Checking your hearing aids

I was down in Texas for business meetings and I started to have issues hearing. After a bit of trial and error, my I figured out that my right Linx 3D hearing aid was acting up. It sounded a bit too quiet compared to the left one. When I got back, I did some quick and dirty testing using a hearing frequency test video that I found on Youtube. What I was able to determine was that the right receiver was distorting and was not outputting below 700 Hz. I visited my audiologist today and he confirmed the problem and replaced the receiver. Now everything is back to normal again

I thought I would pass the link along because this test video very useful when connected to a good set of speakers. Gives you a good idea of how your hearing aids are performing over the full frequency range. Interesting to note that the Linx 3D hearing aids have a range of 250 Hz to about 8000 Hz. Anything outside that range doesn’t seem to be amplified.

Here is the link:

Jordan

I think the range of amplification will depend on the power of the receivers. Less powerful receivers tend to amplify up to higher frequencies. Moer powerful ones don’t amplify to as high as frequencies

How to test for a dead Microphone:
I learned this from somebody on the forums :wink:
With a battery inserted and the hearing aid on;

1. Move the speaker close/right next to the front microphone. It should generate feedback.
  2. Move the speaker close/right next to the rear microphone. It should generate feedback.

rite
You may have to hold it close to your ear to hear the feedback. Also, depending on your loss you may have to wear one hearing in order to hear the other hearing aid generating feedback.

Phonak Naida, audio stopped, sort of

Thank you both for this information!

Do you need a noise input for this to work? I tried it but no feedback with either.

Hmmmmm; maybe with your moderate hearing loss it is difficult to produce Audio feedback. Perhaps you didn’t get the speaker close enough to the microphone? With my wife’s loss, placing the speaker anywhere near the mic produced loud feedback. That was easy. With my hearing loss I had to cup it next to my ear while moving the speaker around until the speaker got close enough to the mic to produce a short chirp.

Hearing aid settings could come into play too. I’m aware of a setting on many that controls how quickly the feedback is suppressed. I guess that would translate into length of chirp?

The issue I had with my hearing aid was the RIC. I’m curious what other people have been experiencing with respect to the lifespan of RIC’s. Here are my observations:

I’ve noticed that I have to change the wax filters in my RIC’s every 4 weeks. I think moisture from the inside of my ear canals accumulates on the wax guards and this seems to slightly muffle the high frequencies. I’m not sure if this is caused by the fact that I workout quite a bit and my hearing aids are exposed to quite a bit of sweat or if the holes in the wax screens are so small that they easily get plugged. I can tell you that once I change the wax filters, the hearing aids definitely sound quite a bit brighter. Has anyone else noticed this?

This leads to my second question. If the wax guards get plugged, maybe the actual speaker in the RIC gets slowly impacted by moisture, minerals, etc. What is interesting is that the RICs in both of my hearing aids have had to be changed within a month or so of each other and in both cases, there was no sudden degradation in sound quality. The deterioration happened so slowly that I only caught the problem because I started to have comprehension issues. This slow degradation makes me wonder if many of us are walking around with issues that we are not aware of.

So…if you are wearing hearing aids with RIC’s, you may want to change the wax guards more frequently and have the RIC’s tested more frequently too.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Jordan

Not an uncommon problem. I have replaced 4 receivers so far. Got to a point where I just ordered 2 spares on line. There is a service in Great Britain that sells these for around $60.00. Even though the bad ones were replaced by my audiologist as a warranty item, I like having the spares handy so if I have an issue I can do an immediate repair myself.
The process is a piece of cake.

My audiologist actually gave me a few spares along with a small plastic tool that is used to open a panel on the hearing aids so that the RIC can be replaced. He gave me a short lesson on how to replace the RIC’s so that I can do this myself. Was actually quite easy.

Jordan

250-3400 Hz at 130 dB I can hear, higher pitched sound I cannot hear, anyway. I’m deaf!