Can hearing improve?

After wearing Resound Preza for 6 months I noticed high sharp sounds (silverware, water) were becoming uncomfortable, much like they were in the first days of becoming accustomed to HAs. I began routinely turning the gain down two notches and after a couple weeks went to see my Costco provider and she cleaned the aids and adjusted the highs down. The highs no longer bother me but I now miss some birds I was hearing.

I asked if the adjustment in the aids could have changed on their own and she said no. So if the aids didn’t change might I surmise that my hearing had improved to the point where the settings that sounded fine months ago were now too loud for comfort? Costco’s initial hearing test is good for a purchase of aids up to 6 months, so I assume it is accepted in the industry that a person’s hearing can change significantly in 6 months. But has anyone experienced this as a change for the better? Would I be unreasonable in requesting a complete retest including REM after only 6 months with the Preza aids to verify any change in my hearing?

My hearing will fluctuate with how tired I am, or stressed. I always hear better first thing in the more, and worse in the evening. And if I have lots of envirnomental noise to deal with it stresses me out an my hearing gets worse. Being in a car and or driving for more than an hour or two does it too. The road noise will make me tired and my hearing gets worse.

3 Likes

Google recruitment, sensitivity to certain sounds.

1 Like

Was the adaptation manager on?

1 Like

What is the adaptation manager?

It’s a feature that turns the gain up slowly over time, sometimes employed for new users who cannot tolerate full gain at the outset.

1 Like

Thanks. I think my provider would have informed me if that setting had been engaged.

I’m not an expert, but I personally think that hearing loss cannot be cured. I even thought that food suppluments like Aural+ - https://shopee.ph/Aural-Plus-Sachets-for-hearing-solution-i.9203279.1516260124 - would help, but I think they may just be placebo.