Choosing shape and material of earmolds

Hi everyone!

I wanted to see how people chose their earmolds specifically shape/material. Were you given a choice? Was it recommended, if so why? I am contemplating myself what would be better.

Thanks! looking forward to hear your thoughts

I wear a full shell ear mould without a vent in my left ear.

I’ve just gone from wearing a soft ear mould to a hard ear mould by choice.

I’m a DIYer so I made the choice myself rather then my audiologist.

Nice! What do you mean by DIYer? Do you program them yourself?

You have a similar loss to mine in the left ear. My Audi put me in an open fitting, I’m beginning to think I need a closed fitting to hear better. Would you mind letting me know why you chose a closed fitting? Nice molds btw!

Yes I program my aids myself.

I’m surprised your audi put you in a open fitting if you have a similar loss to my left ear.

My software (Phonak) recommends a power dome or an ear mould for my left ear.

What hearing aids do you wear?

I have signia pure 7px it’s two generations old. I got fitted in Italy and their audiology is not the best here. Yeah I have trouble understanding still so I’m going back ASAP. Hopefully next week

I have full shell ear moulds. Full shell because of the high power of my HAs. Oticon Xceed S1 UP.

I don’t understand though what you mean by “the shape”?

I’m getting in July a discreet in the canal mould hypoallergenic mould

By shape I mean full or just a canal or skeleton, that kind of thing.

LRav, what made you choose the canal type (other than it’s discreet)?

Also, I want to know do audiologists choose based on their preference or on what the client wishes? I’m trying to figure out if there is a certain type/material/shape that is preferred for different kinds of hearing loss.

It’s what the audiologist recommended for me because i have quite low ears and like to keep them covered by my hair so she thought i might like a discreet style mould

1 Like

My understanding of domes and molds is based on a person’s hearing loss.
Pending on if the loss is low frequency or high frequency has to be considered.
Then the worse a person’s hearing loss is the more gain that is needed to compensate for that loss. As more gain is put into the ear the more likely that sound will leak out and cause feedback. So as feedback comes into the picture you will need more occlusive domes/molds to hold the sound in and not cause feedback.

I don’t know if this will help you but good info here.

http://www.otohearing.com/images/downloads/BTE_Mold_Guide.pdf

https://www.westone.com/store/hearing_health_care/conventional-earpieces

7 Likes

Thank you this is interesting and very helpful for me

Ah, I see. I have full shell moulds because I have UP aids.

1 Like

When I got my first HA about 7-8 years ago, they took a Wax? mold of each ear and from that had molds made to fit each ear when I picked up the HA. Same w. my present 2 y.o. HA.
It was a few years before I realized that many (most?) users by off-the-shelf molds (called Domes?). Never could figure out why people spend $1500-$4K for HA and not spend $50-$100 for the custom fit. Since no 2 ear canals can be the same, how can you properly fit the HA?

1 Like

Really interesting article. I found the Libby Horn (essentially a flare in the end of the tubing before going into the custom mold) very interesting. It can increase gain in the high frequencies.

1 Like

Fantastic educational article about earmoulds! Thank you!

Reply to MikeT

Domes are only suitable for low/moderate hearing loss. If you are in that category, domes are physically more comfortable and have an open more natural sound because part of the sound is going directly to your ears through the gap between the dome and your canal. Because there is no sealing they are more prone to feedback so not suitable for higher loss.