Choosing between ReSound ONE, Phonak Paradise, and Oticon Opn S

Hi. I need new aids but I am stuck between choosing one of the following 3 hearing aids:

ReSound ONE
Phonak Audeo Paradise
Oticon OPN S

Has anyone here tried at least 2 of these and can share your experience of which one of these is the better aid of the 3? Thank you for sharing

1 Like

I finished an OPN S trial last week and just started trialing ONE. I’ll trial Paradise next. So far my best experience sound wise has been OPN S but ONE physically fits on my ear better and the sound is comparable. Being that I’m not quite through a week with the ONE’s, I’m letting my brain adjust and may ask for programming adjustments before determining which is better. It’s worth noting that the in-ear fit is different with ReSound ONE because the part one puts in their ear is slightly bigger. So, another adjustment apart from sound is soreness in my canal that I’m not sure will be something that gets more tolerable. I trialed the Marvels before Oticon OPN S and for my hearing loss that was the least effective pair. I’m willing to give Paradise a try but I anticipate that being a short trial if it sounds similar to the Marvel. I think my final decision will be between Oticon OPN S and ReSound. I prefer the ReSound app, on-ear fit, and charging case. I slightly prefer the Oticon OPN S sound but the physical fit wasn’t great on or in my ear. In the end, it’s such a personal decision based on many factors. Good luck finding the right one for you. Looking at similar options over here so figured I’d share.

1 Like

The one with which YOU get the best results you’re looking for - be it natural sounds, speech comprehension or whatever.

That is under the assumption that you’re choosing between three aids that are properly fit for your loss and giving you the best output possible for each of them. Eg following these, for each: best practices summarised by dr cliff

Otherwise comparison is useless. Apples to cars basically.

Experience from others are useful for non hearing part, eg features and whatnot, but for hearing, you have to see how your brain works with each. Best is to take notes during trialling, because trust me, in half a day of different setup it’s entirely possible that you’ll forget how exactly good/bad old one was.

As a piece of tech, all three are superb and if it fulfil your non hearing needs, you cannot go wrong with either. But definitely focus on hearing needs first as eliminatory criteria.

3 Likes

I just finished trialing Oticon OPN S 1 and am now on Paradise. I think that a good audiologist who knows how to program a specific brand can probably get your HAs to where you want them.

I felt like the Oticon could get to where I wanted but there were two issues. I’m on an iPhone 7 (upgrading to the 12 soon) and many times the streaming would get really scratchy. I would unpair it and pair it again and it would work for a while and then get scratchy again. I also didn’t love the app. I’m pretty technical and wanted more flexibility. I heard the app will get upgraded soon but didn’t want to get it on faith.

So, I tried the Paradise P90RT. They have some of the latest tech and the app is very flexible. That being said, there are a number of bugs with the app and customizing the sound that are annoying. So, I need to make sure I can get the programmed to where I like them and enjoy the rest of the features. The biggest one is the microphone in the hearing aid instead of using the microphone in the iPhone. I’m willing to handle a few issues to get the bigger features. I’m only starting my second week and have my third adjustment coming up. I think I can get them to wear I want. I also am wondering if the double-tap and motion sensor are worth keeping the rechargeable battery. It’s 9:30 pm and I’m down to 25% after a few hours of streaming. I may switch to the 312 battery and lose the extra double-tap and motion sensor features.

In that case, consider size 13, significantly more juice, while being the same size as rechargeables :slight_smile:

About motion sensor, I’d recommend testing it and definitely comparing with battery version. If you don’t hear the improvement with motion sensors, then they’re not worth the cost IMO (if you have different prices).

1 Like

Which one you like better so far - as far as better sound and speech clarity?

Great recommendations. I have them paid for by insurance fortunately so cost isn’t an issue. It’s really about battery life. And the 13 battery size makes total sense. Going back and forth in my head.

I thought the Oticons sounded great but after 2 months my wife said that I replied with “What did you say?” a lot more than my first trial of Widex Moment 440s. I just did my second adjustment of the Paradise P90RT and decided to crank them up. I hear most things better but speech is some situations is sometimes muffled. I setup 2x/week adjustments to see if I can get them where I want them.

@DanInSD did you have a REM done with the Paradise? Everyone is different of course but after one fitting with the Paradise and a REM there was a clear advantage for me with speech over the Widex even after almost 2 months of adjustments.

Jim

I’m trying out the top-end Paradise rechargeable here.

I find the default setting very quiet … sort of dead.

The same default setting with GN Quattros is much ‘brighter’ although with more of a background hiss.

Anyone else find the Paradise less ‘bright’ than expected?

I don’t know if I would say it is less bright than I expected. The Widex Evoke that I tried before the Paradise were brighter - I describe the sound as having a ’ sparkle’ I haven’t had in a hearing aid. I really liked the aids a lot, but in the end my speech recognition, especially in noise was better with the Paradise.

After a couple of weeks I don’t notice the lack of brightness and in fact one think I like about the Paradise is that I often don’t notice them, it sometimes seems they are not doing anything, but when I need them they just work. Unobtrusive I guess.

Jim

Thanks for asking. Yes, I had REM done in the initial fitting. Subsequent adjustments have been remote because we have a number of immunocompromised people in the house (including myself) and we are limiting our exposure. I probably would do that regardless of COVID as we are starting flu season.

The initial REM was set to 100% volume. Usually things are ok, but I’m finding that downstairs where I have tile and hardwood there is a lot of echo. I also can’t hear my wife speaking next to me when we have the TV on. Sometimes I’m working with the tech and sometimes with the audiologist herself. The tech is pretty good but doesn’t know Phonak as well. I’m not sure if I should decrease or increase soft/loud, noise reduction, etc, and they don’t know exactly which app customizations relates to the same back end Target software changes. They will be scheduling a session with the Phonak rep hopefully in the next week so we can ask those questions along with many of the buggy software issues.

In the end, I’m pretty sure I’ll be keeping the Paradise if only for the microphone in the HA advantage and having two devices at one time. It’s also amazingly easy to stream from differently devices throughout the day.

Do you have recommendations for which settings I should have them look at for echoes due to large rooms with wood/tile floors?

I don’t, still pretty new at this myself. Hopefully one of the DIY folks or registered providers can chime in with some suggestions. @Blacky @Raudrive @Neville @tenkan any ideas?

Jim

Target has echo block setting that might help.
Your fitter should know exactly what to do if you explain your issues.
Good luck

1 Like

Also, I think this is available only at level 90.

By how the feature works, it cannot be replicated with other features available.

Only solution is to put some carpet there in the space. Or maybe lower the volume could help a bit.

@DanInSD

Soft sounds are for humming, like fan, ac and static, own breathing.
Default option is marked with a target sign. It’s ‘all sounds here’.
You can decrease soft sounds if they bother you.

Read those i /? signs all over, do mouse hover over things and wait for pop ups, read, learn.

Phonak has really user friendly sw. A ton it written.

If some term isn’t clear, google for ‘term phonak’ and you’ll probably get their published work about the feature and get to understand it.

About wife speaking while TV, during the streaming from TV connector or? In that case, change the aid mics in streaming programs below autosense bunch, use options tab, you can adjust how louder or quieter should aid mics be.

Also, some things are available when you click on category name, eg those two for streaming are under one name, another is autosense.

I was sitting in front of my TV, aids connected to the target, and going over options to hear the difference between soft sounds here or turned off, noise cancelling, and whatnot. One by one, to min, to max, concentrate, feel.
Then similar with switching through autosense programs. So I got to really understand how it works.
Some things I’d test with the app outside eg directionality or noise cancelling. To get a feeling how things work. And to connect description with a sound modification.

I’m trialing the P90R.

Thanks everybody. When I’m watching TV it’s not using the TV connector. I watch TV in the main family room/kitchen that has wood and tile floors with lots of echo.

I’m thinking I need to buy a Noahlink and play with things myself. @Blacky I like how you think that I should just sit there and try different options.

So if you are trying our the Paradise P90’s it has its own echo program called “comfort in echo” this has its own algorithm, which supposedly picks up the reverberation(echo) in the signal and separates the echo from the speech giving a natural sound, it has a setting from 0-20 so a bit of experimenting should find a solution, how it works I’m not sure, but probably something to do with attack/release times.

1 Like

They are cancelling / ignoring or something like that the sounds which are the same but late to the party. Forgot the details but can’t say that they mention attack /release there.

Can’t find that paper, but found this:

Comfort in Echo recognizes reverberation and applies gain reduction.

Comfort in Echo
Comfort in Echo is a new program within AutoSense OS for the V90. It can be blended with other programs with no change in the gain settings. It attempts to reduce the disturbing effects of reverberation in large rooms with reflective walls and ceilings. This is not a feature to improve speech intelligibility as much as it is designed to help reduce listening effort for patients who are in difficult listening situations.
Comfort in Echo is trying to get rid of the negative effects of reverberation on amplification. It is looking for tails or pauses in the signal, which note that an echo is happening, and it helps to reduce those. Many homes today have high ceilings and hardwood floors/tile floors. This could help your patients tremendously, even at home.

@DanInSD

When I’m watching TV it’s not using the TV connector. I watch TV in the main family room/kitchen that has wood and tile floors with lots of echo.

Try tv connector. Streaming features of this aid were revelation to me and made me very very happy :slight_smile: it you haven’t tried it, try :slight_smile:

I’m thinking I need to buy a Noahlink and play with things myself. @Blacky I like how you think that I should just sit there and try different options.

I think that’s the best way to really figure out what those info boxes are trying to explain.
Sorry, thought that you have it already :joy:

Ps noahlink wireless is the device you want :slight_smile:

Thanks, but i hear the TV just fine. It’s my wife talking next to me that sounds like gibberish. :crazy_face:

I have the TV connector upstairs and it’s wonderful like you explained. The only problem is that it starts streaming the TV when my wife turns it on even if I’m downstairs! It’s pretty funny. I turn it off unless I need it because I usually hear the TV just fine.

I have tv connector connection on manual for that very reason. :slight_smile: yes I have to click around but no one can scream in my ear without my control anymore :joy:

Hm, I’d say ‘check what options are turned on when you watch tv’ but that’s not possible for now. I’d expect it’s in quiet, but not sure how autosense process the TV sounds. I can imagine it even going into noisy, and that could change the mics’ directionality.

What I meant is, maybe it makes sense to create program for watching TV that you switch on to. Depending where your wife sits, she might be out of range of mic directionality plus TV could be louder than her… You can try the idea by creating custom program in the app itself in meantime and see if you can find out something better. Then make notes, because those custom programs are deleted the moment fitter changes something in the target and saves the settings in the HAs.