Cochlear implants and Pneumonia vaccines

Just learned something I didn’t know before while browsing info on Pneumonia vaccines. Typically the vaccines are recommend for those 65 and older. However, for those with Cochlear Implants (and multiple other “conditions,” they are recommended at whatever age you get the cochlear implant and revaccination is recommended. Hopefully doctors are good at letting patients know this. Something good to discuss with your physician if they don’t bring it up.

2 Likes

Yep. I was sore for a good week. I will probably get the second, PCV13, in a year. In the ideal case you’re supposed to have PCV13 and then after at least eight weeks PPSV23. My surgeon only wrote me for PPSV23 (“pneumovax”) so that’s all I got. If you get them out of order like I did, you have to wait longer, as they interact differently than if you get them in the recommended order (this is all info buried in the CDC website). The reason is that these are the same family of virii that cause meningitis, which a CI recipient is more at risk of (as there is now a literal conduit between one’s respiratory system and nerves connecting into the brain via the middle ear and then the electrode).

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/mening/public/dis-cochlear-faq-gen.html

1 Like

Yes I was told the same thing as @phobos512. I was supposed to have my cochlear surgery on 3/12, but my diabetes wasn’t cooperating and I spike too high for the operation. My surgery was rescheduled to 5/22, however just after my original scheduled date, all heck broke out with COVID-19. My May date was cancelled. The nurse asked if I wanted June, I said worried about that being cancelled. She then gave me 7/9 or 7/23. I chose 7/23. Called nurse and so far my surgeon is again back to performing the procedure.

I had 2 pneumonia injections in the last 10 years so I was told I wouldn’t need another until I was 65. If you have a good surgeon, he/she will advise you to get the shot, unless, like me, you’ve had the vaccine in thenot too distant past.

1 Like

I was not only told that I needed the shot, but they wouldn’t schedule the surgery until I had it.

2 Likes

Well you lot are lucky! I had to have 2 meningococcal vaccinations and a pneumavax. I was sore for a couple of weeks after the 2nd meningococcal vaccination.

The meningococcal vaccine needs to be repeated every 5 yrs with a booster. As does the pneumococcal vaccination.

Needing the shots is one thing. What does needing the shots after a cochlear implant have to do with anything

Do CI patients take immunosuppressants or anything like that?

Having a cochlear implant increases risk for meningitis.

1 Like

No, there are no medications. They’re made with biocompatible materials. Immunosuppressants are for things like transplants.

@grantb5 I’m on immunosuppressants and have a CI. The medication doesn’t effect the CI at all. Some ENT’s put you on prednisone immediately post op. Generally a short course and Reducing sliding scale, this is to help reduce inflammation quickly. Some ENT’s believe the prednisone helps preserve your residual hearing.

1 Like