Clinical Evaluation of a PSAP vs a Basic Hearing Aid and a Premium Hearing Aid

0 Likes

Their conclusions were not surprising.

“The results indicate that basic and premium HAs were not superior to the PSAP in patients with mild to moderate hearing impairment, which suggests that PSAPs might be used as an alternative to HAs in these patient populations. However, if hearing loss is more severe, then HAs, especially premium HAs, should be considered as an option to manage hearing loss.”

2 Likes

Does this mean hearing aid industry is mostly a scam? PSAPs are super cheap

0 Likes

No it doesn’t, it is say if you have a hearing loss that is mild or moderate then you don’t really need hearing aids. I never got hearing aids until I was almost severe level of hearing loss. But I did use headphones for phone calls, and TV.

0 Likes

“don’t really need hearing aids” is a judgment. That’s not what the quote from Sierra is saying either.
I have not-terrible hearing but I sure do get help from HA’s. Sure perhaps I could have saved a few bucks using PSAP’s instead but I wanted the real thing. I’ve always said that I just need a little boost to hear better. PSAP’s probably could have done that fine.

0 Likes

My issue was I couldn’t afford the cost of the hearing aids or thought I couldn’t. It wasn’t until I got a job that had me on the phone all th time I came to realize how bad my hearing really was.

0 Likes

For many with not so bad hearing, aids are very optional. What’s important to one person may not be to another. The ability to hear music, hear birds or a mouse fart may not be important to some. These PSAP devices would be great for those with less hearing loss. But for those with more hearing loss it’s a different story all together. You see the difference of importance all the time with members of this forum. Pretty good reading usually.

1 Like

I never knew what I was missing until I got a great pair of hearing aids. And it really took my almost 15 years of wearing hearing aids to get to that point.

1 Like

I just can’t believe after finding out PSAPs can cost as little as $19… compared to sophisticated hearing aids for mild-moderate loss of $1800. That’s a night and day difference… and they tried to push me 10-band hearing aid when my hearing loss is very linear… and pushed $4000 hearing aid for my better ear…

0 Likes

The over the counter aids don’t work for severe or greater hearing loss, much less the type of hearing loss that I started out with. My Audis have always had issues fitting my aids to my hearing loss.

0 Likes

I don’t have the full text of the study by my assumption is that all the devices were fit using real ear verification to ensure the best possible amplification was provided with each device. That is typically how these studies work. When you buy a psap over the counter, this step would be missed, so you probably would not get the same benefit as a clinically fitted hearing aid… The cost of a hearing aid is more the clinical cost than the device cost… And that’s where most of the benefit comes from.

2 Likes

I agree. You may very well do perfectly fine with PSAP’s. You haven’t entered your audiogram here so we don’t know what you have.
I chose HA’s. I chose the Costco house brand (KS7’s) for price. $1000CDN each at the time. Crapload o’ money for not-terrible hearing. But they do the job…as they should for that money.
Another member here likes his Sound World Solutions PSAP’s.

0 Likes

ABout 5 years ago, my hearing loss was mild to moderate, in my untested then opinion, and I bought 1 and later a second Siemans Lotus 12P “PSAP” (off eBay). I thought they helped, but were kind of bulky. After family nagging … I was fitted for Costco KS7’s for their then trial period. During that period, I occassionally swtched back and forth between the KS7’s and the P12’s. I felt the 12P’s helped me a fair amount, but certainly lacked the KS7 features and small size. I returned the KS7’s. Roll forward about a year and after family nagging, I committed to another hearing test and was fitted with the new KS8’s (this was about 18 months ago). I wear the KS8’s nearly all the time, but feel the added benfits over the Sieman’s 12P’s while significant, is not a night and day improvement over the 12P’s. Based on my personal, subjective test, I suspect that as others have said … for mild and typical hearing loss (not the losses that are out-of-the-ordinary when you look at their audiogram) … psap’s can help and, maybe more importantly, can demostrate to a person that yes PSAP’s can help but they may benefit from a formal hearing exam and test fitting to see how much more sophisticated aids may benefit them. Just my 2 cents worth!

2 Likes

Two things, one is that the hardware that goes into your ear on the PSAPS, I find very uncomfortable. I can wear open domes, or ear moulds ok. I don’t use earbuds for the same reason. Headphones only for me. Two, if you are willing to go to the trouble to find the equipment and software to do your own programming, you can get used high quality aids off eBay pretty cheap. I have been professionally fitted with aids two times and neither time helped me hear better. People who wear aids say you get used to them in time. I have gotten used to poor hearing. I have three sets of aids and rarely wear any of them. And you can tell by my audiogram that my hearing isn’t all that good.

0 Likes

Did you have real ear measurements performed? If so, can you send me the results? My guess is neither professional fitting was any good.

0 Likes

cvkemp, what aids are you wearing now?

0 Likes

Oticon OPNs ITE half shell, I am fortunate to get them from the VA.

0 Likes

The first professional fitting was about 4 years ago. I have no data from that. I wore a pair of Unitrons for about 6 weeks and gave them back because they didn’t improve speech recognition. The other was at the VA back in April. They did REM, but I don’t think that improved things at all. The VA Audiologist ignored my telling her that I was very sensitive to loud sounds. Set set the aids up for full prescriptive gain and they were so loud as to be painful. She had the MPO set to 122 dB. I turned the MPO down to about 93 dB, loud, but not painful. I enabled frequency lowering but it doesn’t seem to actually do anything. The best results I have had were with a pair of Phonak Audeo B50’s I bought used off eBay. I am using sound Recover 2, and though when I test and I can hear higher frequencies, speech recognition in real world circumstances is no better than without aids. I do wear them from time to time, but they sound very un natural to me. Besides the effects of the SR2. I just don’t like the way the world sounds through hearing aids. Everyone always says that I will get used to it, but I don’t think so.

0 Likes