Cannot hear when its windy outside

Ive had this problem for ages and its one the reason i dont wear hearing aids outside, but now ive started to wear them more often and i really hate it when i want to hear someone talking but instead i can hear wind.

h4mza,
What kind of HA are they and how old are they? My Oticon HA do a fair job eliminating wind noise and my wife’s Phonak’s do well outside. Talk to your Audiologist, maybe they can make some adjustments.

This is another dirty little secret about digital hearing aids that most audiologists don’t tell their patients. Digital aids, especially those classified as “entry level” (meaning they cost “only” $1500 each or so) are especially susceptible to wind noise. No matter how much my audiologist tweaked my Phonak digital ITE aids, she could not suppress the annoying wind noise that made these aids totally wearable outdoors. She even had Phonak install wind screens, but this did not help at all. Unless you’re prepared to spend upwards of $4000 for a top-of-the-line digital aid with wind noise supression circuitry, there probably isn’t much you can do. I now wear a pair of Acoustitone Pro analog BTE aids all the time, and even though they lack the bells and whistles of digital aids, they are much less susceptible to wind noise, and I can wear them comfortably outdoors without feeling like I am walking around in a hurricane. Gerald

I have ReSound Futures, and the audiologist programmed one of my programs to cut down or eliminate wind noise when I drive my car with the top down. Whatever she did, it works. Very little or no wind noise, and I can hear the radio and conversation.

I find that odd. In my experience my analogs were terrible, but the digitals I’ve had since have been very good with wind noise.

My Futures are extremely quiet in the wind.

h2mza,
If your Audi can’t fix the wind noise problem, you could always get HA sweat bands they do a great job with wind noise.

I wouldn’t call it a ‘dirty little secret’. I can’t really see any professional telling their client they will have no problem in wind noise, but we can’t simply alert them of any and every situation they may have a problem in. Again, this is why there is such a long trial period. The one thing that I can suggest to the above wearer is next time, either get a deep fitting CIC, or a RIC/BTE with wind noise management, as this is not built in to most hearing aids. The aids that I’ve fit that DO have wind noise management have always done the job just fine.

Which is about right.

Wind noise is characterised by a low frequency drumming (not exactly but you know what I mean) across the mics. At detection analogue aid wind noise is just as bad as digital aid wind noise, given that the source is the same. In the old analogue aids there was a low frequency cut to remove it, while pretty much all of the current digitals have wind detection and filtering.

Older digitals (like the Resound Air) had particular issues - probably due to the single directional mic configuration.

Some people wearing some aids still suffer worse than others, but there are better options in the tool-kit to sort this out.

The problem is that most consumers are not aware that wind noise management is an extra-cost feature on most digital aids, so they would have no reason to inquire about it. And , of course, most audiologists don’t tell their new hearing aid patients that wearing hearing aids outdoors can be problematic. They only test their patients in a soundproof chamber that is totally isolated from outdoor noise. Do most audiologists ever bother to accompany their patients outdoors to see how well their patients function with their new aids with wind noise and other environmental sounds? Of course not. They’re always too busy or just don’t care. Most consumers simply don’t have the time or patience to keep running to their audiologits to have their aids constantly tweaked and retweaked, so they just become frustrated to the point where they stop wearing their aids outdoors if the wind noise becomes intolerable. Indeed, many consumers probably believe that putting up with wind noise is just another frustration of digital aids that they “just have to learn to live with”. Gerald

Really? Is that is a fact ? I have a rock-bottom Destiny 200, which, while not of the caliber of the Destiny 1200, is still pretty damn good for quieting down wind noise.

Point A is not the case here, but I don’t know where you buy your hearing instruments - like JohnC mentioned above, it’s a fairly standard feature even on the more basic aids.

Hearing Aid Audiologists are ‘required’ to test in a situation where the ambient noise is less than 35dB(A) to ensure testing accuracy. It’s nice to try the aids with lots of environmental noise from the stimulus CD we have here. HOWEVER when you experience wind noise its the ‘physical’ effect of the wind going past the mics, not the sound that is the problem: it’s fairly difficult to emulate a 30mph wind on a still day, either in the shop or outside without developing some motor noise. In this situation we wouldn’t know if the aid was responding to the motor noise of the fan or the air stream. OR you could just take the aids for a walk to try them out…

I only notice wind noise problems, when it’s windy.

lol :smiley: Funny enough, I’m the same Hask;)

Cheers Kev:D

It’s hardly a ‘dirty little secret’ and is not specific to digital aids either. Any time you have a microphone, amplifier and speakers exposed to wind you are going to get wind noise. That’s why if you ever see a news reporter filming a news report, their have an artificial fur on the mic to prevent that wind noise.

Any competent hearing professional would inform their patient that aids at certain price points do not have sophisticated multi channel electronic wind noise filtering. And so they might consider not fitting a large BTE in the lower price ranges given that fact (especially if the patient is going to be outdoors a lot).

Good hearing professionals take everything into account, loss, lifestyle, cosmetic issues, and so on, and recommend accordingly, explaining the pros and the cons.

That’s good. When I trialed the Phonak Solana, right from the factory, I heard wind noise (white noise) inside the office and it was not windy inside.:confused:

The audiologist never could get those Phonak Spice chip aids programmed satisfactorily.