Bone Conductor aids

My granddaughter, Gracie is 3 years old and wears a Bone Conductor aid. Recently she has had to add glasses for her vision and we are having a hard time anchoring the conductor strap to her head as she has a microcia (an underdeveloped ear that is placed almost 3/4" lower than the opposite ear).

Our poblem is finding a flexible “alice” band that will seat the conductor (the mic is not a problem) and also hold her glasses evenly on her head.

I am sure someone else, probably many someone elses, have met this problem and solved it. Thus far, we, the doctors, the audiologists, the aid dispenser and therapists have failed.

Gracie is cognitively above age level and her speech is developing nicely. We just +need to make things comfortable for her.

Can anyone help?

baha could do the trick

maybe a transear…

or cosegi i think sells spectacles with bone conductors

i would say baha is the best sol. out there

I have worn a bone conduction hearing aid for over 30 years (with an alice band) and glasses for 10 years. I also have microtia (on both sides, asymmetrically), but do not have quite as much difference in vertical placement of the ears as you have described.

The addition of glasses is still somewhat of a challenge, and I do not have any quick solutions for you. That said, here is how I have handled it and some suggestions.

First, you may have to straighten the ear bend in the frames of the glasses. In my case, I have straightened both sides of the frame, and the glasses are held on fairly well by sliding the frames underneath the alice band (the tension of the alice band against the head helps to hold them, as does the non-slip design of the nose piece of the eyeglass frames [standard frame construction; nothing unusual]).

Regarding the alice band…my mother always covered my headband: first, she wrapped it with a thin layer of padding; then, she covered with a slightly stretchy material (the stretchiness is helpful in sewing the cover on). To the cover, she attached a stabilizing band in the back–simply, a narrow strip of durable fabric (consider bias tape or something similar) with one end attached to the bottom of one side of the alice band fabric cover and the other end attached to the bottom of the other side (above the conductor mount/swivel). The loop in the back rested under my hair, against the lower part of the skull, and helped keep the alice band safely in place through the various runnings-around of an active, curious child.

If you covered the headband, it might be possible to attach some kind of “loops” or “guides” through which the “earpieces” of the glasses could be inserted. It might also help to hold the glasses on with an elastic strap that stretches around the head (think of safety glasses/goggles). I tried this briefly, but discontinued usage as it did not improve the fit of the glasses in my case.

Xbulder (the previous responder) is correct to recommend looking into BAHA (bone-anchored hearing aid). This has recently been recommended to me as well. However, after having functioned well to date without it, I personally am reluctant to undergo the surgery (although I am interested in hearing the experiences of those who have known both sides: bone conduction and BAHA).

I hope that sharing my experience has been of some help. Please feel free to contact me via the private message capability of this forum if you have any further questions.

Who or what is Cosegi that is mentioned in this thread as a maker of glass frames that also act as bone transferr hearing aids? Thanks.

http://www.coselgi.it/index.php?l=eng

In austalia and New Zealand they are distured by Widex
http://www.widex.com.au/hearing%20aids/coselgi%20spectacle%20aids.aspx

those are pricey!