Buying a Hi-Pro in Europe vs USA

When I search eBay/Europe for “USB Hi-Pro” I see pretty much the same things that I see on eBay/USA. So I don’t get why Europeans ask where to buy this?

Maybe it’s more difficult to get things shipped into Europe from a foreign country?? I don’t know.

Maybe Europe has no laws for credit card chargeback rights to protect a buyer against fraudulent transactions?? I don’t know.

Maybe it’s just lack of online buying experience?? You tell me.

This bears repeating here…
Retain your Credit card chargeback rights when buying online. That is, the transaction should be funded 100% via your credit card and not funded via your online balance, and not funded via your bank account. Then you can use credit card chargeback rights to claw back payment for a bad transaction by filing a dispute with your credit card company.

btw> I am not trying to be sarcastic or anything like that. I really only have experience with USA purchases and no experience with Europe purchases. I don’t know about Europe but in the USA it’s fairly easy to get a Hi-Pro and cables.

Read the link >> Self-Programming-Help << for Dos and Don’ts, or if you are a new member and can’t click on links, then find the same stuff in this DIY forum.

It could be an eBay search issue, we can’t see US stuff on UK Ebay by default. Searches won’t necessarily pick up US sales unless the listing is international. Which means that stuff is visible from China, Hongkong/ Taiwan etc, but rarely the U.S.

There’s also the import duty and shipping to consider, which may put other buyers off too.

Oh, I should have provided more info. Yes, it’s the China, Hongkong, Taiwan/etc products that I am talking about. When/if you see them for sale from a USA location, I believe it’s just a reseller for selling to people who are uncomfortable with buying from a foreign country. I believe they all come from the same or similar sources.

Let’s take a specific example on Ebay Europe (this specific info may deteriorate over time).
USB HI-PRO Hi Pro
eBay item number: 311210120710
$335 (5 available / 6 sold)
Item location: Shenzhen, China
Ships to: Worldwide See exclusions

I would have no problem purchasing this item from Shenzhen, China (relying of course on my creditcard chargeback rights/laws). I would expect it to arrive in 3 or 4 weeks without import duties.

Whoops, my bad…

I don’t think the previous example is valid. I didn’t notice the message (0 results found in the Europe category, so we searched in all categories)

Okay similar specific item on Ebay/UK…
USB HI-PRO
eBay item number: 271746340906
£194.48 $292 USD (4 available 1 sold)
Posts to: Worldwide See exclusions

If I lived in the UK (and talked funny) I would have no problem purchasing this item from Shenzhen, China (relying of course on my creditcard chargeback rights/laws). I would expect it to arrive in 3 or 4 weeks without import duties.

I admit that am groping in the dark when it comes to foreign country purchases in Europe??? That’s why I started this thread.

Perhaps someone with experience in foreign country purchases and/or credit card chargeback rights will enlighten us?

Here’s another current example from Ebay/France:
HI-PRO USB
Numéro de l’objet eBay : 371221463389
306 EUR/$332 USD
Lieu où se trouve l’objet : Shenzhen, Chine
Lieu de livraison : Monde entier Afficher les exclusions

Anyone know what to expect for import duty for an item like this (or similar)?

I talked on the phone with American Express (Amex) about credit card chargeback rights. Amex Credit cards issued in Europe do have similar credit card chargeback rights. They may not be exactly the same as in the USA (for example the time limits for disputing a charge may be different). But I believe that you can dispute a charge if the seller ships junk in place of your item, or if the item is dead on arrival (DOA).

Your import duties may be different?? I don’t know. Here in the USA these things do not seem to stop for customs duties. I have ordered dozens of items from China, Singapore/etc and nothing has ever stopped for customs duties.

It’s probably going to attract the EU wide VAT of around 20% which can get the goods stuck in customs if you don’t have something worked out in advance. That would be 50 odd Euro you’d be out of pocket and have to reclaim from your local customs if the goods weren’t what you wanted. In addition to the return shipping and getting your card refunded by the original supplier.

Don’t forget that people tend to carry their own cash or use debit cards rather than credit cards for purchases - this also might be impacting their view of potential loss of funds.

I just bought (and received) this one:

HI-PRO USB Universal Digital Hearing Aids Aid Programmer For All Brand
eBay item number: 351266386883
$386 (5 available / 2 sold)

Contacted seller and got it including two CS44 cables for $400,- (€390). Shipping to The Netherlands.
Ordered 2015-03-17, received 2015-03-27. Went through customs, got opened but did not have to pay any clearance charges or VAT, which would normally only apply to goods with a value less than €22,-.

Now I need to get some ps/2 extension cables to make the CS44 to CS44a converter.

Very cool Enyan!

Thank you for being a Trail Blazer. Nice job on negotiating a good deal on cables too! I have a question…

When I search Ebay here in the USA for 351266386883 I find the same item that you reference. Namely;
>> HI-PRO USB << this is a link to the item
$386 (5 available / 2 sold)

Is it correct that you used USA Ebay to order a Hi-Pro from Shenzhen, China and have it shipped to the Netherlands?

Today, that same Ebay seller (storeshow 5648) has reduced the price…
>> HI-PRO USB << this is a link to the item
Was: US $386.00
Now: US $324.24
You save: $61.76 (16% off)
or Make Offer

Though, you probably already got a discount by getting a package deal with the cables. I think if you buy in a currency that is different than your payment method you may suffer a foreign exchange/FX fee from your credit card company. Though, some credit card companies are eliminating this fee which is usually about 3 percent. btw> I am not promoting or recommending this specific seller. I just think it is newsworthy that the price was cut.

I bought with paypal, which has its own exchange rate to euro with my dutch bank account (dollar to euro is bad rate at the moment unfortunately).
I think I could probably have gotten a better deal, but I was just too eager to get one and I’m happy I got it :slight_smile:
It’s good to do a little research on all ebay sites for prices, most ship worldwide and your ebay account works on all ebay sites anyway. Ebay is weird in that way that it doesn’t show all items even when you search worldwide.

Also please note that for the deal I made, the seller asked for my paypal directly but I just bid the negotiated price on the item and included in the additional message box (which is legally binding for the bid) that it was for hi-pro including two cs44 cables.

I also asked this seller what is the actual price of the item, just out of curiosity. Let’s see if I get an answer :slight_smile:

Anyway, tested it yesterday with the HI-PRO2 drivers downloaded from otometrics and it is detected fine with up to date firmware. Also detected in Target software so I just need to make the cs44 to cs44a convertors to get going, exciting and a little scary.

Look at >> page6 of this thread << for CS44a cables from http://lloydhearingaid.com/
or Email Sarah....sarah@lloydhearingaid.com

The linked post is from 2012 and mail to that address bounced with “550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable”

But I used Lloyds’s contact us form to inquire.

I did make a search on the hi-pro on Ebay but I found only some sellers from the US.
So why the Shenzhen sellers have disappeared?
Or do E-Bay block some contents?
Regards

I still see them…

eBay item number: 311210120710
US $339.00
9 available / 9 sold
FREE ePacket delivery from China
Ships to: Worldwide

eBay item number: 361272320791
US $330.00
9 available / 1 sold

US $343.54 or Make Offer
4 available / 3 sold

Thx I checked out why it not shows up.
Because they will not ship it to Switzerland.
So there is one automatic kind of Filter on Ebay which hide that to me even when I open ebay.com and select worldwide.