and every chew, every word, every raise of my eyebrows tugged at my ears. They drove me crazy but I continued to try to adjust to them–for nearly 6 months. My audie said there was nothing else to try.

I found another audiologist and asked him to work with me on the problem. He decided to try new custom moulds. He had me talk while the moulding compound hardened. And he pushed gently on what a google search tells me is called the tragus. (My first audiologist had me sit still and not move while she made my first moulds.)

The resultant moulds are MUCH more comfortable. I can almost forget that I’m wearing hearing aids. They don’t tug at my ears with every movement of my mouth.

The moral…maybe? Hang in there on comfort issues and change audiologists if yours says nothing more can be done.

Oh…I learned from reading the forum of these two different ways to let the moulding compound set. I knew enough, from the forum discussion, to tell the new audie that I’d been told to sit still and not talk. That’s when he said “let’s try an ‘open’ mould then.” Second moral? This site has been incredibly useful to me. Thank you to everyone who participates so generously.

1 Like

I just had impressions taken for molds at Costco. The fitter did not have any specific position to hold, such as mouth open while the compound set up. I have read that opinions vary. Some say it doesn’t matter, and others actually prop your mouth open while it sets up. I got the talking to the fitter version. The good news is that she claims they will make as many molds as necessary to get a good fit at no extra charge.

1 Like

I wear ITE hearing aids and I have always moved my mouth around like I was chewing gum, and my aids have always fit great.

1 Like

Hi all

I have found that DIY mold very interresting. So i used the provided link from Pilot85 to get there. Actually the Web page dues not give me any contact information .
The thing is — that i found no mail adresss whatever and the information about international shipping . I would very much like to buy the kit but the possibilities of the very unproffessional website make that impossible.
Any hints how to contact the seller. Or are somewhere else existing similar kind of products available?
regards
Ulf

@pilot85 Very nice write-up!

I have made several copies of trialed custom molds with 2-component silicone and epoxy-resin and made one custom mold directly with the silicone, which I have been wearing since Monday.

When I discussed making longer molds to reduce the volume between the mold and the ear-drum, my audiologist did emphasize that I should get another Real Ear Measurement. (As they are strongly volume dependent.) How did you tackle that? Did you find additional tweaks to finefittting necessary or did you have a REM?

I find the silicone can be easily vented using a rotary tool such as a Dremel. I got the drills varying from 0.3-1.3mm from AliExpress. Haven’t found a good way to shape the bottom yet, though. Used a scalpel, will try the file.

I got lucky with the tube this time. I placed it at the center of the wad of silicone and it remained there while working it into my canal. How do you handle the tube position?

While working it into my canal I felt a certain limit after which I couldn’t push it further in. I assumed it was the air between my ear drum and the silicone. How do you handle this when you make a longer mold?

EDIT: Can’t seem to find the post this relates to. @pilot85 Did you remove/edit your post?