Can I freeze hearing aid batteries for storage?

I recently upgraded to KS10 aids, which have rechargeable batteries. But I’m keeping my KS7’s, which use 312 batteries for backup and for “risky” activity, like a river trip.

Would it hurt to keep a few batteries in the freezer for use when I use the KS7’s? Obviously, I would warm the batteries before use.

And first impressions on the KS10’s —

• Help me hear better (maybe because they have more aggressive amplification).
  • Awkward to turn on/off. I miss the battery door.

I have a bag of 200+ expired batteries. The Costco fitter said they would not recycle them unless I taped over the vents in each battery. Anyone have other recycle options? They should be useful at least as scrap stainless steel.

1 Like

Say what? why would you do this, the batteries are very cheap to buy anyway.

3 Likes

Why freeze batteries?

1. To have batteries on hand rather than requiring a trip to the store.
  2. To avoid even a small expense
  3. To avoid wasting batteries (minimize environmental impact)

www.call2recycle.org is a website that helps find recycling locations near you. They can give you locations that accept the batteries. Here in Portland we take ours to the local Ikea.

Jim

Yes sure I agree with you on this, we’re definitely not doing enough!

1 Like

Well apparently you can freeze batteries! But it only works with certain types! You learn something new every day… Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

You can find anything to support your beliefs on the internet :wink: Overall, it’s just not worth it. Recycle if you can; otherwise, pitch them if you have no use.

1 Like

Yeah @speedy, I was actually talking about this tonight, my wife is a retired Social Worker for the deaf/Deaf, of some 35 years standing, we were talking on the amount of misinformation on the Web, and how gullible some folk are, you will note I said apparently :wink: 'tis a bit like the Myth that all AuD’s are better than Dispensers, that doesn’t always pan out correct, you will obviously get good, bad and indifferent in both, and I have been fortunate and unfortunate in the last 30 years or so to meet the full spectrum, from the brilliant, to the rank rotten… Mind you, it’s all about opinions, and you will be acutely aware, some hearing losses are very challenging to fit correctly, there are successes and failures in every profession, many might say you are a wonderful Aud, and others might be less kind with their praise… But, such is life! I recall my old carpentry instructor, a Master Joiner, he is dead now, but I always think of him fondly, he told me one day, “The perfect job has never been done”, you can get near perfection or almost perfect, but never quite get ultimate perfection, so perhaps us HOH expect too much, from your profession? Cheers Kev :wink:

2 Likes

Makes me remember my grandmother, whose hearing aid hung around her neck with a twisted wire leading to the earpiece. She kept her HA batteries in the fridge.

I would not freeze the battery. If cost is a factor then look at buying on Amazon. They are cheap just don’t by more then you will use in a month.

1 Like

Keep them cool yes, but avoid taking them past the dew point as you’ll create a condensation short. Freezers and fridges are usually too cold and wet.

If you have somewhere with an ambient 10 to15C, that’s fine.

2 Likes

In out town they have a yearly recycling drive for everything, paints, oils, computers, TVs, and yes all sorts of batteries. I keep them in an old empty iced tea mix container and take them in and they are happy too.

I bought a case of 312 batteries before I went to Phonak rechargeable. I still have the batteries and if I ever need to pull out my Oticons in an emergency situation, I do like knowing that I have some batteries on hand. I wouldn’t throw out or recycle batteries you haven’t used and I’m not sure about the freezing part, but storing them for years so long as they are unused probably won’t hurt anything aside from a slightly shorter life than a “fresh” pack. Once you take the sticker off, though… That’s another story. I always have a pair of batteries in with my backup hearing aids. They’ve been in there a long time and in the few times I’ve had to get in there and use them, the batteries always worked just fine. Just the aids that sound and feel so different to me now.

2 Likes

The 312 are air activated. The packet advises you fit the battery, removed the sticker and wait one minute before switching on (closing the battery compartment) for best endurance.
The battery life is consumed as soon as that sticker is removed.
I have not checked how long It will last once the sticker is removed but not used.

I can tell you that it isn’t that long. Maybe a few days or a week. But not longer.

I used to get two weeks use with switching off every night. Sounds (:blush:) as if on/off makes no real difference.

Actually I think there is a substantial difference between taking the tab off and not using the battery much, in which case it dies quite quickly and using the battery to drive the hearing aid for a few hours each day, in which case it lasts much longer and so turning off at night for example does greatly extend the life over leaving it on all the time.