CaptionCall phone amplification

I just received my CaptionCall phone and have a question for you. They told me I could send in my audiogram and they will adjust the amplification for my hearing.

Has anyone done this and if so, what was the outcome? Was there any difference in the voice clarity?

Just wondering if I should go ahead and do this.

0 Likes

I’d think it would depend on understanding. If you are getting everything right, it’d be a real option to want to change things.

0 Likes

I hear and also read the caption at the same time in case I miss something. The caption is one sentence behind which causes me to pause to the caller.

Maybe I’ll wait. Thank you.

0 Likes

Just out of curiosity, what do you see as the downside to having them tailor the amplification to your hearing?

0 Likes

Not sure if you meant this for me or KenP. I just e-mailed CaptionCall asking if they could re adjust the amplification back if I don’t like it. Will wait for an answer.

I’m just asking the forum if anyone has had the amp changed to their hearing how did they like it and why.

0 Likes

@cjpines, yes, the question was for you. :slightly_smiling_face:

My first thoughts were that having the amplification adjusted to your audiogram would be a definite plus. But after thinking about it a little, maybe listening while wearing your hearing aids and having it adjusted to your audiogram might not be optimal. I don’t know if that kind of redundancy helps or hurts.

0 Likes

Yea, I don’t know either if it helps or hurts. Maybe I can get more info from the company.

I’m doing okay with the aids and caption, but was thinking it could be better??? don’t know yet.

0 Likes

They have very good support in my experience. If you have hearing aids in while you talk on the phone then you may be compensating twice for your hearing loss. In that case you may have to trial-and-error it a bit to find an EQ setting that works for you.

0 Likes

Pardon my ignorance, what abbreviation is EQ setting?

0 Likes

EQ setting just refers to the levels of the adjustments they have such as the low setting (men’s voices and thump type sounds) and high setting (kids voices, hisses, screeches, shrill things). My comment then just means they (and/or you) may have to experiment with the adjustments available to find one you like. It would be great if they could do that while talking to you on the phone because then you could hear the changes almost instantly.

The term itself comes from:
“Equalization, or EQ for short, means boosting or reducing (attenuating) the levels of different frequencies in a signal. The most basic type of equalization familiar to most people is the treble/bass control on home audio equipment. The treble control adjusts high frequencies, the bass control adjusts low frequencies.”

0 Likes

Great information and I thank you.

0 Likes