"Can We Live Longer but Stay Younger?"

More aging than hearing related. Hard to summarize, but thoughtful article. Part I found most interesting is that things made for “old people” don’t sell.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/05/20/can-we-live-longer-but-stay-younger?utm_source=STAT+Newsletters&utm_campaign=fe5546e034-MR_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_8cab1d7961-fe5546e034-150919009

0 Likes

^^^ LOL!! My sister-in-law’s hubs just sent us a link to that article yesterday - timely topic! My gripe is that the author spends about 80% of the article with asides, witticisms, parenthetical OBTWs, etc.) till I lost the main train of thought! The article probably could’ve been boiled down to just 2 paragraphs along the lines of: We get OLD. Deal with it.

The work being done by AgeLab is interesting even if infuriatingly beating around the basic bush of designing, marketing and selling useful devices to seniors. I guess the founder has already made up his mind that seniors prefer IMAGE over UTILITY (something I absolutely disagree with, but then I’ve lived with a handicap all my life and NEED the utility!) - that’s why his company’s strategy is to target problems with a solution and OBTW, it happens to work for seniors! :slight_smile:

I’m not sure that I believe the line, “Once we have passed reproductive age, the genes can get sloppy about copying, allowing mutations to accumulate, because natural selection no longer cares. And so things fall apart.” I actually think that genetics, diet and lifestyle have a bigger impact on one’s longevity - looking AND feeling more youthful. We value a youthful image and culture because that look is appealing to us! We’re creatures of the EYES more than the brain, I guess.

Well, I found the article provocative but just clumsily written! Would be curious as to what others believe on the topic of SENIORS accepting that they NEED devices to maintain a safe, independent lifestyle. (Sobering statistic about the percentage of those wearing LifeAlert who actually USE them when an emergency arises.)

0 Likes

The article had a point?! Yeah, I found it frustrating too, but there were interesting parts. I’ve observed two elderly parents that have dealt with these issues. My father in law was very reticent. He agreed to hearing aids after much encouragement, but only wore them in social situations where they really didn’t help him much since he hadn’t been wearing them. He also had a LifeAlert type device as he realized his vulnerability to falls. I think he used it once or twice, but injured himself getting himself up on his own instead of waiting for paramedics. My Mom has been much more of accepting. She’s used her LifeAlert multiple times and uses her hearing aids regularly. Oh, both of them were reluctant to use walkers for sometime.

Not sure how I’ll be. I’ve accepted hearing aids fairly well. I’m not accepting the idea that I should slow done any physically as still very much enjoy fairly strenuous physical activity.

0 Likes

Sadly, I think the reason seniors refuse help and live in denial is cuz they’re afraid someone is going to start making decisions for them. There does come a point when - if the person keeps falling down, vision totally fails, can’t hear and refuses to wear aids, has other physical disability or condition to preclude independent living - a person needs to RECOGNIZE this is part of life!

I’m a non-smoking, non-drinking, daily exercising vegan - and even my doctors ask what-all I’m doing cuz my annual bloodwork is better and better. But I will get old, get frail, need more devices and assistance, and LOOK FORWARD to technology and my choices already! It’s quality life I’m after - not sheer years. But that is something that requires a reality check and a commitment to living a healthy life. That is my answer to the question of “Can we live longer but stay youthful” (not younger, as that is mathematically impossible)

1 Like