Can hearing aids be re-fitted to another person?

I posted on this in the Digital aids section with no responses, so perhaps that was the wrong forum for this question.

My question is this: My mother was given a lightly used pair of Rexton model 34 hearing aids. Can these aids be re-fitted for her ears and re-adjusted for her particular hearing loss?

She vaguely remembers being told by one audiologist about a year ago that this could be done for about $400. Does that sound right? (She’s still very sharp at 85, but does get things wrong from time to time.)

Any response would be very helpful since her birthday is next week and we’d like to do this re-fit as a birthday present, if possible.

Thank you,

Carroll

Your best bet is to ask local audiologists. If the aids are the behind the ear type it should be no problem getting earmolds for her and having the aids re-programmed for her loss. $400 would be the most I’d expect to pay for this.

If they are in-the-ear aids, you may find it difficult to find an audiologist willing to try to get the custom shells re-made to fit her ears. Again, if you can find someone to do it $400 to reprogram and re-shell a pair of aids isn’t out of line.

Of course, all of this is contingent on whether or not the aids will even fit her loss profile. If her loss exceeds the fitting range of these aids, you may be out of luck. I’d expect to pay $125-$175 for the hearing tests and consultation to confirm this.

Thanks for the reply.

These are in-the-ear aids. I thought the pricing sounded reasonable, so thanks for confirming that. I’ll start checking with local audiologists.

Hi,

Mom just passed away and this past August we purchased new hearing aids for her. They are Siemens and they are made for inside the ear. Is there anyway we can re-sell them? I called Sertoma where I purchased them and they said there was nothing they could do for us. Is is ok to sell used hearing aids?

I do not know the legality of doing this, so I asked someone. That person said: I’ve watched many hearing aids being sold on Ebay, garage sales, and some pawn/thrift shops. I’ve yet to hear of anyone being shut down for that.

Comment from guide: I suppose it is not that different from buying hearing aids on the internet. You still have to have an audiologist service the hearing aids and program them.

thanks!

if it is a bte technically it can be re fitted

I don’t see why not. I have had ITE aids made for me that didn’t fit properly (feedback problems) which were sent back by my audiologist to have the molds redone. I assume all the interior parts were taken from to poor fitting aid and transferred to the new molds, but I’m guessing.

is this legal?

what happens to all the instruments who gets return for credit

any ideas?

I would think that like anything else that something sent back for credit or a refund allows the company to do what they want with it, assuming the item isn’t defective. I wouldn’t be surprised if companies donate returns to charitable organizations thus allowing themselves a huge tax write off.

somehow this has to be factor in the costs of the HI. If manf. are forced with this losses. Ultimately they will pass on to the consumer right>?

I would think everything is passed on to the consumer and I think almost all businesses do that.

Since most instrument in trials are high end, I suspect big maf. will not be willing to
donate the instrument. I however, would tend to think they could use it for exchange
or the parts for instruments that are under warranty.

A while ago, I heard that some of the maf. sell all this items by pounds in boxes.
Say a box with x pounds for y dollars. this might be a myth but I have heard it
many times over.

For whatever it’s worth, and this comes out of HLAA magazine:
Since 2000, Starkey has donated 338,595 hearing instruments worldwide for people in need.
Oticon has a loaner program for chilren in need and who’s parents can’t afford them.
Siemens donates 100 free instruments per year to children in need. I don’t know if that’s a state by state thing.
Phonak supplies financial assistance to individuals and groups taht work to improve the quality of life of people who have hearing defects.
Keep in mind this info is from HLAA who accepts tons of advertising from hearing aid companies and companies that supply accessories to hearing aids. So their impartiality could come into question…

skinandvein,

Try Ebay. You can sell anything on there.

I recently sold a pair of Octicon HA on Ebay that were only a year old. The buyer was very glad to get them. He received a RITE aids at a fraction of the new price and I was able to recoup some of my investment. Many people don’t have insurance and are living on SS. They can’t afford the high cost of aids, so go without. Why can’t a category be set up on this forum for buying and selling HA. If not directly, it could be used just as a place to announce that they are available on Ebay.