BTE case behind ear rubs a blister

I have a customer who has worn aids since the 1980’s. He says the BTE case always rubs a blister on the back of his ear. His ears aren’t really close set to his head, so I can’t figure out why this would be the case. His wife says he blisters easily. He wants me to order something to prevent this. Do any of you have a suggestion? I have never encountered this.

Ear Gear covers?

https://www.gearforears.com/

1 Like

Has he spoken to a pharmacist? This may be a skin rather than aid issue. He could try micropore tape initially where it usually blisters, or a tiny bit of Vaseline if it won’t affect the aid. Sometimes the skin just needs a bit of help initially to toughen up and then it will settle. Also check it’s angled correctly against the ear as a slight kink against it could cause irritation.

1 Like

Hello, I’ve worn BTE aids since 1985. I’ve had the same issue a few times. It turned out that it was the tube. When the tube is short, it brings the hook and the aid itself in very close contact with the behind of the ear, which leads to friction with the skin. Making the tube longer would fix this issue. I hope you find this suggestion helpful. Regards

1 Like

Thank you for responding. I really appreciate your experience. That was exactly what I had told him I thought the problem could be. His skin looks very thin with fine pores. It is very beautiful skin. I consider the case of hearing aid to be very smooth but I will be very careful about the receiver length causing any uncomfortable friction. I regret that since he needs custom power receivers, if there is a problem, they will need time to be rebuilt.

1 Like

He could also try putting mole skin around the BTE… This might help prevent direct friction on the ear.

BTE aids.
What size tubes is he using?
Could he get by with slimtubes?
Is he using domes or molds?
Blisters are from movement/friction. Why are the aids moving?

Now I am confused. Is he wearing BTE or RIC aids?

1 Like