Closest restoration to "normal hearing" - How to judge? Especially related to acoustic music instruments

In reference to your question as to why there’s no way just to send the sound direct to the brain; the top 40dB or so of your hearing occurs as the basilar membrane’s response is ‘tuned’ to the incoming signal. This means that your brain actively tunes (through afferent/efferent) nerve action the receiving surface of your ‘microphone’/cochlear many thousands of times a second.

This means that if you wanted to add a real microphone to the system, you’d have to cut into the cochlear nerve and match the reference afferent incoming signal across thousands of fibres, process for relevance and then let the brain respond with efferent tuning of your mic to raise the response of the mic level at a particular pitch while simultaneously re-sending the resultant signal back to the brain.

It’s possible (at the electronic level), but I’d like to see you do it real time, with negligible power, in a body concealable device. As for hacking into the cochlear nerve and connecting to it in a meaningful way without destroying the surrounding pathology, I’m not sure that would ever be feasible.

I’d say you’r a bit further out of your depth than you realise here.

Asking in the abstract… Thanks for pointing out how much I don’t know. Seriously.

It was just a conceptual idea and now I know why it hasn’t been done.

Regarding analog aids. You can set modern digital aids up to emulate old style analog quite easily, it’s just a question of if the particular aid you have will allow you to turn off all the features and compression, I have some
5 year old Phonak aids and the software allows this. This kind of setup might also get you the kind of sound you’re trying to acheive.

This is what I’m working on with the tech now.

However, why should we have to pay for all the bells and whistles of digital and then turn them off to make the things work for our purpose?

The channels for music work fine for normal speech so why do I need the “normal” channel which keeps a running game going with incoming sound instead of just reproducing what it is?

Programmable analog aids seem to be what I want, but no one seems to make them.

I tried the Lloyds analog aids, but they are not really programmable and didn’t work well for me so I returned them.

I like all the program 1 processing. It helps me understand more speech, especially in harder environments.

The sound of the music program is more comfortable and familiar, but I’m not really after comfort. I’m after speech recognition, but, it can’t be too uncomfortable.

lloydhearigaid.com sells analog and can make used and new ones available from a lab they deal with.

Lloyds didn’t work for me.

Yes Daymon was on an advert for Halo.

I do the same when playing my keyboards through my headphones(no hearing aids), but it still sounds so different when playing through the speakers with my hearing aids on. I have all the highs up & the bass down low with phones. Still trying to find the right mix with the speakers. I can’t really hear the backing tracks like I can with the phones