Calcium Channel Blockers may help prevent hearing loss

Much is made of medicines causing hearing loss. Haven’t heard of this before:

1 Like

Should I have been on those ~35 years ago?

WH

Not sure if you’re serious or not, but I would say no. We really don’t know how significant an effect this is, and we certainly had no clue 35 years ago.

1 Like

Well, clearly not serious. Ear Pro would have been a good idea back then. Sometimes we got it. Sometimes “we ran out.”

WH

1 Like

Well I have been on on now for over a year.

1 Like

I haven’t been HERE a year. But I had my first real hearing test (not in an automatic test booth) a year ago. And so began the search for how to hear again. It was scary and not easy to navigate. Thanks for your help the last while.

WH

1 Like

Prescribed Felodipine which is a Calcium Channel Blocker in 2005, noticeable hearing loss around 2010/2012, been using aids for 5 years. If anything I think they have made my hearing worse!!

1 Like

I think just educating everyone while still in high school health education that loud noise (or music) is bad for you and avoid it - and teaching them what age-related hearing loss is like and how bad it could be, is the best and cheapest long-term preventative measure-teach entitlement to hearing protection in the work place and military, etc. A drug to reduce/prevent hearing loss is a bit like the pill everyone wants to live a high cardiovascular risk lifestyle and cure cardiovascular maladies after the fact, rather than prevent them in the first place. Not that you won’t suffer hearing loss in spite of good hearing practices but the here-and-now gets the attention - although it’s controversial in some quarters for teenagers, sex education and venereal diseases get a mention in high school health education (or earlier) but do good hearing practices for long-term benefits get covered? (I can’t remember my own secondary school health education - over 60 years ago!).

1 Like

My personal opinion is that this is not a very important study (but I did find it interesting). If I’m understanging it correctly, it may just be that untreated hypertension is a risk factor for hearing loss. I agree that protecting one’s ears from loud noise is a better intervention, but am not very hopeful about the effectiveness of education.

5 Likes

Interesting article.

Tests were on 30+ BMI patients. This can mean a number of different things health wise, everyone carries weight differently.

Hypertension affects so many things as well. It affects so many……young and old, trim and over weight.

Most of us understand why we lost our hearing but there are those who have no idea why.

4 Likes

My BMI has been just above 30 ever since my Navy boot camp. While even now at 74 by the charts I am over weight, by fat measurements I am almost to lean. Growing up on a farm, I have always been very active. Even now I still hike, ride my motorcycle and do my own yard work. It is true I have to eat less now that before but I haven’t found that difficult. My blood pressure issues are inherent. I have known it since I was 25. My blood sugar is very low normal. Luckily my doctors are smart enough to know the charts don’t work for everyone. We are all individually and we need to be treated that way.

4 Likes