Can I change SIZE of domes on ONE aid only?

Miracolo! I don’t know how I was searching on Amazon last night, but I didn’t see any M for Phonak. I think I didn’t use the key phrase “power dome”. Now I’ve got the Amazon link, and am going to order some ASAP! Thanks!!

Oddly enough, my dear aud-guy said Phonak only made L and S power domes. So - for the umpteenth time - I’m going to have to tell him that here at the HearingTracker forum, I learned there actually ARE Medium domes. > : - /

THANKS ALL for the informative replies! I had worn Widex double domes on the Oticon Opn miniRITE aids for 9 months (before exchanging those aids for my current Phonak Audeo B-Directs). I always kind of wondered if the mis-match of dome & aid manufacturers could’ve contributed to my simply never being able to HEAR with the Oticons.

I just assumed that I should stick with same maker for dome & aids. But now I wonder if it isn’t so complex after all. Even SO! I am going to order the Phonak M double-dome tulips today and see how that does on my left aid.

I’ll definitely report back. Cuz I really don’t want to go back to my aud-guy just for a DOME size change! Especially if this is an ongoing issue with my ear canals swelling and receding like the tides. No idea why I’m prone to that condition.

VERY GRATEFUL for all the info & help here. :slight_smile:

You can change domes anytime you like. I suggest you have your provider check other brands of domes [medium size] that would fit your HA. Domes are not Brand Specific. He/She may be too lazy to give you the time to do the checking. But remember “the squeeky wheel gets the grease”.

Sure why not. I actually switched to using an open dome on my good ear while using a closed “power dome” on my bad side.

GREAT! I’m so glad that swapping domes from different manufacturers and of different sizes does not seem to be an issue at all. (Maybe it’s the length of WIRE that I had read makes a difference in calibration?)

My aud-guy moved in to his new clinic back in March. He confessed (after taking a good 5-10 min to find the size S Phonak domes for me!) that he’s still “unpacking” with stuff in boxes that he simply has no idea where things are. LOL. It’s easier and quicker for me to surf up to Amazon and find what I need now.

It appears that my left ear canal is just a whole size smaller than the right one. Chalk it up to the asymmetry of nature.

Strictly speaking you’ll need to go back for an adjustment if you’ve changed the venting. However, as most of the effect is below 1Khz you’re not really going to suffer that much unless you either start getting more feedback (more venting) OR too much LF gain (Less venting).
Further increasing venting my give you a ‘thinner’ sound experience overall as you lose the LF ‘warmth’ from the signal and you may start to lose some of the speech clarity too: which might be more apparent to others around you.

^^^^ Um_bongo, you absolutely nailed it! I do, indeed, have that “thinner” sound quality in the left ear now, cuz I had to swap a size S dome for the L the other day. Luckily, I’ve got some size M domes coming in this week, so I’ll swap one of those for the S and see how things sound.

These are double-dome, unvented, to prevent as much leakage as possible (given my hearing loss!). I’m hoping to adjust to the slightly cockeyed listening with the combination of M (left side) and L (right side). But I appreciate your noting that I may indeed have to return to my aud-guy for a bit of an adjustment.

When I press the tragus area and really PUSH the aids into my canals, the sound is SUPER rich and markedly louder. That got me thinking about the benefits of aids that sit right up against the eardrum (Lyrics). I don’t think they’re for me what with my loss of 70-80db, but it’s amazing how much more powerful aids can be the deeper they sit in the ear. AH for a microchip surgically implanted right there. Get the power from our heartbeat or some such thing …

I’m dreaming.

It is indeed my cost of the weird pressure variations in my ears. I lose control of the lower frequencies and thus “thinner” sound.

@Um_bongo: Do you know which of the single closed domes would fit the Rexton KS7’s?
I’m wondering if I could poke a hole in them to get some venting but not like open domes and that then might get me a little more lower frequencies. I’ve tried tulip domes but I seem to recall they can close up as well.

Not sure what receiver they use, but if it’s the same as the standard Resound ones you can do what I do; use the Sonova range of domes. IMHO the bullet domes give a better fit at all sizes with the single closed dome, single slit as necessary.

Beyond that, whatever is secure, comfortable and gives enough coupling for the sound, is right, whether that be a modified dome or a custom tip.

Um_bongo, are you saying the bullet dome is better than a double-dome “power” dome? I’d be interested in ANY dome improvement if it provides better sound quality, less leakage, greater comfort and would fit on my new Phonak receivers. Perhaps Phonak even makes a bullet dome. I’ve just never tried them, but it seems a low-cost experiment if I can order a pack at Amazon.

If you need the double dome, you aren’t necessarily going to get enough seal from a single bullet dome.

However, these things aren’t always as straightforward as you might think. Some people who should require a more occluded fit, dislike it, while others who should prefer open domes like to have a bit more seal.

At 60dB plus, you should be ok with a decent seal, but trying a lesser option won’t hurt.

I have a double dome in my right hear only. The left is just a single. I was having feedback in my right ear and the double dome fixed that issue.

Your right ear loss looks like the Grand Tetons :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just a quick update here! I ordered the Phonak double-domes at Amazon, size M. I’ll be jiggered: they are the IDENTICAL size as the S my audi-guy gave me. Augh. The packaging on these two sizes of dome says S and M, but hold them next to each other and they are not even a fraction different in size.

My size L domes are indeed an order of magnitude bigger, but I had to guffaw at the joke’s on me. Apparently, Phonak thinks that just cuz I’m DEAF, I’m also BLIND and can’t tell that their size S and M domes are the same. And here, I administer a slap to my forehead.

I’m still wearing the smaller dome on my left receiver, and while it does tend to slip out of the ear a bit, I just push it in again. Truth is, my left ear can only fit the S/M before noon; then it’d be fine with the L dome. But if I had to change domes on one receiver twice a day, I wouldn’t have time for better things to do.

:man_facepalming: or colonman_facepalmingcolon or woman of course…add wo in front of man.
It’s in the list of emoticons. Although if you’re hard of seeing it’s not exactly obvious.

But dang! Whaddyagotta do!

I’ve got pretty assymetric hearing loss so I put a power (i.e., closed) dome on the bad year and an open one on the good ear. You may need to adjust the fitting software to handle the difference in coupling efficiency.

Similar question for KS7 open click domes. My left ear is fine with 8mm, but the right ear needs a size smaller. There is no 6mm so I had to go to 4mm … kind of loose.

I’m just now trying Oticon 6mm open domes, but they do not ‘click’ on as securely. What is the risk of separation? Anyone with long-term experience with Oticon domes on Rexton/KS receivers?

Not long term, but I tried one. I pushed it on as hard as I could (and noted as you did that it didn’t click) When I took the hearing aid off, the dome remained. I need help from my wife with a pair of tweezers to remove. Wasn’t particularly fun. I do not recommend. And to be clear, I am talking an Oticon dome on a KS7. It wasn’t a 4 mm though. I think it was an 8 mm.

1 Like

[Quote] Um_bongoRegistered Provider
Nov '17

Or you can take a set of snips and make a radial cut in the domes to create a tulip version of an oversize double dome. [End Quote]

Has anyone tried the ‘radial cut’ (or maybe just a straight cut with open domes) on open domes? This might be preferable to mixing manufacturers domes in order to retain the very secure ‘click’ offered by the OEM domes.

Are you having a problem sourcing OEM domes? I have 10 and 8. Of course you can mix. I also went to a Costco (I have KS7’s) and they gave me some closed domes I’ll get around to drilling a vent into to get one vent hole going.

Edit: Just re-read your post…Costco has 6. Maybe try another location.

1 Like