Bose Hearphone Experience

Would anyone with severe hearing loss that has tried the Bose Hearphones please relate it here.
The Bose website has no meaningful information on it and Bose will not respond to my requests for information.
I am presently using a Bellman PSAP as my primary hearing aid after my Rexton Bridge P hearing aids became inadequate.
I’m concerned that the Bose may not have enough sound output level.
If it does have sufficient output I’m concerned that without custom earmolds there will be too much feedback(oscillation).
The alternative to these seems to be the new Costco KS8 P(for severe loss) with a Smart mic accessory.
My concern with this is Signia has a terrible reputation with the EasyTek streamer and I have seen no reports on the Smart Mic.
Any information, suggestions will be deeply appreciated.

Do a search and you’ll find reviews of it here in this forum.

I think that you might find that no hearable will be marketed to people with severe hearing loss. They may work for you but no-one is going to guarantee it. If you are interested in that sector you might want to consider the NuHeara Boost which will be released soon. At least they do respond to queries (from what I’ve been told) and I think there’s a 30 day return policy. There also may be a 10% discount still available for pre-orders. They have been upfront about supporting people with hearing issues. The others have been coy about it.

You might want to try Sound World Solutions. One member on here loves them and his loss is not dissimilar to yours.

I’m assuming there is no Bose store near you so you can do a quick demo and see for yourself? I have a pair and they’re great, but I’ll be honest I seldom wear them anymore. They’re clunky and I feel the need to explain to people why I’m wearing “headphones” while at dinner or something. Anyway I have a moderately severe hearing loss and they had more than enough volume for me. Although my loss is in the lower frequencies mostly. You can seen my audiogram and make your own assumptions.

Thanks for the responses.
I live in Thailand and Bose has no presence here.
The nearest Costco is in Taipei, Taiwan which is a 4 hour plane trip to another country.
I’ve been unable to find any hearing aid provider here.
My choices seem to be;

1. Keep using the Bellman which works adequately.
  2. Order the clunky Bose that might work.
  3. A holiday in Taiwan to try the KS8, with the high risk of the potential reliability of the Smart Mic.
    Think it will be the Bellman until I get some feedback on the new streamer for the KS8.

Bose Hearphones are a re-invention of the Quiet Control 30 Noise Cancelling head sets. First and foremost this equipment was designed and built to reduce or eliminate noise, and Bose has a wonderful handle on that. With the hearphones, they essentially added amplification to the mix, and it is quite a powerful amplifier!

However, it is NOT a hearing aid! While the software does allow for some adjustment of treble and base, it will not filter or process sound for specific hearing needs.

I bought my Hearphones as an upgrade to my previous QC30. While it is amazing how much I can turn up the volume in my world, compared to my hearing aids, it is also painful and fatiguing. I can actually turn the volume up enough to comfortably hear the television and voices in the room, but when the dog barks, or the phone rings, or the doorbell rings, or someone sets a glass down hard on the glass top coffee table, I can’t snatch them out of my ears fast enough!

Since there’s no background suppression to the microphone, these things are not a great phone system, as the caller hears all the stuff going on that you have tuned out.

They are my daily go-to equipment for noise suppression when I still need to know when my phone rings, or if I want to listen to some soft music while working in a very loud environment. They can save a night out when the live band shows up at your favorite restaurant, but don’t expect to be able to tune the band out and still hear table talk. They just aren’t that sophisticated. They are awesome for taming the stupid high volume of live bands!

Bottom line, despite all the marketing hype, Hearphones are superb noise suppression devices, with the added bonus of amplification when you need it. They do have directional focus settings, which helps, but only when the environment is relatively stable. Loud is still loud.

Compared to the cost of true hearing aids, $500 for Hearphones is not a huge investment, but if you’re expecting them to replace your programmed hearing aids, you’re likely going to be disappointed.

3 Likes

I tried a pair of Bose Hearphones. I found them difficult to use. Small buttons for control, limited volume control, earpieces hard to position correctly. I returned them after a week of use. I did like the Bluetooth connectivity.

I have the KS8 with the Smart Mic and power receivers, and I am listening to a lot more music now because it sounds good.

I recommend a closed fit for the best music.

OK, that’s the good. Now for the bad.

I have no idea why Signia went in this direction with Smart Mic, but it can connect to only one phone at a time and does not have the headphone jack input, both of these EasyTek has. I know Bluetooth transmitters are ubiquitous but it would have been convenient to have the wired jack.

But only one phone at a time, when their previous product connected to two, and the Resound Phone clip+ from 2013 connected to two???

I have moderate loss, but need hearing aids to understand speech for which I have been using Oticon iic’s for 5 years (used a ric for 5 years prior).

The Bose Hearphones provide better speech hearing as well as all the tech streaming bonuses that I could get with a streamer device on my iic’s.

My wife appreciates the Hearphones incredibly since she need not repeat everything.

I am using 1/4 of the world volume boost and just less than half of the treble boost, and usually keep them set to everywhere except in a noisy restaurant. so i think that they could serve well with more extreme hearing loss as well.

I am shocked at how good these are, but the neck unit twists and can be problematic to fit in my clothing.

battery life is not that great; I wish I had 2 sets, but am organizing my recharging to suit, and can always revert to the iic’s if need be.

Music is better than ever.

1 Like

I have two Bose Hearphones. Go to a Bose Store and try one. They are just $500, No batteries to buy, No audiologist, better sound, more controls. The guy that runs this site doesn’t like it because it doesn’t require a audiologist. Try it in the store it’s FREE.

I agree that they are neat devices. However several of us on the forum (me included) have tried them and returned them. Just depends on what you’re looking for.

For me, they are better in almost every way than my $6000 aids. Better in noise, better speech clarity, better for phone calls, and more. They are great for music and replace noise-cancelling headphones for flights.

But, they do need tweeking and take some getting used to. I switch back and forth between hearphones and aids depending on the situation.

I agree that they are not for everyone with hearing problems but you won’t know until you try them. But, if you try them, give them the full month trial. The annoying little problems, like the neck thing twisting, and the feedback noise, and the limited battery span, all have easy fixes. But, there is a learning curve with them.

Hearphones are not perfect but I believe they are pointing the way to the future for most of us with hearING problems.

I like my Bose Hearphones very much. In very noisy environments, I don’t get much out of my hearing aids, and I don’t perceive true directivity. Here the Bose performs much better and it also reduces reverb in rooms with a lot of reverb as reflections from behind are attenuated. For concerts, there is no better thing for me, as the sound quality clearly beats hearing aids and I can choose the volume that suits me. So in many situations, the Hearphones work great for me.
However, they are by no means a replacement for hearing aids. Notably they don’t offer the following features:

• No programmable MPO. Of course the output power is limited to what the device can do (like in any headphone). But still, if I turn up the volume to listen to someone and then there is an unexpected loud noise, it’s too loud for me and doesn’t seem healthy. So to me that is a major disadvantage when using it as amplifier rather than attenuator.
  • No volume compression
  • No frequency compression, which is quite relevant for me for speech recognition
  • No impulse suppression
  • Battery life
  • Also, when it is getting really loud and the noise cancellation does not work properly anymore as the mic or the amplifier goes into saturation and generates a distorted cancellation signal which sounds really bad and may even be louder than the original sound.
    Overall, to me it is a complementary product to hearing aids.
    It really depends on the situations and it certainly depends on the kind of hearing loss one has. Mine seems to fit quite well with the Hearphones as mid frequencies (~500Hz) are often too loud to me in everyday life (so I like to attenuate them), whereas I have a very step drop around 3kHz. So volume control and treble/bass control fits my needs pretty well but may not be of much use for others.

So far, my new M90-RTs seem to be at least as good, and better in some ways, than my Hearphones. I know I shouldn’t have to say that but these are my 4th pair of high-priced premium HAs and the other 3 weren’t.