Cochlear implants and bluetooth

I volunteer at a senior center helping seniors with technology. I am doing a home visit today with a senior with a cochlear implant and so I checked out a few pages on these implants to see what I would be facing.
While doing so, I ran across several ads for devices which could turn these implants into a bluetooth receiver.
Before I send this senior on a useless hunt, has anyone on the list had experiences using these devices or know anyone who has?
Many thanks.

I have no experience but I’m pretty sure SOME cochlear implants are able to use proprietary low energy bluetooth. A couple of ways to proceed. 1) Contact senior’s audiologist and ask about possible bluetooth capabilities or 2) Try to get as much info as you can on the kind of Cochlear implant and post back on the forum and we ought to be able to provide more information. Also, it would help if we knew what you were hoping to accomplish. I’m pretty confident cochlear implants have telecoils and would think it would be possible to stream to the telecoil via an ancillary neck worn device.

1 Like

Visited the senior in question and seems he is indeed up on all the cochlear-associated technology, but many thanks for your reply.

1 Like