Closed Caption/Open Caption Movies

Strange here too, I thought it was the same price regardless.
So I just checked online one of our local cinemas, Cineworld, selected a 2D movie and it’s standard price is £11.90 no matter what time you want to watch, be it afternoon, early or late evening. As I’ve said before, I very rarely go to the cinema anymore but having looked online, it doesn’t seem it’s changed around here. Maybe the cinemas in Weston-Super-Mud where Dave lives are different.

Open subtitles IS appreciating a film in it’s original form IMO. No different to watching a film on TV with subtitles.

3 Likes

I don’t go to the movies. They run the volumes at ear damaging levels. Even ‘quiet’ dramas can run at 100 dba and action movies can easily get to 120 dba.

I need to preserve as much of my limited hearing as I can. Nothing over 85dba get to my ears if I can help it.

Bob

I used to go see the movies many years ago. After a new movie is released, l wait about 6 months or longer when the movie is on dvds. I will wait until l get the new aids that should be better at reducing very loud sounds played in movie theatres.

From an article in the Oct. 26 NY TImes on the history of PBS TV, a short history of captions: ## '45. An accessibility breakthrough.–
'“The French Chef” not only revolutionized cooking shows, it also made history on a more technical front when, in 1972, it became the first television show to feature open captioning — captions that are always onscreen — making it accessible to deaf and hard-of-hearing viewers. The following year, as ABC began rebroadcasting its national news program on PBS just five hours after it originally aired, it became the first timely and accessible news program. As smaller tests of the closed captioning system (which allows viewers to toggle captions on or off) proved successful, PBS engineers worked to create caption editing consoles, encoding equipment and prototype decoder boxes. And on a Sunday evening in March 1980, closed captioning went mainstream. Deaf and hard-of-hearing viewers got their chance to enjoy some of the most popular programming on television, getting to choose among “The ABC Sunday Night Movie,” “Disney’s Wonderful World” on NBC and “Masterpiece Theater.” Julia Carmel.

I am an avid & obsessive movie watcher. But, now have a dedicated movie room, a big-big screen monitor, high-speed streaming, subscriptions to all the movie channels, subtitles & TV connector, and a great chair. So, I am all set. I do sometimes miss the action of opening-night with the crowds and sounds and smells but Covid-19 has ended all that for now - maybe forever.

2 Likes

CaptionFish seems like a great idea. Has the service died? I’ve never been able to access the website.

I’ve been searching the internet to find any open caption movies within 100 miles of eastern Kentucky and have been unsuccessful…

I cannot believe it hasn’t caught on.

Sign it please.

I cannot access the page now either. I guess the site is gone.

When I went to see A Quiet Place II recently, the cup holder caption was a new version.

Pros: The new one has a cup holder in it so you don’t lose that feature when you need the captions. The cup holder twists to grips tight and it stays more secure on the holder without flopping about.

Cons: The caption screen is slight taller and more narrow and the stick has a ridge section towards the base end. This makes the whole thing less flexible and blocks the movie screen more. In the previous version, I could position the viewer at the bottom edge of the screen so I could easily look normally at the movie and catch the captions in my periphery. The new one I found had to move it off to the side and needed to look around it to have a good view of the screen.

Supposedly the new CODA movie has an open-caption only mandate. Unfortunately not as many places are showing it because if that. It was a good real effort to make open captions more at the forefront.

Finding a theatre that offers open captions regularly is rare. Those that do are often at inconvenient times for most people. If there is a large Deaf community in the area, I have seen some successful efforts at petitioning a specific theatre to offer a weekly showing with open captions during a prime time spot. Oddly many people are turned off by open captions and won’t go if they are turned on. I can understand that a business needs to be sure there will be good revenues for those showings in order to make it affordable.