Can I connect a Resound TV Streamer directly to an A/V Receiver?

Brilliant minds…my son is suggesting the same (or very similar) Onkyo as the way to go.

FWIW, I came out of my local Costco today with a set of KS 5.0s and the store demo Resound Streamer 2 as a loaner. As expected, the Streamer did not work off the family room (w/ AVR theater system) TV’s Optical Out. It did work off the old Onkyo AVR’s headphone jack. (It did work just fine from the bedroom TV’s Optical Out.)

The bad part about the Streamer is it sure does not have a movie type sound - at all. The good part is I can understand speech with the streamer (even if I walk into another room or upstairs). Not so much so with just the HAs. (My hearing damage is severe to profound per the fitter, witch is what I anticipated.)

And I don’t need the Phone Clip+ for Streaming (or cell phone use), which for some reason I thought I would.

My son is suggesting I try a bluetooth headphone setup with the new AVR, so we will go that route before deciding on buying a Streamer.

Thanks for that, Don. We will look into the Yamaha before making a decision. Strange, I looked a two (more expensive) Yamaha’s at Costco on Sunday and neither had an audio out.

No Joy on the Yamaha’s analog Audio Out. Similar to what we have now - it only works if the Input to the AVR is in Analog. And this generally is not an option since the feeds will be HDMI (digital) for Blue-ray, etc.

So relative to the Resound Streamer 2, I’m back to looking at feeding digital audio back to the TV (“should be” doable) or using the AVR’s headphone Jack if I can have optional control over the external speakers at the same time.

Well, that’s unfortunate. If you don’t find a new AVR with an additional audio out you might have to split the HDMI signal.

Here is one thing (below). I’m not sure the device outputs the full HDMI signal. Unclear. It probably does but not assuming that. If it is the full signal then you could come out of the AVR with the HDMI cable, put this splitter in to get the audio, and continue to the TV with the HDMI out of the splitter.

If it doesn’t pass the whole HDMI signal through to the TV you would have to split the HDMI signal above that device, and use the above device just to extract the audio signal. Go to the TV with the other leg of the splitter below.

So worst case you would have AVR, HDMI out with full video/audio, splitter to get two hdmi signals, take one of those two to the TV for video, take the other of the two and connect to the first device above, to convert the sound to a format the TV Transmitter can handle.

Will this do something to the timing of the audio? I wouldn’t be surprised. Most new AVRs have an adjustment to line up the sound with the lips.

Going to the TV and getting the sound off the toslink may work just as well, but this gives you another option.

Thanks Don. This little devise looks promising. I’ll review with my IT Guy/son when he is over later this evening. And it could even be an option for a bluetooth headphone from what I’ve read so far, (so long as the headphone has it’s on volume control.

Man this has been time consuming - and my son is about to disown me. :slight_smile:

He brought his gaming headphones over last night and I tested them (using the old AVRs HP jack) against the Demo Resound Streamer 2. Watching a Blue-ray movie (Avatar) with really dynamic sound, the headphones won by a huge margin (kick ass better sound quality and general speech recognition was good. The Streamer, while OK for TV sitcoms, etc., get weird when the movie sound jumps way up (for me).

So…

…[EDITED/DELETED FOR POSTERITY - See next post.]

I’ll mull this over until this evening and then either order, procrastinate some more, or have a panic attack. :slight_smile:

Comments welcome.

Order placed, but not for a new AVR, Splitters, lesser BT headpones, etc., etc., as was the thinking this morning.

We (actually son #1) seems to have found a way to add Optical In/Out friendly Sony Wireless headphones (with dedicated HP amp) using a direct hook-up to the existing (non HDMI) A/V Receiver.

His order instructions:

After mulling this over:

Sony makes a step down model from the one I linked before: http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Stereo-Surround-Headphone-MDR-DS7100/dp/B002PF2DEE/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

It takes optical audio in, and then outputs it to go to your current amp. It actually ships from Amazon so you can probably get it by Friday if you order it soon. The bad thing is it only has 2 inputs so you will need some sort of switch for a 3rd input, if you use your BD player. IE: http://www.amazon.com/Nyrius-SW100-Digital-Selector-Compatible/dp/B000812QC6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394658259&sr=8-1&keywords=optical+audio+switch

That one is a manual switch, no remote. But I think its so rare that you use your Bluray player it may not be a big deal. More expensive ones have remotes.

Finally if you want to also use your hearing aide streamer downstairs you will need an optical splitter. Ie: http://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Premium-Quality-Splitter/dp/B00HQ2R314/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1394658474&sr=8-10&keywords=optical+audio+splitter [Did not order this.]

Just as an FYI, the Sony wireless headphone system is installed and pulling TV audio using the Optical Audio Out on the Direct TV’s DVR box (I found this Audio-Out source when installing the headphone receiver.) I see no reason why a Streamer would not work exactly the same if a TV/DVR (only) connection is needed.

FWIW, with the DVD and the WD box, the Sony headphone’s dedicated receiver is wired as a pass-though to the A/V Receiver (DVD Optical-Out to HPhone receiver to AVR Optical-In). But I did a direct hookup to the DVR’s audio out (not running through to the A/VR). I get no perceptible sound delay, however my son thinks he picks up a little.

Sound quality from the Sony HP System is outstanding (even I can pick up the surround sound) and far far superior (to my ears) than the demo Streamer’s sound quality. With or w/o the hearing aids. The only draw back is it needs more room in the ear cups if you are using behind-the-ear shells, like the Costco 5.0’s. Feedback can also be a problem if the aids are not turned down quite a bit (although I think the gain is set too high on mine right now).

He likes it enough that we just ordered the newer HDMI version of the Sony HP System for him. (The newer system has to be sourced directly from Japan, but Amazon handles the paperwork.)

Im glad to hear you found a solution that works!

I know that this thread is over a year old but I wanted to share my solution to this problem. Most of my devices are connected to my A/V receiver with HDMI. My Resound TV Streamer only accepts L/R Analog (RCA) inputs. Only the receiver’s headphone jack supplies a 2 channel analog signal when an HDMI input is selected. But connecting anything at the headphone jack disables the surround sound speakers, so I can hear but no one else can.

I bought a device called an “HDMI Audio Extractor” on Amazon (they are also available on Ebay at prices ranging upward from about $15). The HDMI OUT from the receiver passes through this device on its way to the TV and it extracts the audio and supplies it L/R Analog ports. Works great!

I would assume that you have bluetooth on your streamer. I have Oticon HA with Oticon Streamer and have a bluetooth transmitter hooked up from my receiver which sends directly to my HA…only problem is a bit of a lag with the sound…particularly if TV is up for wife hearing then I get the lag…if turn down volume on TV then works great.