Causes and treatments of Tinnitus

Here is a good article from the American Academy of Otolaryngology on the causes and treatments for tinnitus.

http://www.entnet.org/HealthInformation/tinnitus.cfm

Thanks I’ll check that out

There are different causes of tinnitus. Allergy, high or low blood pressure, injury in the head or neck, diabetes, thyroid, tumor in the middle ear, stress and anxiety, damaged ear structure. People suffering from tinnitus have to consult a doctor who can help in determining the right type of treatment for the condition. But tinnitus can be cured to a certain extent by following some precautions like – stay away from loud noises and sound, learning to relax, exercise everyday to improve the blood circulation in the body, stop thinking and worrying about the noise, avoid excessive salt, eat properly, hearing aids can be combined with masks to help patients suffering from tinnitus. The pleasant noise emitted by the maskers and the hearing aid together help in reducing the head noise in patients.

Very good advice to follow for many health “aliments”. Of course much of this advice is not what people want to hear. They want a pill to take to eliminate the tinnitus and keep on rolling with over eating, smoking, high salt diet and generally unhealthy lifestyles. I think of what an ENT Dr. told me recently " A patient that smokes a pack a day was complaining of sore throats and sinus issues. After the examination he told him to quit smoking, exercise and eat healthy foods. The patient replied with: "can’t you do surgery or give me some kind of nasal spray or other medications ? LOL

I have found here much useful information for yourself and would like to thank you for done by work.

Hi I have read about botox and tinnitus. Does anyone know of any success stories?

The best treatment is a skilled hearing aid programmer (if hearing aids are worn) Tinnitus is quasi treatable by hearing aids!! If you have a programmer willing to sit down with you and work in finding which frequencies can be altered to raise/lower compression/mask etc. you can really ease the “noise”.

I suffer from this horrible malady and now work in the Hearing Health Care Industry to help myself and others to get through…I am a Dispenser and have worked with numerous Tinnitus sufferers who wear hearing aids, and have helped them lessen the Tinnitus just by “seeing which frequencies alter the Tinnitus” and getting the “noise” down by various means of hearing aid programming.

Just ask your dispenser if he’ll take the time, if he can’t, you’ll know you bought your hearing aids from the wrong vendor. This shouldn’t cost you a dime and should be pretty straight forward for any knowledgeable programmer. He just has to “mess with the knobs” a bit…and ask you “Does that lessen the noise or increase it?”

Your dispenser/programmer has the ability to save anything he does and refer back to it if needed. Don’t worry about losing your favorite setting, rest assured it is safe on his computer ready for re-installation if necessary.

Just ask, what have you got to lose?

Burke
Big Ol’ notch at 4000Hz/90db(HL)

Home remedies for Tinnitus #1: Take 300 mg. a day of Coenzyme Q10 This powerful antioxidant is crucial in the effectiveness of the immune system and the circulation to the ears.
Home remedies for Tinnitus #2: Bayberry bark, burdock root, goldenseal, hawthorn leaf and flower and myrrh gum purify the blood and counter act infection.
Home remedies for Tinnitus #3: Ginkgo biloba helps to reduce dizziness and improve hearing loss related to reduce blood flow to the ears.
Home remedies for Tinnitus #4: Eat fresh pineapple frequently to reduce inflammation.
Home remedies for Tinnitus #5: Include in your diet plenty of garlic, kelp and sea vegetable.
Home remedies for Tinnitus #6: For ringing in the ears, mix 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of glycerin in 1 pint of warm water. Use a nasal spray bottle to spray each nostril with the solution until it begins to drain into the back of the throat. Spray the throat with the mixture as well. Do this three times a day.

When I first lost my hearing (rt ear only) my tinnitus was unbearable, then I lost my balance and suffered terrible vertigo for almost a year. I eventually lost my job as well. Stress certainly plays a huge factor in balance and tinnitus issues. At one point, I actually thought about suicide! I had black circles under my eyes due to the stress and fatigue this caused me. I also considered filing for total disability. I had a complete change in my personality and became a very angry person. Fortunately, my pharmacist told me about “Lipoflavanoid” an over the counter remedy for tinnitus. I am usually skeptical about OTC medications and vitamins but what did I have to lose? I started taking 1-3/day…it’s expensive at about $30/bottle of 90. I took it for over a year and it did help lessen the severity of my tinnitus. I did eventually stopped taking it and the volume has remained at a more tolerable level. I’ve also cut down on my use of artificial sweetners. Red wine also makes it worse. I do have to exercise to keep my balance intact, which is good for you anyway. I have spent many years, visited many doctors, read many articles on this subject. The more I researched and focused on a cure the worse it made me feel. It took me almost 3 years to accept my hearing loss/tinnitus/occasional vertigo, but with the help that one pharmacist, a great physical therapist and a less stressful job I’ve come to accept the fact that there is no cure.

I have had tinnitus every since going through chemo and feel that chemo caused it and my hearing loss. I have tried every home remedy that I have heard of and none have helped. I have hearing aids and they have not helped the tinnitus; however, at least I can hear better. I find the best thing is just to try and keep your mind busy with something else and I have learned to live hearing sounds that no one else hears. At first I thought tinnitus would drive me out of my mind, however, so far I have been able to cope with it. Tinnitus can be hard to live with, however, I am determined that I will continue to try and ignore all those crazy sounds and not let them drive me crazy. Keep the faith and stay positive; do not let tinnitus rule your life.

Thanks for posting the article. It’s the best one I’ve ever read, especially in addressing tinnitus in children. I’m in my 50’s, but I can remember being in the hearing test truck in elementary school trying to pick out the test tones from the tones in my head. I had bad inner ear infections as a kid and I have bad genes, so hearing loss and tinnitus are just part of my life.

I’ve read far too many articles that focus on “lifestyle” causes of tinnitus. Sure some tinnitus is caused by preventable damage to the inner ear, but those articles just feel like folks have to explain/assign blame for what makes them feel powerless. Thanks again for posting this fine article that sticks to the science.

I read something recently about a connection between tinnitus and hyperinsulinemia-induced hypoglycaemia. anyone heard of this? According to the study, over 70% of the people who stuck with the diet had some reduction in their tinnitus.

The article was in Tinnitus Journal, can’t post the link until I have more posts…

5 weeks after going on a low carb diet my hearing improved noticably and my tinnitus lessened dramatically … a new hearing test confirmed that my hearing had improved in both ears

It mentioned here that stress and anxiety can cause tinnitus. What kind of stress in particular? Does staying up late or not getting enough sleep can be among the causes? I sometimes experience this but am not sure as to what causes it.