CI recipients, how are you all going?

Hi @Deaf_piper

i’m very back again to the liveing after lost my hearing on 2020 and my surgery on 2021 .i try many experience with my cochlear at my work, entertainment, travel by car , airport , ship . i think i try everything and i knew how to deal the program in my application KANSO2 . also im still have one side and other side i use HA and i feel i didnt need surgery again now maybe in future. and i have news the Acclaim® Cochlear Implant is coming soon . i hope im first try it .

thank for asking and i realy miss for all .

2 Likes

It’s good to hear from you Toti. I’m glad your hearing with K2 is doing very well. I’m not rushing into going bilateral either. I’m happy being bimodal for the time being…

The Acclaim looks interesting for sure. I had not heard of this before. Has it been approved?

Joan not as yet. It’s just starting approved clinical trials.

Im at 11 months post activation. I have rehabbed with apps and lots of streaming, not much with people. I have retained some residual in ci ear, other ear has about 50 percent. Im still liking the eas and music is definately improving

1 Like

It is great to see so many people benefitting from their implant. Quiet environments have seen a dramatic change. Which I am thankful for.
Unfortunately, in March of this year, I developed a severe infection in the left mastoid. This forced the removal of the implant on that side. The Drs are unsure as to what caused the infection, but the implant is a weakness in the body, which allowed the infection to grow rapidly. Along with the removal of the implant, I went thru 6 weeks of heavy antibiotic injections, three times a day. I am now taking a low-grade antibiotic every day for the next 2-3 years.
Thankfully, the infectious disease doctors have approved for the implant to be replaced. I went thru that surgery last week. During the surgery, the surgeon needed to remove my middle ear and seal off the ear canal because my ear drum was retracted. He was afraid the ear drum may come in contact with the electrode, which would cause additional problems. I knew going into the surgery that he may have to perform the additional steps.
So far, this has been most painful process of my 3 implantations. But looking forward to be able to hear out of that ear again.

5 Likes

@eniveparg All the best. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@eniveparg you have had a very rough journey to say the least. I’m happy to hear that you are winning this battle over the infection… I hope your activation day comes quickly for you and you’re able to hear again… Good luck to you…:four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

@bcarp im just wondering if you find the music scan useful please?

I had it downloaded yesterday, I’m yet to find it helpful though. Far to much static as it stands. I’ve yet to fiddle with my settings though, to see if I can improve on the sound.

@Deaf_piper I find my music program useful in certain situations only, definitely not in the car. My so-called music program is actually similar to my Scan program, but with the noise and wind cancellations turned off. I’m sure it’s a customised program which we’ve chosen to call “music” rather than a pre-made music program. The reason I requested it was because I found the Scan program was cutting off low volume sounds, as it is supposed to, thinking that they are background unwanted noises. However, when listening to classical live music, those quiet passages of music are the music; they aren’t just background noise. So, we didn’t want those passages of music suppressed by the processor. The downside of this program is that true noise isn’t suppressed at all, so using this in anything other than a quiet concert hall or chamber room is impossible.

3 Likes

Reading your post is an eye opener.
Did the doctors figure out what caused the infection?

Glad you were able to get your CI implant installed so you could hear again.

Good luck with your infection.

1 Like

I too am finding I do not like the SCAN programs as well. Too much noise reduction affects the sounds I want and need to hear.

Trying to remember when my next audiologist appointment is, thinking it’s pretty soon. Putting a list together of programming things I would like to try. Some things are so difficult to describe.

They dont know what caused the infection. I didn’t have any cuts. I also did not get water in the ear, which may have caused an ear infection that spread.
One day I started having pain behind the ear. The next day, my outer ear swelled. That was when I was advised to go to the emergency room. Within 12 hours, the side of my head swelled.

1 Like

Have they given you the ability to adjust the microphone sensitivity? This adjustment with cafe mode has worked the best for me in noisy environments. Its still hard to hear but does reduce other sounds at a greater distance, giving me the chance to understand speech from family or friends.

1 Like

Not sure where this question was directed, but it might have been to the statements of Music program. Adjusting the microphone to have higher sensitivity can help with hearing quieter passages of music (instead of suppressing them). However, it was easier just to make a new program for it.

(As far as I can tell, microphone sensitivity is similar to a gate threshold in audio mixing.)

You have described the Sensitivity setting as I see it too.
It is like drawing a circle around you. More sensitivity enlarges the circle while decreasing the sensitivity setting makes the circle smaller.

1 Like

i’m doing very well. @Deaf_piper I am one of those high performer, Scoring 96% on 4 people test in and 70% in noise when SNR +10 db is added, bimodal setup with oticon dynamo… I’m getting the resound omnia because resound quattro microphone is broken and is out of warranty, I ordered the new aids last week when it came out. i had the appointment a day later when they announce it…

I am also planning on getting the Nucleus 8 sound processor as well because bluetooth 5.2 and i’m buying next gen devices to take advantage of it and resound omnia is the second gen device with a bluetooth 5.2 compliance chip and can confirm that bluetooth LE Audio is coming to N8

From the N8 upgrade video leaked on the internet

3 Likes

Device(s) used for Testing:
Right ear: N7
Left ear: Oticon BTE

Soundfield Aided Thresholds: Aided thresholds in borderline normal/mild hearing loss range
Unaided Thresholds: Moderate sloping to profound sensorineural hearing loss in the left ear. Stable. Did not test right ear due to documented complete loss.

Tympanograms: Restricted right, normal left.

CNC Words Test:
The patient repeats 25 single syllable words, auditory only. The words are presented at 60 dB SPL (conversational level) delivered from a CD player.

3 years Post-Activation of CI: (today)
Right: words: 72%, phonemes: 85%

AzBio Sentences Test:
The patient repeats 20 sentences, auditory only. The sentences are presented at 60 dB SPL (conversational level) delivered from a CD player.

2 years Post-Activation of CI: (8/5/21)
Right: 84%

3 years Post-Activation of CI: (today)
Right: 80%
Bimodal: 96%, +10 dB SNR: 63%

1 Like

@ssa with the Bluetooth LE in the the N8 will that mean I will have to get a new aid as well? I’m overdue for an upgrade of my N7, I will be getting the N8 when it arrives downunder. I currently have a Resound Enzo 3D, one of the older Resound aids, and it’s working beautifully.

no your devices would still work but it won’t work with the newer devices that just have BTLEA…

1 Like