Cochlear Kanso 2 or N7? Please help!

Hello Everyone. Recently, I got my CI evaluation done and qualify for CI in my both ears. I am planning to go ahead with CI surgery on my right ear first and hopefully the left one in a year or so. Due to my residual hearing in low tones, the surgeon and audiologist recommends Nucleus 7 sound processor (N7) for me. The audiologist told me that I am a hybrid candidate and I should take advantage of amplifying my residual hearing through the acoustic component that goes in the ear and connects to Nucleus 7 whereas the Kanso 2 is off the ear and does not have the ability to connect to the acoustic component. But I am more inclined towards the Kanso 2 as I like the design and it’s not on your ears like hearing aids (tired of it). I have been wearing hearing aids for many years and tried many brands, none helped they just amplified the volume of what I hear…same mumbling sounds but louder with hearing aids.

Since I wanted a second opinion on my CI eligibility so I am dealing with two surgeons in the Chicagoland. I have yet to pick one for my CI surgery, both are great doctors. But the confusing part is that one surgeon is suggesting CI 632 Electrode and other one CI 622 Electrode. I don’t know if there is a difference between these two. Secondly both surgeon and their Audiologists recommends N7 due to my residual hearing in low tones. I told them I would rather go with Kanso 2. They told me to order one each (N7 and Kanso) and try out for 90 days because it is exchangeable. But I told them that I have made up mind that I would rather go with the kanso 2. So they says that’s fine, the only difference will be that I won’t be able hear the natural enhanced sound of my residual hearing through N7 provided I don’t lose my residual hearing down the road after the surgery.

So I am ready to dive in for CI surgery on my right ear but am stuck with different electrodes and Kanso 2/N7 decision. Has anyone gone through this dilemma? I mean if N7 was a better option but you opted for Kanso 2 and how is your experience so far? What about the difference in electrodes, Is it a big deal? Thanks in advance for your advice/recommendation/feedback.

Neither of these implants are hybrid. Not sure why your doctor mentioned saving your residual hearing with a hybrid processor.
Sharing your audiogram would help us help you.

We need to see your audiogram.

You are asking good questions. There are members here who can help you.
Have you contacted Cochlear? They have representatives who can help you with all this too. They have been great with me.

I have attached my audiogram with the post. Not sure why its not publicly visible, I can see it in my profile. Let me check. Thx

Word Score: 40 % Left
31% Right

1 Like

Got the audiogram, thanks.
Not an expert. Rule of thumb you will lose about 20-30 dB hearing with an implant. So, you can figure where you are with that. I can see you getting a hybrid but it depends on your hearing loss history. @Deaf_piper tried the hybrid, she can help you with that.

I can vouch I am deaf after the implants without the processors. Look at my audiogram to help you understand.

1 Like

@Behra2 C622 is what they use for a hybrid EAS attachment I have the C522. Here in Australia the actual hybrid electrode the CL24 has been removed from the market… As surgeons were finding that to many recipients of the short array were having to have a revision removing the short array replacing it with a standard length array.

If your surgeon does manage to save your residual at time of your implant operation, but he won’t guarantee it. No surgeon will guarantee the longevity of your residual though. Mine didn’t last very long at all. Raudrive is correct when he says you could loose 20-30% of your residual at the time of operation. If that’s the case then your having a EAS might not be of any advantage to you.

I wore the EAS attachment for approx 15 months then I lost some of my residual hearing. Making wearing the EAS a pain in the ass, it was creating problems. I’m now 20 months post implant and I’ve gone fully electric. I don’t miss the EAS or regret going to fully electric either. I can still have a little natural hearing from my implanted ear, but I struggle to converse without my processor.

If you want the K2 you won’t be able to have an EAS attached to that devise at all. EAS can only be fitted to the N7 at the ear hook. I’m assuming that’s why the surgeons differ with the array choices. Is one array better for the hybrid attachment and the other C632 is better for the K2 processor? This is possibly what you need to clarify with your surgeon/audiologist.

Whatever way you decide to go, either K2 or N7 make sure they use a standard length array and not the short array. Unless you want to have to have a revision when your residual decreases.

Good luck with your new journey :four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

Thank you Raudrive. I notice your audiogram is similar to mine and you opted to go with K2, correct?

Thanks for clarifying. According to my audiologist, the CI 632 is the latest version of the electrode and is much thinner and modular whereas CI622 is thinner and straight…maybe thats what I need for K2 processor (I will ask). If I am going to lose 20-30% of my residual hearing why bother with having N7 processor which I would like to avoid anyway.

So, even with K2, is it possible to hear the residual hearing (if still available) combined with electrical sounds that you get from K2 because ear is open (no tube) or the residual hearing will be completely blocked due to electrode on the cochlea?

The N7 and the K2 do the same thing. Keep it simple. One is on the ear and the other is off the ear. The hybrid idea does need to be on the ear for obvious reasons.

I have the CI612 implants. My surgeon likes them, not sure why.

I wear the N7 processors at this time because the K2 processors with the strongest magnets (5) will not hold good enough to my CI612 implants. I have big hopes in time the swelling will go down enough to wear the K2 processors. At this time I have two sets of processors, K2 and N7.

Thanks for letting me know about the magnet intensity with the implants. I will need to clarify with my surgeons about this. Since you have both processors, it will be interesting to find out which one has more clarity once you start wearing K2. I certainly hope that K2 works for you once your swelling is subsided.

I will say this again.
There is no difference between the N7 and the K2. Both perform the same.
I have worn both.

Received my implant in 2015 and went with the Kanso which had just joined the processor arena. I was having issues with magnet and also got the N6 processor. As the swelling went down went to a #6 magnet and have worn my Kanso as the primary processor using the N6 processor in the mornings, etc. I also have a Resound Linx3D-7 RIE Digital hearing aid in the left ear. This works well as it can be used with the Kanso to stream from TV and also bluetooth for telephone. The Resound HA works very well with the inplant for being able to have sound going to both ears. I am coming up where I can possibly go to the K2 so am interested in how this works as far as being rechargable. How long does it go before it needs to be recharged. Thought I would share my journey so far…

1 Like

@debbie_o has the K2 processor. She has said the Kanso 2 gets 18 hours for her.

Anyone here implanted with CI 622 and has K2 processor? I would like to find out how is the magnet holding up with the K2 processor? I asked my surgeon about it and he told me few of his patients implanted with CI622 complained about processor falling off their head. Is there an implant which works well with K2 and has stronger magnet? I wonder if the magnet remain stronger over the years or wear off with time for any implant.

1 Like

@Behra2 it’s not the 622 electrode that’s the problem. It’s the actual magnet in the 6 series that’s creating problems with the K2. It simply isn’t strong enough to hold the K2 processor. The same thing will apply to the 632.

The CI622 is part of the 600 series implants, CI612, CI 622 and CI 632.
The are a new implant that is MRI compatible without removing the implants magnet before a MRI. Doing this the 600 series implants have weaker magnets. This is a challenge for some getting the Kanso 2 processors to hold well to these 600 series implants. Usually the Kanso 2 will hold to the 600 series implants with a magnet that is one size stronger than what the Nucleus 7 processor holds well with on the 600 series implants.

To confuse this some people have the older 500 series implants or even older implants that use different stronger magnets than the 600 series implants. These earlier implants before the 600 series implants usually do not have issues with the Kanso 2 processors holding. The stronger magnets in these older implants are why you can not have MRI’s with them.

The solution is to provide magnets No# 6 with stronger widths for the C6 .

Do you have a video of how to remove the magnets before MRI … and then return it to its place?

I don’t think there will be any videos because you have to cut into the side of your head to remove the magnet.

It’ll only be, I guess, a surgeon or a doctor, maybe?

3 Likes

@Toti to have the magnet removed for a MRI it’s a surgical procedure. Generally under twilight anesthetic. You would need to go back to your CI ENT surgeon. It also takes 2-3 weeks before you can have your magnet re implanted. So for this period of time you can’t use your processor. Therefore most of us can’t hear without our processor for that period of time either.

Good Luck with activation tomorrow :four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes

Sounds like I should wait until I get the assurance from Cochlear regarding magnet strength (#6?) that will hold the K2 for 6 series implants. I am wondering if there is an option not to go with the MRI compatible implants. What about those who has 500 series implanted and needed to get the MRI scan done due to any health issues?