Brand New Here....getting desperate for ans. to help thru frequency control

I have severe high frequency tinnitus, with some loss of hearing in one ear. I have had the ct scans and everything needed to conclude there is no cancer or medical anomaly for the problem. There is a tinnitus clinic several hundred km from me, but I know they do not provide the model or the help I seek. They provide counselling and aids that produce white noise.

Currently I can get some relief in the evenings with good solid doses of codeine…not a long term solution obviously.

My doctor and I are seeking technology for actual noise cancelling hearing aids using tuneable frequency generator…not just an additional white noise. I may need to approach engineering departments in university etc. since I have not found a hearing aid on the market…though I have not been looking long.

Look, I know the clinic and other makers say what I want has been tried and does not succeed. I want to see if someone has an aid on the market for me to test myself before I have to test and seek out a product from the many makers who are all certain their approach is best. Several dozen thousand dollars later I may be no further ahead at all.

I would really appreciate a direction from someone who has heard of a product now or in the past with tuneable frequency cancellation technology in a hearing aid. Thanks very much.

0 Likes

What are you trying to cancel exactly? The tinnitus is in your head, it is not an external sound.

0 Likes

Masking it with white noise is probably the best you can do. Mine is severe also and drives me crazy sometimes, but I can normally manage to ignore it. I have chosen not to use white noise generators. Resound has an app you can try, Resound Relief, for hearing aids that don’t have tinnitus masking.

0 Likes

You might want to research Signia’s “Notch Therapy.”

0 Likes

Thank you, Don. As I say, I know nothing about hearing aids etc. as I am beginning this research. What is an aid that has tinnitus masking? Is tinnitus masking similar to what I asked about cancellation or is it generating a sound on top of the tinnitus without regard to frequency cancellation merely to add a distraction or compensation?

0 Likes

Thank you Neville. I realize what you said is true. If you have tinnitus have you ever sat at your computer and generated a frequency that is opposite in wave amplitude peak to your tinnitus frequency? Internal or not, the externally applied sound cancels the ringing noise within. I want such a generator in an earpiece similar to those employed in automobiles and aircraft for the purpose. Some people say this does not work and such a device is not available. Some say it does work and I may be able to find such a device or have an engineer build one for me.

0 Likes

For me, I can cancel out my tinnitus with all sorts of different sounds, liberally applied. The trick is finding a sound that I’d like to listen to in long intervals.

Unless you are talking about finding a sound that, when applied, they both cancel out eachother resulting in silence. In which case no I’ve never experienced that and am not sure how it would work from a neurological perspective. Seems unlikely.

0 Likes

Tinnitus can be resolved for some and not others. It’s a really hit or miss situation.

The standard “treatment” is grey/white sounds. You can try this by searching grey sounds on Google and listen to them to see if it helps. If it does there are also generators that can be purchase to provide it constantly.

The alternative is what was mentioned by @MDB. The aid generates counter frequencies to try to mute the tinnitus. That is a Signia feature and some others may do it but that one is a known feature. Again, results vary. If it is a variable tone you hear that’s more problem.

Sadly, there is no one solution that works for everyone.

0 Likes

There may be a way for you to experiment with this at low cost before seeking out hearing aids. If you have an iphone there are plenty of frequency generator apps that can be had for free or for a very low cost. Also as an ‘off the wall idea’ there is an app modeled after a classic synthesizer called the minimoog model D. What may be interesting there is that you can have several oscillators in use at once, can select the range and detune them a bit, which creates a pleasant (well at least to some) sound. Just be careful not to detune too far. You can also select the kind of waveform shape on the oscillators and blend in white or pink noise as well. Might be worth a few dollars to experiment, Good Luck.

0 Likes

Thanks, Ken and Waynetc. Yes, that model, Ken, sounds like one I would like to find out more about. I do realize that results for people vary with all methods of tinnitus “treatment”. I live in a small town and not much is known by the professionals here. My doctor is understanding and we are investigating together as he is learning as much as possible.

Waynetc, I know exactly what you mean and have tried such experiments with my laptop and headphones as well. The results were encouraging and that is why I am experimenting. That was what I was trying to tell Neville.

Thank you all. I am able to ignore my tinnitus at most times, especially during the day. During the last year it has become louder and that is what prompted me to start research. In a way, at my age I just keep in mind that when I wake up and hear it again I can at least be pleased that I did wake up. Not to be dark, I find that is the best medicine…treat it as a confirmation that I am still going forward.

As regard tones…luckily the main one is a constant singe frequency. But I do know what you mean. Just by way of interest for anyone else studying this, I also seem to really faintly detect what I liken most to a clock ticking…yet I cannot be sure it is there. Finally, in the winter cold and flu season things can really become interesting and even amusing. One recent winter for several weeks I had developed what can only best be described as a clanging on top of everything else…a clanging just like someone was hitting an empty copper waterpipe near my head…which corresponded to my pulse. Wild! Good thing I don’t have that regularly to try to mask.

0 Likes

You may find that just having aids dampens or eliminates the tinnitus. I had strong, variable tinnitus when my Meniere’s was active. It would actually amp up when an attack was coming. After the Meniere’s stopped, it was lessened but still present. When I wore aids, it took a month or so to weaken and finally stop. I still get an occasional bit of it but it is almost nonexistent. My aids have no tinnitus features.

0 Likes

The Signia notch therapy (or notch therapy in general) does not generate a counter frequency. Rather, it removes any sound/amplification at the frequency of the tinnitus and amplifies the sounds around it. The theory is that over time this will promote increased lateral inhibition in the brain and result in a softer tinnitus perception. If you have hearing loss, then it is nice to have access to the notched therapy in a hearing aid, but if you don’t you can notch music yourself with a good sound editor. I did the latter to attempt to treat my tinnitus when it first came on to good effect, but with an N of 1 I can’t really say that it was the notched therapy that improved my tinnitus or just general sound therapy and time for adaptation.

(I actually requested that Signia implement notched therapy in their hearing aids a few years before it came out, because it seemed to be a very simple implementation of some research that had a few positive findings. Chances are low that my request directly led to the product, but I like to entertain myself by thinking it did.)

I should mention, however, that spending a lot of time listening to and thinking/worrying about your tinnitus will make it louder for sure, so digging deep into it can be a little bit counter-productive.

Physical and psychological stress can also increase tinnitus. So if your tinnitus isn’t just getting worse because of an increase in untreated hearing loss, I’d wonder about what’s been going on in your life over the last year medically or psychologically.

1 Like