Can you deduct an Oticon TV Adapter as a medical expense?

Are Oticon TV adapters considered an eligible medical expense tax wise (like hearing aids and batteries)? Can they be purchased with HSA’s?

Good question! I don’t know but suspect the correct answer, as in so many cases, is - It Depends!

I just bought a, very expensive, Roger Select, and have sent the invoice to my insurance company. I expect they will deny the claim and I will then file an appeal. I will argue that it is necessary for my work.

In Europe that is a good argument, in the US not so great but who knows. I have read here that some are getting these devices, and TV adapters, from their VA clinics. So, depending upon your insurance, your arguments, the mood of your claims adjuster the day he/she gets the claim, maybe yes maybe no.

1 Like

I wasn’t really referring to medical insurance, it’s more of a question if it is a eligible medical expense for tax purposes like hearing aids are. I know closed captioning boxes are an eligible medical expense.

1 Like

I would say that if you can make the argument that you can’t hear TV well without it, you should be able to call it a medical device. I am no expert when it comes to tax rules, so your mileage may vary. I have been often amazed at what people claim and get away with. Go for it.

1 Like

When we bought hearing aids at Costco we were not taxed for the aids. We later bought the TV Connector at Costco, it was taxed.
My guess is the TV Connector is not classified a medical device.

A wise CPA once said, “Anything is deductible if you are not audited”

1 Like

You could make your tax person find out for you … cuz s/he is the one to sign the dotted line that all’s LEGAL.

Perhaps the strategy could be that it’s essential for WORK - cuz these TV streamers are also connected to laptops, which could be used for Skypes at work or even research done where audio is played over the laptop.